I'm a Stihl Fan Now, THANKS!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OopsDeals

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, I needed a new chainsaw, I had a Poulan Wild Thing, it was "I" thought good enough to get me by for the past 6-7 years, but the chain kept coming off and I decided to get a "good" chainsaw.

Since I only use it a handful of times a year (except this year, we had bad ice storms and I have about 10 trees down). I really never thought about it. But since I have alot of work ahead of me, I thought well, I'd better bite the bullet.

So yesterday I started doing some research on which chainsaw to get. As a typical homeowner I looked at Lowes, Home Depot and Sears online. Then I looked at Stihl.com. Then I started searching on various models. I went back and forth 260 to 290 to 270 to 361 then back the other way ... trying to get as much information as I could .. after reading many posts, I settled on the MS 270 C-B and went out tonight and picked one up (plus the BG85 blower).

Pretty excited (my son and I) I came back and went to one of the big 18" tree's that was down and within an hour I had it trimmed, hacked and conquered I was so flippin excited.

I cannot believe the DIFFERENCE between a wussy little Wildthing and a MS 270 Stihl. It was so smooth, cut like friggin butter.

My wife was gone when we came home .. but when she got back and walked up to me and I turned around with a big ole grin on my face she just laughed and said "Toy's" while shaking her head.

I just want to thank you folks for saying the same things over and over and helping me with my decsion. I am so glad I spent the $379.00, the Stihl. The guys at the shop were VERY helpful (S&H Farm Supply Rogersville, MO) and even threw in a Stihl case and some oil.

So again, Thanks.. Can't wait until tomorrow, going to start on my triple downed tree (one big tree, fell on a smaller tree and fell on another tree), it's a mess.

Once it's all completed and split, I will post some picks ...

Last edited:
welcome and glad to see it working out for ya. stihl makes a great saw you wont be upset with it at all

glad to see you bit the bullet.

the ms270 is a great saw.you made an excellent choice.

i think the wildthing should be banned.it's an eyesore to the communities it resides in.

Keep the Wild Thingie for a little junk saw when you want to carve up landscaping timbers or if you get your Stihl stuck in a kerf and need to rescue it.

I hear what your saying Oops. I have a Poulan Pro 262 which I bought for clearing trees when we built our house. It was suprisingly rugged considering the amount of very hard use I put it through, but it eventually siezed and I decided to spring for a Stihl 290. No comparison. Firstly, I ditched the stock low-kickback chain and replaced with Stihls most aggressive full chisel. The stock chain works fine but when you really have to get down to some heavy duty cutting (I've got a lot of Locust and Cherry), you might wanna consider getting a full chisel chain with no anti-kickback. But be aware that the faster chain is more prone to kickback. Be careful with plunge cuts and situations where the bar tip contacts wood.

As for my Poulan, I rebuilt the engine and put a 14 inch bar on it for light work.

But Stihls are sweet. My only complaint is that I now wish I had spent the extra money and gotten a 390 with the 20 inch bar. I've noticed how when you look at trees from a distance they seem a lot thinner then when you get right up on them. ;)

Ap,

Thanks for the tip on the chain, I will probably wait just alittle bit till I get used to it cutting so great and easy .. then upgrade the chain to make it cut even easier!!

Also, a great idea with my Poulan, to get a smaller bar to do some light stuff, but it's not as fun as my Stihl, so I can't imagine I'll want to pick it up again ... can you say Garage Sale?

$50.00 and someone will be happy with it I am sure!

If I just didn't have this Job thing going on, I would be out cutting right now.

Congrats on the new saw OD!

With your new found love of all things chainsaw and your excitement to cut everything you can, take a moment to think about safety.

Nothing will end your pleasure and your families happiness quicker than a chainsaw injury. That split second of chain on skin will linger in your and your families memory forever. You do have PPE don't you? Chaps, helmet, eye and hearing protection if you don't have them. Your wife and son will look at those things as a sign of how much you care about them. It sounds like you have been cutting for awhile but get some books and watch some videos of how others cut.

