If you only had $20k to spend on a grinder...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 352 means you can tackle anything.....the 252 is a lazy mans dosko...sorry lee.....it would be nice to have a tracked 60 horse.....but 352 with a narrow pedestrian machine...or magnum is the way to go....+ the right attitude....that goes a long way.....

THE 252 DOES NOT TIP EASY ,if you use the extra wheels and or common sense! I know one thing the 252 out sells most introductory machines 2 to 1..

Jazak have you ever ''owned'' a 252??? I have and not a problem with componont's ,power or cutting ability in 5 years ! [remember this guy is doing domestic stump cutting,not lot clearing] if you think a 252 is a POS i'd take a look at the operator first,I know some who shouldn't be let loose with a wheel barrow let alone a stump grinder!!

Sharp teeth are what you need with ALL stump grinders,and patience.

Last edited:
Bigstumps said:
I know Briggs & Stratton does build some junk - small cheap engines for small cheap mowers - heck you can buy a complete mower at Wal - Mart for $145.00!!

The Vanguards are Briggs/Daihatsu (sic) made in Japan. They are smooth, quiet and powerful. Demo one!!

We get Brigs vanguards over here little chitty units under 15 hp ,but yes mate know where your coming from I have a Diahatsu/Vanguard on my 352..;)

any grinders easy to tip over with the "right"operator,a new set of teeth on 252/ 1625 you will get thru some big stumps.

I would not call my 252 a POS. It has been a work horse for many years and if the teeth are fairly fresh it cuts great. I do agree I wished it moved faster between stumps. My 252 does not get used as much now that I have 60TX but it still can get to tight areas that the 60TX can't. I would diffently like to find out about Plyscamp 28hp diesel on the 252. That way I would only have to carry one type of fuel and a few extra HP would be nice.

I posted last night and it did not show up on the thread.

In regards to modifications to install the diesel on the 252, I had to make a new engine mounting plate and shift the clutch, belts and jackshaft about 4 inches to left. The new jackshaft is custom made out of 1.5" 4130 steel and is 4" longer than the original and now rides on 3 Ea 1.5" Pillow block bearings. Clutch belts are 2 Ea. Standard BX65, Cutter head belts are 3 Ea. BX45. new mounting brackets for the engine to jackshaft belt cover. Return fuel line to the gas tank for excess fuel from the fuel injectors. And I am sure I am missing other misc. items.

This engine wieghs about 200 pounds more than the Kohler and is phisically much larger, However it has not hampered the accsess to tight areas. The newer 9LD (used on the Carlton) which replaced the 8LD is smaller and lighter and would not take as much modification to install. I stumbeled into a deal on 2 of the 8LD engines new on the pallets for the price of one 35 H.P. Briggs and decided to give it a try.

I see many of you complaining about the ground speed on the 252. Put a smaller Pulley on the hydraulic pump. I think the one we use is a 3.5" diameter 1/2" belt and a 9/16" inside diameter. you will also need a new 4L250 belt. This will increase your ground speed, up an down response and increase your swing speed.

Someone asked about pictures and I do have them, just not sure how to post them.

Last edited:
I'm not the one that called it a POS but I do think there are better options. The 252 was a inexpensive copy of the 1625 at the time. Vermeer didn't invent or even improve on the 1625. They took a 1625 and got rid of the ground stake and tongue extension and put their name on it. Since then Rayco has redesigned the 1625.

Rayco and Carlton were making the small hydraulic self propelled machines for years (the 1620 and the 2000 both with 20HP Kohler magnums) while Vermeer was still making the old 176 handlebar ( which is probably the best handlebar (imo) ever made.)

ROLLACOSTA said:
Last time I checked the 252 and 4012 both had the same gas engine.

They do but Carlton has the Lombardini diesel as an optoin Vermeer does not and will not provide it because it will hurt sales for their 352s.

Carlton and Rayco also both offer larger gas engines. I've seen the 35 horse Carlton 4012 cut - pretty impressive. I own an older Carlton self propelled - no need for me to upgrade as I have larger machines also.

Bigstumps said:
Carlton and Rayco also both offer larger gas engines. I've seen the 35 horse Carlton 4012 cut - pretty impressive. I own an older Carlton self propelled - no need for me to upgrade as I have larger machines also.

I don't think they do,well not according to their websites!!!

Last edited:
Carlton SP4012 27-29hp Gas Kohler Command Pro
Gas Briggs & Straton
Diesel Lombardini

Carlton SP7015 48 or 60hp Diesel Duezt Turbocharged

Rayco 1625A & 1625 Super JR. 25-30hp Kohler Command
Briggs & Straton

Rayco RG50 48hp Duezt diesel

jazak said:
Gas Briggs & Straton

That's the 35HP. I've seen it at shows (Southern ISA) and in the field with the competition. My old 630 I started with only had 35HP!!! Like to have the pile of money that machine turned!!!!:cheers:

I would not buy anything that did not hve a local dealer for parts and service. That eliminates the Carlton, right off the bat for me, and I would think, most people. Seems like they have few dealers, or maybe they just sell direct, I am not sure. When I was looking, I called Carlton, and they gave me all kinds of assurances how they could get any needed parts to me next day. The sales guy said he would call me the next day to give me a price, that included freight to my town. Well, never heard back from anyone at Carlton. I figured if they could not remember to call me back with a price on a new machine, well, then good luck getting any parts out of them.
No matter how good a Carlton, or any machine is reported to be, I will not buy without a demo of the machine I am sinking money into.
Now, as to the question, here is what I just did.
Rayco 1625A, new: Price with tax $13,600.00
Used 6x10, tilt bed trailer: " " " $675.00
Pickup, (already have one)
Total invested to start my Stump grinding business: $14,275.00

I work a little, two evenings/week, and a half day on Saturday, and, am grossing about $800.00/week. I am stil increasing my pricing a little, as I am well below what my 2 competitors charge. However, I refuse to rip off customers like they do.

Mowingman said:
I work a little, two evenings/week, and a half day on Saturday, and, am grossing about $800.00/week.

Your business plan is flawed if you think you are going to consistantly make $800 "working a little two evenings/week, and a half day on Saturday"

I see you people come and go all the time. Sure there are days when you will make good money, but not $800/week working a little on less than a $20,000 investment.

This is exactly why there are such good deals on used machines. :laugh:

I don't think my plan is flawed. I have a current backlog of over 125 stumps waiting on me. A friend of mine owns one of the 3 largest tree trimming/removal companies in our town. I do all his stump work. In fact, I do not advertise, or work for anyone else. My machine will pay for itself in less than 6 months, after expenses. After that, it is all profit after routine expenses. I have averaged the $800.00/week since I started this 12 weeks ago.There is no letup in sight, and my only limit now is how many hours I want to work/week.
Do you think I am going to run out of stumps to grind? That is not going to happen.

Well some one else could see how well you are doing and start their own company and the compitition will rise or your buddy will go get his own which like always happens and then you will have to advertise. I would get a contract from your buddy that states you get contracted out to do all his stumps from the date signed to *****. Good luck with your company though hope everything works out for you.

Latest posts

Back