I'm Getting Brave...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yasha

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Jackpot? I'm Getting Brave...

BECAUSE OF YOUR GUYS' WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE HERE, I'm willing to try to start rebuilding and repairing some used older stuff - I'm getting braver.

IN OTHER WORDS, I'm going to be needing your help.

This is some of the stuff I bought from a tree service that went out of business:

I hope it's the Jackpot!!

1. 3120 xp - nice running with a 36" bar and a 72" bar with chains. The 72" has never been used. Not sure about the rev limiter on the saw, yet. It's a 2000 model.

2. 346xp. Runs great. Looks like it has been dropped a couple of times.

3. Stihl 12' pole saw ht 101.

4. Echo PPT 260. Both shafts have a dent in them.

5. Husky 338 xpt. dropped several times. cover cracked all over. parts saw.

6. Sthil Ms 170

7. 260 pro..... Poulan! hehe.

8. Echo edger. bogs down a little. have to rev it.

9. Echo hand-held blower. Runs great!

10. I mean Tons of Samson bull, rigging rope. False crotches, anchors, pulleys, come alongs.

11. Rope bags, gas cans, helmets for several crews, chaps, rolls of new chain, 2 7 gallon buckets of used chain. Spare parts, big water dispensers, throw lines, tools.

(I think that's about it.)

All for less than it costs to buy a new 660. Almost all of it is useable and in good shape.

I think we did alright? :clap:

Last edited:
TTIWWP...Yeah, you're right.

Thanks. Agreed.
:(

Pictures to follow. (how's that?)

This just was an informative thread anyway, just to let you guys know what's coming.

First thing is to put new gas and clean, so...

Can anyone tell me what the gas oil mix ratio for a 2000 model 3120 is?

32 - 1 or had it already switched to 50-1 by then?

What about the other equipment? Is it all 50-1?

Last edited:

I think that's more dependent on the oil than on the equipment. Lots of oil topics here, and it seems there's some consensus for the following:
16:1 and 20:1 were for old non detergent 30W (but buy real 2-stroke instead)

32-40:1 should be safe for JASO-FC oil,

50:1 for FD oil isn't a bad rule of thumb, but some people buy the synthetic FD rated stuff and run it 32:1, doesn't hurt anything.

I'd get the good Husky oil and mix it the way Husky says on the bottle. (or Stihl Ultra, mixed the same way)

I bought some Amsoil Interceptor and mixed it 50:1 for my new Dolmar and my old Husky, but I'm wondering about adding a little oil to the mix after noticing that it's only FC rated. Should have had the Amsoil dealer order me some Saber Professional, but he had the Interceptor stuff on the shelf.

Last edited:
Thank you.

I think that's more dependent on the oil than on the equipment. Lots of oil topics here, and it seems there's some consensus for the following:
16:1 and 20:1 were for old non detergent 30W (but buy real 2-stroke instead)

32-40:1 should be safe for JASO-FC oil,

50:1 for FD oil isn't a bad rule of thumb, but some people buy the synthetic FD rated stuff and run it 32:1, doesn't hurt anything.

I'd get the good Husky oil and mix it the way Husky says on the bottle. (or Stihl Ultra, mixed the same way)

I bought some Amsoil Interceptor and mixed it 50:1 for my new Dolmar and my old Husky, but I'm wondering about adding a little oil to the mix after noticing that it's only FC rated. Should have had the Amsoil dealer order me some Saber Professional, but he had the Interceptor stuff on the shelf.

+1. Thank You. :)

Thanks. Agreed.
:(

Pictures to follow. (how's that?)

This just was an informative thread anyway, just to let you guys know what's coming.
First thing is to put new gas and clean, so...

32 - 1 or had it already switched to 50-1 by then?

What about the other equipment? Is it all 50-1?

I dunno...My Mac 610 and Craftsman 40cc calls for 40-1, the Ryobi string trimmer calls for 32-1, and my other saws call for 50-1, so....I have been using Echo Powerblend. They claim that at 50-1 its safe for any 2-stroke calling for 32-1 to 50-1. The paranoid part of me makes me mix it 40-1, and it doesn't smoke. I don't have oil running out of the mufflers, and not much carbon either, so it seems to be good. $23/GALLON at the local Echo dealer!

