I'm 13 Years Old And Need Help!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epdubbs

Reaction score
Alright... so first off I'm 13 and need some help. We have a Didier log splitter, and today while I was splitting wood for the sugar house, the hydraulic reservoir cap flew off, showering me with hydraulic fluid and losing the cap over a cliff.... Does anyone know where I may be able to go (either on the internet or to a store) to get one? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!
ebben

A quick google search seemed to tell me there aren't any parts suppliers...but there's still hope! From what I could tell looking at a picture of one, the hydraulic res cap looks a whole lot like an old style gas cap. I bet you could find a cap that would fit at an auto parts store, tractor supply, or one of those kind of stores.

-Phillip

out of curiosity why were you splitting wood on a cliff???

Alright... I guess cliff isn't the right word. Steep embankment is better! That just where we skidded the logs to, so that's where they're getting split. here in vermont everywhere is hilly..!

First off I commend you for being a hard worker at 13.I too was splitting wood and running equipment at 13,priceless experiencein todays job market.As to your problem (surplus center)has several breather/resevior caps,the one you lost is somewhere though.maybe a metal detector would help.

You might want to keep an eye on it for a while after you find your cap.With the fluid expanding that much you might have a problem with the hydraulics.

Your first problem isn't the missing cap, it's the FACT the reservoir vent plugged causing the cap to let go.

You can probably keep running by putitng a clean rag over the filler and securing it with a radiator hose clamp, or some tiewraps. Don't forget, when you shut down put a baggie over the filler to prevent water from entering via condensation.

Easiest way to dimension the cap so you can go to the parts store and find a replacement is a puck sized lump of playdough covered in Saran Wrap. Press the PlayDough gently into the cap opening and remove it. You'll have a pretty good model to work from.

We thought about using our metal detector, but seeing that it's probably down the steep embankment I think I'll end up getting a new one. I'll get a picture up this afternoon, but I'm at school now and will try to get a picture later...

Thanks for all your help!

ebben

Another A plus for his teachers and his parents or someone for getting him out there and working at such a young age, Buddy it will pay off you wait and see. Todays kids are playing games way to much... Labor jobs will be paying big bucks some day

Latest posts

Back