Ignition wiring on Stihl 029 290 390 photo needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hkusp9

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
anybody got a picture of the igniton coil and wiring from the coil to the cylinder (with the flywheel off) on a Stihl 029 or 390 or any other similar series saw. Im PRETTY SURE that i have the wiring right, but just want to be sure.

Do you have a service manual ?

If not send me a email and Ill send you one [email protected]

I can take some pic's tomorrow

yes, ive read the service manual several times but the wiring diagram on the service manual and the IPL doesnt maket it perfectly clear. Im going to take in out in the garage in a minute and spark test it.

ok , i didnt think i got the wiring back together right but i guess i did because it shows to have strong spark with my tester so I guess all i have to do now is wait for my compression release valve to get here and i can test this sucker out!

ok , i didnt think i got the wiring back together right but i guess i did because it shows to have strong spark with my tester so I guess all i have to do now is wait for my compression release valve to get here and i can test this sucker out!

Sweet :cool2:

Sweet :cool2:

dont get too excited and jinx me just yet. I took this saw apart two weeks ago and ordered parts and could barely remember how to get it back together when i got around to assembling it. There was a thread on here recently where a guy built one of these things in 39 minutes, and although i can see how thats completely plausible if you've done it a couple of times before, it took me like 3-4 hrs. Routing all the wires correctly was a complete pain in the butt for me.

Anyhow, its completely rebuilt now. Its a 029 super with a new baileys 390 motor and a rebuilt carb and all. It smells like its getting fuel and it has spark, so i just have to wait for the plug to get in so i can mess with it a little bit.

dont get too excited and jinx me just yet. I took this saw apart two weeks ago and ordered parts and could barely remember how to get it back together when i got around to assembling it. There was a thread on here recently where a guy built one of these things in 39 minutes, and although i can see how thats completely plausible if you've done it a couple of times before, it took me like 3-4 hrs. Routing all the wires correctly was a complete pain in the butt for me.

Anyhow, its completely rebuilt now. Its a 029 super with a new baileys 390 motor and a rebuilt carb and all. It smells like its getting fuel and it has spark, so i just have to wait for the plug to get in so i can mess with it a little bit.

You going to have to cut a hole in the cover if you use the decomp. Otherwise you won't be able to access it. I did the same thing and now wish I had simply blocked the decomp hole with a 10mm. plug.
Bob

I did the same thing I also open up the ports; you can get that plug at your Stihl dealer :msp_thumbup:

AWWW man!

You guys make me jealous. I have a Bailey's 390 kit I got on their good sale a few weeks (months?) ago. Been looking for a burned up 290/310/390 to play with, but can't find one.

I have an almost new 290, but I'm not willing to tear it up to make a 390.

I guess i need to look harder for someone else's burned up mistake.

You guys make me jealous. I have a Bailey's 390 kit I got on their good sale a few weeks (months?) ago. Been looking for a burned up 290/310/390 to play with, but can't find one.

This is what mine looked like when I was done building it but it don't look like this any more

DSC_7991.jpg

Whatcha Got to Swap?

Not to Hijack OP's success- C'mon Man, you don't need no stinkin Decomp for 64 cc's, DO you? Plug it and run it. IF your daughter needs the decomp, it'll be in in a day or two.

Whatcha Got to Swap?

Not to Hijack OP's success- C'mon Man, you don't need no stinkin Decomp for 64 cc's, DO you? Plug it and run it. IF your daughter needs the decomp, it'll be in in a day or two.

No worried about hijacking, i got what i needed out of this thread, and no worries about the comp release issue either, only reason im putting one on there is because i dont know the thread size and didnt want to screw something up by thowing a hardware store bolt in there.

well i got the whole thing back together... Had to drill a hole in the top cover to fit the decomp button and I'm also missing the fuel tank vent hose and a new fuel line and a new bar stud that baileys was SUPPOST to be shipping me as soon as they came in stock, (like a week or two ago) but i havent seen them yet.

I figured no big deal right? The fuel line looked ok and I could test run and tune it without the fuel vent as long as the saw sat flat and level right?

Well, i had absolutely positively no luck starting this thing at all. Messed with it for 2-3 hours tonight. Looked in the carb a few times and couldnt figure out what was clogging it or messing with it. Finally i realized that the carb was bone dry big time and figured that the fuel line had to be clogged so i blew in it and sucked on it and had flow both ways.

So whats wrong????

Then FINALLY i discovered it. The fuel line had cracks in it where it makes a sharp bend to connect to carb. If the hose was off and straight when i was blowing and sucking, those cracks were closed. However when attached to the carb, the cracks would open up and the carb couldn't suck fuel, just air through the fuel line.

I used a cut up piece of Mcculloch SP125 Impulse line for a super ghetto temporary makeshift fuel line and got the thing running no sweat.

I still have some heavy carb tuning to do before i can get the thing to run, but i want going to try to knock that out in my buttoned up garage at 5 AM without hearing protection....

Anyhow, moral of the story, CHECK YOUR FUEL LINE!

Its probably bad. :msp_tongue:

Sounds good. Open the muffler up and it'll really scream.
Bob

already did that. My left ear drum is hurting right now from the overpressure caused by the saw screeching and wailing in my little garage. Feel life after you crank off a couple rounds from a rifle in a small vehicle. :msp_ohmy:

Anyhow, im going to go try to scare up a fuel line somewhere local and then try it out if i can get some time.

I have back-up fuel lines for my saws you just never now when one will give out with the fuel we have now

The fuel now isn't the best; I don't let fuel stay in my fuel tanks of my saws for over week

Back