I'm blaming all of you for my 460!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olyeller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just a few months ago I was a reasonably happy guy, albeit one with no firewood for the hunting camp and a dead Mac Eager Beaver. I guess you could call that happy? Then I got a Stihl MS390 and I began happily cutting wood. Then the AS voices told me to get a "pro" saw and I found an MS260 that was like new. Then I started listening to the AS online voices again and I sold the 390 to get a big pro saw before the impending doom of 2010. And now I have a new MS460 to go with the 260, based on the advice I got here. Now I have a lot of firewood with lots more to come, and a pair of great saws.

The bummer is, our family is leaving for vacation tomorrow, and I haven't even put the 460 in wood yet--everything I have here at home is all cut up! Maybe I should go make some mini-cookies? Yeah, I believe I'll do just that so I can hear the 460 sing.

Seriously, thanks to you all for sharing the CAD with me. I'm now thoroughly infected. And very happy.

Just a few months ago I was a reasonably happy guy, now I have a new MS460 to go with the 260, based on the advice I got here. Now I have a lot of firewood with lots more to come, and a pair of great saws. And very happy.
HAHAHAHAHAHA ,see what the internet does to the mind ......

:cheers:

Now it's dirty

I was just out in the yard with the 460 making some fireplace wood half as big as it used to be. Wow, this thing really slices through the wood! I can hardly wait to really give it a workout in some genuinely large chunks of old oak.

I'm blaming all of you...

It's not my fault I told ya to get a 7900:greenchainsaw:

Thought bout it some more ...couldn't be my fault cause I don't own one ... a CS330 ,340 ,034 ,ms280 ,2171 ,066 ,394 and couple of 361's and some other dead saws don't and couldn't have any influence on you choice because they're not 460's .

:cheers::cheers:

Truly, CAD never sleeps. I just took delivery of the MS460 and now I'm already wondering what my next saw should be. This is really some sickness! I was thinking about a smaller saw, but then the MS260 is handy enough for the limbing I'm doing. A 211, for example, is only a pound lighter than the 260. The 260 has an 18-inch bar on it now with RSC; maybe I'll go 16 inches, but would two inches less bar really make much difference? An MS361 seems unnecessary when flanked by the two I have. I looked at a Dolmar 7900 too, but it's too close to the 460. Maybe a 660? Or an older big-bore Stihl? I'm not sure I want to fuss around with working on an old saw and mess with looking for parts that are out of stock; I've already played that game with old two-stroke motorcycles and it's too frustrating.

Anybody care to shove the needle deeper into my arm? :dunno:

Pull the needle out. Unless you get payed to run a saw, you are really sitting well with the 260 and 460. Go take a cold shower and enjoy what you have, cause it doesn't get any better, it just changes and empties the wallet.

Btw, the 18" on the 260 and 25" on the 460 would be my recomendations.

Last edited:
Pull the needle out. Unless you get payed to run a saw, you are really sitting well with the 260 and 460. Go take a cold shower and enjoy what you have, cause it doesn't get any better, it just changes and empties the wallet.

Btw, the 18" on the 260 and 25" on the 460 would be my recomendations.

Who let you in here? :clap: I've hardly ever seen a voice of reason on AS! I didn't think that was allowed! Yeah, what you say is exactly what I was thinking while I was trying to beat off the CAD demons; that's why I took the advice offered on this site and nailed down these two pro saws before the 2010 EPA restrictions hit. Given the recreational nature of my woodcutting, I figure this pair will live longer than I will. Then my son and son-in-law can wrassel over who gets them.

And No, I don't cut professionally, it's just for fun and firewood at the hunting camp. I've got the 18" 260, a 25" bar on the 460 and I'm getting a 20" for the 460 also for easier handling when I'm not cutting the real big oak. I didn't really NEED the 460, but when the government starts threatening to take away our choices, I know I have to act; I've seen how this movie played with respect to guns in California--we're still shafted with pansy regulations.

I know with my head that I should just go cut wood and enjoy my two saws, but I also enjoy the thrill of the chainsaw hunt on CL...

Who let you in here? :clap: I've hardly ever seen a voice of reason on AS! I didn't think that was allowed! Yeah, what you say is exactly what I was thinking while I was trying to beat off the CAD demons; that's why I took the advice offered on this site and nailed down these two pro saws before the 2010 EPA restrictions hit. Given the recreational nature of my woodcutting, I figure this pair will live longer than I will. Then my son and son-in-law can wrassel over who gets them.

And No, I don't cut professionally, it's just for fun and firewood at the hunting camp. I've got the 18" 260, a 25" bar on the 460 and I'm getting a 20" for the 460 also for easier handling when I'm not cutting the real big oak. I didn't really NEED the 460, but when the government starts threatening to take away our choices, I know I have to act; I've seen how this movie played with respect to guns in California--we're still shafted with pansy regulations.

I know with my head that I should just go cut wood and enjoy my two saws, but I also enjoy the thrill of the chainsaw hunt on CL...

I learned what I like the hard way. I currently have 12 pro saws Stihl/Husky which wasn't cheap but I get payed to use them so that's the difference. Your setup is the perfect 2 saw plan, but I wouldn't get the 20" bar myself, I'd stick with the 25" for reach. You can stay back in the safe zone a bit more when cutting in sticky situations. Also you can reach more from one position and bore cut deeper.

You're mileage may vary, put your time in.

I learned what I like the hard way. I currently have 12 pro saws Stihl/Husky which wasn't cheap but I get payed to use them so that's the difference. Your setup is the perfect 2 saw plan, but I wouldn't get the 20" bar myself, I'd stick with the 25" for reach. You can stay back in the safe zone a bit more when cutting in sticky situations. Also you can reach more from one position and bore cut deeper.

You're mileage may vary, put your time in.

Duly noted. Thank you much for the sage advice born of experience. I'm not going to fell trees, just buck shed limbs from old California oaks. These limbs can can get pretty big, 25-30 inches in diameter or more. And it's very hard stuff, hardly dent it with a hammer. But a lot of it is smaller stuff, maybe 20-25 inches is more often the max, which is why I was thinking about a lighter 20" setup even if I have to double cut a bit.

Speak for yourself but my 660 only weighs a couple lbs more than a 460. With a lightweight bar more like 1lb... And will stomp a 460... I like the 372 much better than the 460. but when it comes to the 90cc class its the 660 all the way. I agree with the modded part though, if you want a modded saw the 460 rips. I think the 460 modded beats the 372 modded any day. The 372 just feels a lot better to me.

Duly noted. Thank you much for the sage advice born of experience. I'm not going to fell trees, just buck shed limbs from old California oaks. These limbs can can get pretty big, 25-30 inches in diameter or more. And it's very hard stuff, hardly dent it with a hammer. But a lot of it is smaller stuff, maybe 20-25 inches is more often the max, which is why I was thinking about a lighter 20" setup even if I have to double cut a bit.

Even if the wood is 8", I like the 25" bar. It's not about weight it's about reach regardless of wood size, speed in the cut is negligible between the two.

The only time I like the shorter bar is if I was felling 12" and smaller tree's all day. For felling bigger tree's, bucking, limbing, and firewood cutting, I'll take the 25". Have fun man.

Back