If you only want ONE saw, this is it...(w/pics).

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for the Jonsered 2165. I have 2 of them and they get used more than the others. It all depends on what you are cutting. An all around saw for me will spend 90% of its life in maple, generally big dry maple. The high rev saws just don't appeal to me. Too many years on the old Mac Super 44 I guess!!!:)

I'd take my new baby with me if I could only pick one saw.
Although in Sweden it would be wise to pick a 60cc. So a 262XPG or the 2171.

attachment.php

I ran one saw for about 6 months... I agree with you, a 50cc saw (A very strong one) is a darn fine saw to cover about all tasks. You can hit the light stuff, and still produce some decent firewood in a little bit of time.

However, making the jump to the 60cc saws, well that just makes it fun.

Jumping into a 70cc saw... that makes getting firewood even funner. Next thing I know, im standing in a clear cut thinking "Ill never get this loaded up...."

I have yet to run a 441, I really want to... I think if I was going to do all my cutting on the ground, thats what I'd want for just one. My 361 is a fine choice right now for an all around saw.

But honestly... life is too short for one saw!

Truth be told, I could probably get by with a 5100 with an 18" b&c as my only saw. My biggest saw was an 029 for a long time. My biggest problem with the 5100 is the only Dolmar dealer in my area didn't even stock it. :confused:

nice toy

are ya usin .325 or .375. if yur usin stock safety chain yur missin out on performance. i would run 20" bar and full skip semi chisel chain:jawdrop: :hmm3grin2orange: i personally run a Stihl Ms 260 Pro with a 20" full skip full chisel and shaved riders and 3/4 wrap handle,it would make the dullmar:chainsaw: look like a toy :yoyo: just funin with ya great little toy.
just my beer monies worth
cheers mates

I'm sure the 5100 is a nice saw, wouldn't mind having one someday. But only one???????? I am thinking 372, 440, 7900 or 460 size for all around use.

.....depends on where you are, really no need for a 70cc saw here, but I still had to have one (372xpg).......

:chainsawguy: :chainsawguy:

Last edited:
Yea, I think the Dolmar 7900 or the Stihl ms361 would also be a perfect "one" saw for most people. Of course there is the exceptions....(most everyone here!), but for the average woodcutter using it for felling a wide range of trees ,but nothing too large, they all would be perfect *One* saws.

The Stihls just going to cost more!;)

So what's with the MS361 is nice but too expensive comments? From the looks of the SuperHunkyRanch I'm thinking you could somehow scrape up a couple hundred more dollars for that 361 if you wanted to.

So what's with the MS361 is nice but too expensive comments? From the looks of the SuperHunkyRanch I'm thinking you could somehow scrape up a couple hundred more dollars for that 361 if you wanted to.

:laugh: :laugh: I guess it is the old "if you lack a cent, you are not a millionare" story.....

.... but a multi one should't really have to care........:bang: :bang:

His final choise was a sound one, anyway!

Last edited:

:ices_rofl: BINGO:ices_rofl: , just what I was thinking. But the 361 is a little pricey imo too new. Heck you can get a new 372 for the same price. But thats just another story down the road.
I would say from a homeowners view, something between the 5100 and the 361 is the perfect size for the average homeowner.

If I could only have 2 saws?

I would have to go with the 5100 and the 7900,until I can find something better!:chainsawguy:

I just cut with both of them last night and the 5100 sure is nice for the limbing, and then it was just plain fun to hit the big stuff with the 7900:rockn:

Dolmar 5100 is a great 3 cube saw to be sure. I don't think anyone wants to debate that it isn't a rockin' little saw.

Dealer and parts support is a really important factor in choosing a piece of equipment. Beyond that it comes down to $$$ and application.

I'm thinking Hunky is going to need a 7900 in the near future.

Way to go on the saw, thanks for all your input. I know we all really appreciate the REAL WORLD experiences on the equipment seen here.

In my opinion, It's a waste of time cutting wood that large with a 50cc saw. How long did each round take to cut? Let's say you take 20 seconds, which is generous. Cut with a larger saw, say an 066 or 394, you would be saving mucho time. You said 24", I have my 365 husky out long before the logs get that big. I am usually on to the 394 with stuff that large. I get what you say about if you could only have one saw. If I could only have one, it would be my 365.

365/372 is surprisingly my newbie Choice.. I really wanted to love stihls and see what the prejudice is all about ( I am a Chevy over Ford guy too:D ), but with my whole 4 hrs of cutting experience behind me I was shocked as to how strong my husky performed over my stihl. I have never tried the much loved Dolmar, but to start, it sure looks funny. The Saturn or Hyundai of saws? :buttkick:
Then again, You sir have one killer house with far more trees then I have ever seen let alone cut, so Im sure you know something that I dont.. :D

When all you need is a 18-20" bar, you gonna use a 372 over a 361?
Yes I probably would have, whats a freaking 1.5LBS difference for the extra power you get. I would grab my 7900 over the 361 and 357 also, But that is just me, more power, screw weight issues. :biggrinbounce2:
Weight is not a issue with me, Power for the job at hand is ;) . I was using the 084 with 21" for hours the other day. I could have grabbed the 066 or 7900 or 357 or 5000 with 20"s, but did I, no. Because the job would have taken longer!

Maybe not so much with the 066, but just the raw ripping power of the 084 makes you over look 21LBS when working with it.:laugh:

Yes I probably would have, whats a freaking 1.5LBS difference for the extra power you get. I would grab my 7900 over the 361 and 357 also, But that is just me, more power, screw weight issues. :biggrinbounce2:
Weight is not a issue with me, Power for the job at hand is ;) . I was using the 084 with 21" for hours the other day. I could have grabbed the 066 or 7900 or 357 or 5000 with 20"s, but did I, no. Because the job would have taken longer!

Maybe not so much with the 066, but just the raw ripping power of the 084 makes you over look 21LBS when working with it.:laugh:

You sound like a big strong boy! I am as well,back is still good. Say all else has fouled plugs, could you use that 21 lb saw for a days work? In say an aqward area where your footing is limited, can you put your arms out in front of you and direct and move the saw or at some point are you arching your back and bending your knees trying to carry the weight elsewhere then with your arms?

My 880 was brand new and just broke and I am thinking of going down to the 660 in homes of using it as an everything saw., I don't use a saw anything much at all, and I love big block everythings, thats why I got it but It seems like the 660 can do most anything the 880 can.
I only bought it in hopes of making it a race/high mod someday when I think I can handle it. I don't want a saw thats to big to use, but I also don't want to spend the time and $ to mod a 660 and say "imagine if it where the 880, how much more punch it could have had".
Your thoughts?

No, no and no. :laugh: . I am a homeowner and I ain't carrying **** any distance. I will let the carryall behind the ATV haul all of them to the woods, Then I just carry stuff less then a 100 yards. Life is sweet.

If I was having to carry a saw my trusty 7900 would be in tow with its extra 1.5LBS over the 361. I know it can handle anything between the 50cc-92cc saws. Plus the option of running the 16,20,24,or 32 when needed.

The 084 is mainly a play saw to me, but it sure has come in handy lately with all the dang big rip cuttings.

Latest posts

Back