Again, congrats on the new saw. I was reading the story through and thought you would end up with a 361 :cheers: . Give it another 5 years or another big storm and I am sure you will have another write up about your addiction acquisition :greenchainsaw:

even with a new husky id bet you would stihl rather run the stihl. i have ran many differnt sawz and anything other then a stihl just feels like a piece of poop in my hands:)

Congrats Oops...!!!!!!

You made a great saw choice and boy what an upgrade to you tree cutting tools!!!!

I've been through 4 chainsaws and 2 years ago, stepped into a MS-361 with 20" bar and all I gotta say is.......once I pull the trigger? I'd better be hanging on!!! That baby will cut some serious wood!!!

My old Poulan Pro saw is still around for landscaping timbers or lite duty trimming around the place.

Congrats on the MS270. I really like mine so far, and it has cut a lot of wood over the past months. One thing I did that made a significant difference was to remove the screen on the muffler. Someone suggested it on here, and it works well. I also switched to the Stihl full chisel chain - it cuts much faster and stays sharp longer as well. Wait until you get her broke in after about 15 tanks, you will be very impressed then.

Thanks again all ... I would have purchased something at Home Depot without this site.

By removing the screen what will that gain me?

Was cutting a bunch tonight ... only thing bad about cutting tree's is trimming up the top to get to the tree. Once you get to the trunk, it's like eating crab legs .. gotta go through all the shell until you get to the good meat.

Had alot of fun... I think I may go purchase a small MS 180 for the light trimming.

I do have a question, I have the 16" bar on mine (it came with it). Should I go with the 18" or 20" .. tonight I had to cut from one side then the other to get through some of the trees.

The exhausts on the new saws tend to be very restrictive. Taking the screen out seems to aid the exhaust flow a bit. All things remaining the same it makes a noticeable difference in how the saw runs - makes it a bit stronger. Plus it takes all of 30 seconds. When I did I also richened the H jet about an 1/8th turn. Just something you may want to try and see if it works for you.

The exhausts on the new saws tend to be very restrictive. Taking the screen out seems to aid the exhaust flow a bit. All things remaining the same it makes a noticeable difference in how the saw runs - makes it a bit stronger. Plus it takes all of 30 seconds. When I did I also richened the H jet about an 1/8th turn. Just something you may want to try and see if it works for you.

this will void your warranty though, unless it can be replaced. I do all mods after the one year warranty is up

congrats and welcome to the American Stihl Society..... getit lmao

I figured as much so I will make mods after the one year .. shoot I am still so pleased with this saw that I don't think I will want to sup it up too quick ... once I need more I will sup it up and then go buy another ;)

LOL Yes, I got your joke .. took a second but then I did.

Thanks!!

even with a new husky id bet you would stihl rather run the stihl. i have ran many differnt sawz and anything other then a stihl just feels like a piece of poop in my hands:)

And how often do you hold poop in your hands?:confused:

Last edited:
Congrats on the new saw OD!

With your new found love of all things chainsaw and your excitement to cut everything you can, take a moment to think about safety.

Nothing will end your pleasure and your families happiness quicker than a chainsaw injury. That split second of chain on skin will linger in your and your families memory forever. You do have PPE don't you? Chaps, helmet, eye and hearing protection if you don't have them. Your wife and son will look at those things as a sign of how much you care about them. It sounds like you have been cutting for awhile but get some books and watch some videos of how others cut.

Again, congrats on the new saw. I was reading the story through and thought you would end up with a 361 :cheers: . Give it another 5 years or another big storm and I am sure you will have another write up about your addiction acquisition :greenchainsaw:

Chain on skin is one thing.A broken tree top on the head is an other. It is always dangerous cutting down timber that is laying on top of each other, Be carefull you don't get swing back:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back