ike

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy2b

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Since ike came through south west ohio the trees in the woods i'll be cutting in have damage.. The top 1/3 is blown over but still hanging up there resting on other trees around it.
I need to have some idea's on how to bring them down safely?????
(there not called widow makers for nothing!) Some of the tops are about 40'up in the top of woods??
Thanks again for all your help, ideas, and opinions..........:confused:

i can't be but 15 mins from you! i know what it is like i have been cutting the damaged stuff out slowly since the storm. i have everything around my house done and am slowly working back through the woods. rope, chains, winches, tractors, truck and lots of patience are the things working for me. definatley don't get yourself into a position to hurt yourself. don't be afraid to ask for professional help. i did for one of mine just because i didn't have a bucket truck and the way it was split scared the heck out of me.
good luck with it and if i can help in any way let me know.

tcorns
[email protected]

ziggy - Without some pics, it's hard to say? Everyone of them will be a little different. A tree thats hung in another wants to be pulled away from it with a winch preferably, or enough chain or cable on a tractor or 4 wd that it can't fall on you. Sometimes they get pushed off the stump too with a machine. One that the top only is broke & hung, I'd want to notch & backcut in a way that's going to let it be pulled away from the tree it's hung in. Kind of hard to explain online. The backcut needn't be enough to drop it, as what you're pulling with will do that.

Back