Ignition Problem - MS 210

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotarysound

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Chainsaw fans,

I have not posted in a while and hope I can get some feedback on a new situation:

MS 210 - 34 days out of warranty.
No Spark

This is an all of a sudden thing. Before I suspect the coil, I want to exhaust the options. So far I have done the following:

1. Checked, cleaned and gapped and then replaced the plug with new.
2. Unscrewed the plug and checked the plug for spark...no spark.
3. Pulled the boot spring out and reattached as directed by shop manual.
3. Measured the resistance of the plug boot spring to ground...open...argh.
4. Measured the resistance of the control switch lead to ground...looks normal.

Next, I guess I plan to get a better look at the lead wire, detach it and measure the resistance to spec.

Any ideas or suggestions at this point?

Thanks all

check wire for on / off switch, mine went bad and was shorting out, so i would not get a spark

Hi Chainsaw fans,

I have not posted in a while and hope I can get some feedback on a new situation:

MS 210 - 34 days out of warranty.
No Spark

Are you talking about the 1 year standard consumer warranty? I believe the ignition warranty goes beyond the std. warranty period.

(it was lifetime but I think I read it's now 5 years to the original owner)

Check with your dealer before you do to much fiddling around with it.

Last edited:
Well, it's fixed. I tore it down far enough to get a resistance reading on the coil.
It was 11K ohms which is in spec. The plug boot spring was not conducting so I re-punctured the coil lead wire with the hook end of the plug boot spring on the opposite side of the lead wire. It fired right up after that.

You are right though. It sounds like the dealer might have fixed it and made an exception to the expired 1 year consumer warranty in this case. I can't imagine that a saw that fails to have spark after one year could be very cool to the dealer, Stihl or the customer. I think I will take it to them anyway and see if they will look it over and at least give it a clean bill of health.

Are you talking about the 1 year standard consumer warranty? I believe the ignition warranty goes beyond the std. warranty period.

(it was lifetime but I think I read it's now 5 years to the original owner)

Check with your dealer before you do to much fiddling around with it.

Latest posts

Back