I'm absolutely sick!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stay on the police until they do something. Cause if you don't, they'll never do anything bout it.

Now that is the truth. A buddies house was broken into and a bunch of stuff was stolen but oddly enough all they left was his Homelite SXL, but it was later stolen from the back of his truck. The only reason anything got done was because my buddy is a retired Roanoke City police officer and he rode the local PD until they finally got on the ball just to shut him up. Even at that they still did not do much because it turned out to be some local high school boys and the idiots starting bragging to their friends about doing it. The bragging was report to the principle who called the police.

Brad, I would call the cops and see if they would bring the two in for questioning, maybe a deal like return the saw, no charges will be filed. A smart cop will tell them it's on survelliance video, chances are they'll roll over. But be quick making the call the longer they have to get rid of it the harder it will be to get it back.
Don't depend on the cops to run the pawn shops for you, at least here they take they report and basically forget you exist. I'd be out bright and early with a flyer for each pawn shop owner, I'd prolly even offer them 50.00 dollars for info on the saw.

Interesting side story here. I play saxophone and had a 1964 Selmer Mark VI alto stolen from out church about 20 years ago. To put this in perspective, this sax is worth 4-6K today. I started calling pawn shops in Cincinnati asking if any had an alto sax for sale. I found what sounded like my horn. I didn't tell them I was looking for a stolen instrument. I then called the detectives and told them about it. Somehow, I had memorized the 6 digit SN. They went to the pawhshop and identified my saxophone. I got it back. Interestingly, Middletown cops don't check Cincinnati pawnshops and would have never found it. Tunrs out the burglars were identified with the ID they provided the pawn shop. Pretty cool stuff.

I went through getting 18 guns, a rolex, and misc stuff stolen 25 years ago. The local cops were doing nothing even though we had a good idea of who did it, if my dad hadn't been a state trooper and hadn't rode the hell out of the local guys nothing would have been done. I only got two or three guns back and a defaced rolex back, they threw the rest in the lake, or that was their story.
I really think if you could get the cops to haul their keesters in and offer to make a deal with them, you'll get the saw back, if they think there is a lot of heat on the saw they may just toss it in a ravine somewhere. Cops can lie and tell them they have them on camera, or have a witness, chances are they prolly already have a history with the law and one will prolly squeal on the other guy.

Exactly. I've seen how much most policemen want to help people. I can see in NYC or somewhere where theres rapes and murders every day; But towns like we live in, they could at least try to do a little more.
You'll have to do the work yourself for the most part. Just do everything you can do legally. If you have to, just kinda stake out the office or wherever the guys meet to work if you know where thats at, then maybe you will see them with your saw. Heck, the boos himself may be no better than they are.
Who told you to let the guys come after the wood in the first place? Maybe he/she knows their names.

Even cops in a lot of small towns don't have a lot of time to "hit the beat" looking for stolen items, especially a 16 year-old saw. I hate to say it, but when a lot of police departments hear the words "but it has a lot of sentimental value..." their eyes gloss over and that's pretty much the end of it right there. There are exceptions here and there though.

Brad- I think you have a fair chance of the getting the saw back. Keep at it- hit all the pawnshops, watch e-bay and Craigslist, stay in contact with the Sheriff. Don't let it drag you down too much- give it a real good effort and if the saw never turns up, well, your dad got 16 good years out of it, which is more than most guys get. The sentimental value of it is irreplaceable but you still have the memories of working with your old man and Stihl made a lot of 046s. Keep an eye out for a nice-looking replacement specimen and build it up real nice and give it to your pops if his ends up lost forever.

This reminds me of a cutter I worked with a few years ago. We were in a patch of big timber- a faller's dream: flat ground; big, long sticks; no brush; and a road on one side of the unit. My partner had bought a new 395XPW and had it modified by a local famous builder- one of the last saws this guy would end up building. Well, the partner got it hung up tight (36" bar buried to the hilt) in a big log inside the unit and it was Friday afternoon. His boy was pitching in a little league game later that afternoon and he wanted to get out of there. We were coming back to work the next morning and he figured the saw would be safe. Sometime that night someone came along, and cut his saw out, never to be seen again. $1200 gone in the blink of an eye.

I wished to God there were a way to register a stolen saw with Bryan Equipment. Lets say Brad's saw makes it over the border here to KY and land its self at a dealer over here. I think there should be a way to log on and check to see if a saw was stolen or not. And it should be done on every piece of equipment that rolls into a dealer for service.

The owner of the tree company I called said he'll set the guy up if he spots it. By that I don't mean taking the law into our own hands either. Nothing would be sweeter than holding someone until the cops came. The saw is registered in my Dad's name, so verification by serial number can be done.

If you haven't done so, make a 'stolen item' report to the local Sheriff's Office or PD. Need the make model and serial. It's a remote chance but if he fences it, it might be checked through the system.

Harry K

On second thought, I deleted the CL adds. I want the saw to be posted. That way I can maybe find it.

I just talked to the neighbor and it was still there at 8:10 this morning. It wasn't really visible from the road and he figured it was safe. I'm REALLY starting to suspect the guys that came and got some of the wood this morning. They work for some of the tree guys I know and he says he trusts them. I don't know them, so I don't trust them like that. These guys were here at 11 this morning loading wood. That's a pretty short window of time. No one else would have been back here. If you could see where the saw was setting, it really wasn't visible from the road. It's a drive shared by four houses and runs parallel to the road. All the limbs were piled blocking the view of the saw from the road. Dad's here now and we're going to call and make a police report.

I sent him a text this evening telling him about them giving me the wrong name. I also mentioned that the lady says they were the only ones that had been there. He's also aware the saw could not be seen from the road. I'm not looking to make an enemy, but I do want to press him to do the right thing. Maybe he can squeeze his boys a little the saw will pop out, lol.

Just keep going, hopefully it will turn out to our advantage at some point! :msp_smile:

I would want to shoot him at least 18 times with a Glock 17.......

Last edited:
There's got to be a way to get those guys to return it. (If they took it at all). Call the owner of the company to buy him breakfast. Explain to him about the saw being out of site and all. Tell him that if the saw shows up on your porch there will be no questions asked and the police will go away and you'll give him free repairs on his stuff for a year.

Obviously, I do not condone theft. In today's economic times, people may be inclined to bend their morals a little (or a lot...) to make ends meet. I have seen very few meth-heads out cleaning up wood to make money. Those guys were at least doing something instead of waiting for a free ride on the system. The fact that they obviously knew the saw belonged to you makes them opportunistic thieves instead of just innocent folks who stumbled upon a lone 046 sitting along the road. If a guy needed a few hundred bucks to make rent and keep from getting evicted, you can see where the temptation would be once you drove off. Sadly, they were probably not thinking about rent when they took the saw.
The thieves were certainly not playing nice when they took the 046, so you should return an eye for an eye. I would tell the owner of the tree service that the property owners saw the guys with your 046. Also tell him that the police will be checking every serial number in his fleet as well as the status of their employment with you. your saw was taken in a dishonest act. How about trying one to get it back?

Brad,
I think the key to this situation is the "tree guy". He needs to have enough heat put on him to pressure his employees to cough up the 046. Why would he want employees with "sticky fingers" working for him, the next stuff missing will be his. I know about those Mark VI Selmers, I have a 1970 Alto that my mom bought me new, still play it alot.

Steve

Sorry for your loss, hopefully diligence and follow up on your part will result in its return.

As this seems to be a problem a number of people have encountered, I wonder if there is a market for a "Lojack" type product for saws? I know they offer it for motorcycles, seems to me with the way technology has developed they could do the same thing with saws.

I'm hoping beyond hope that it could be in my neighbor's garage. They're not home. Surely they would have told us by now. But then again, they may not know what it's worth and what a big deal it is.
What a total disgrace. I feel bad for you. Hope it shows up in perfect shape. Cheers.

My partner had bought a new 395XPW and had it modified by a local famous builder- one of the last saws this guy would end up building. Well, the partner got it hung up tight (36" bar buried to the hilt) in a big log inside the unit and it was Friday afternoon. His boy was pitching in a little league game later that afternoon and he wanted to get out of there. We were coming back to work the next morning and he figured the saw would be safe. Sometime that night someone came along, and cut his saw out, never to be seen again. $1200 gone in the blink of an eye.

I apologize for the hijack, but I can't imagine anyone leaving a saw that nice anywhere unsecured :msp_scared:.

Brad, I think putting pressure on the guy who employs the two guys will eventually payoff.

I apologize for the hijack, but I can't imagine anyone leaving a saw that nice anywhere unsecured :msp_scared:.

Brad, I think putting pressure on the guy who employs the two guys will eventually payoff.

No kidding, why didn't he take the powerhead off the bar, and leave only the bar and chain there? I would do that with any of my saws.

No kidding, why didn't he take the powerhead off the bar, and leave only the bar and chain there? I would do that with any of my saws.

Ive left some valuables in the woods before. I figured who the heck would be coming through the middle of no where at night. Mine was still there when I got back though.

A 395 has an outboard clutch. If its hung up tight and close, its a job to get the powerhead off,,, sometimes impossible.

Sorry about your stroke of bad luck, but sometimes the system works. My neighbor had some idiot break into his shed and rip his saw off, he made a police report and figured his saw was gone.
For six months nothing then the county sheriff calls and tells him they have his saw. He actually got it back. I hope the same happens for you.
Man I hate thieves!

My heart started beating a little faster because I though for a minute it was the one I just bought yesterday. Different model however. I was a little suspicious because I bought it so cheap.
attachment.php

The owner of the tree company I called said he'll set the guy up if he spots it. By that I don't mean taking the law into our own hands either. Nothing would be sweeter than holding someone until the cops came. The saw is registered in my Dad's name, so verification by serial number can be done.

If the guy that picked it up was local you might have a chance of getting it back. If it had been a Poulan Wild Thing or something like that he probably wouldn't have risked taking it but since it was a Stihl it seems everybody knows how much they're worth. You might check all the local pawn shops also, if you have any within 30 or 40 miles.

Latest posts

Back