Great score, BTW!

Yasha, if you don't have a need for some of that stuff, let us know. There's isn't much in terms of rigging gear I need, but I'm always interested....

I already have 2 3120's...a 5 and 6 foot bar...prolly want to sell the 6 footer...doubt if will ever be needed.

Wouldn't mind another 346 if it was in good shape and a bargain...

338? Mine walked off last fall.....if the innards would fit in a 335 case, I might be interested.....not sure....only difference I'm aware of is the boot design and intake location. might be the same case.

If there's any Trueblue rope at least 150 feet long.....(solid blue, 12 strand, has a soft hand) or shot pouches that you don't need.......

Echo PPT...hmmmm, I have the predecessor Power Pruner...wonder if the cutting head and pwr head fit the shaft? They might...Echo bought out PP...

Last edited:
Should have had the Amsoil dealer order me some Saber Professional...

I should not have said that in the same message with a recommendation to mix according to the oil maker's labeling. That Saber Pro oil is labeled 100:1.
I've seen some anecdotal evidence that 100:1 is enough oil in the crank bearings but not enough of the oil makes it into the cylinder. On a more scientific level, somebody did a series of oil tests on air cooled model aircraft engines, and IIRC he got light piston scuffing at 80:1 and worse at 100:1.

I think that for about $9 a quart the Amsoil Saber Pro 100:1 synthetic would make a great 50:1 chainsaw oil. Can anybody tell me if this oil has dye in it? I knew the Amsoil Interceptor was intended mainly for injection systems, but I didn't know it was not tinted until after I bought it. I know which can has the mix in it, but if somebody borrows a gallon of gas without asking and refills the can for me the results won't be pretty when I fill my saws with it. I'm actually thinking of dumping in a half ounce of ATF for the dye, but I don't know if 250:1 ATF would give enough tint to really notice.

I was going to buy the Mobil One 2T at Autozone, but the only Mobil One motorcycle oil my local Autozone carries is 4T.

I would not give up on the 338XPT if the moter is good. If you can find the parts and get it running I think you will like it. Tom

Thank you.

I dunno...My Mac 610 and Craftsman 40cc calls for 40-1, the Ryobi string trimmer calls for 32-1, and my other saws call for 50-1, so....I have been using Echo Powerblend. They claim that at 50-1 its safe for any 2-stroke calling for 32-1 to 50-1. The paranoid part of me makes me mix it 40-1, and it doesn't smoke. I don't have oil running out of the mufflers, and not much carbon either, so it seems to be good. $23/GALLON at the local Echo dealer!

Great score, BTW!

That's me - a little wanting to be on the safe side when it comes to maintenance. Money doesn't grow on trees ya' know. hehe. Maybe if you're in the tree business.lol.:chainsaw:

Great Site!! cool pics - +1

Yasha, if you don't have a need for some of that stuff, let us know. There's isn't much in terms of rigging gear I need, but I'm always interested....

I already have 2 3120's...a 5 and 6 foot bar...prolly want to sell the 6 footer...doubt if will ever be needed.

Wouldn't mind another 346 if it was in good shape and a bargain...

338? Mine walked off last fall.....if the innards would fit in a 335 case, I might be interested.....not sure....only difference I'm aware of is the boot design and intake location. might be the same case.

If there's any Trueblue rope at least 150 feet long.....(solid blue, 12 strand, has a soft hand) or shot pouches that you don't need.......

Echo PPT...hmmmm, I have the predecessor Power Pruner...wonder if the cutting head and pwr head fit the shaft? They might...Echo bought out PP...

346 I've been wanting for awhile. The next question I'll ask is what are the best options for mods. I here Bookerdog's 346 made quite the splash at the GTG.

The 338 I think is in good shape, just needs a case. I'm not sure if it fits in a 335. But I have a 338xpt that I really like, maybe we can work out some sort of trade for a PPT shaft?

The true blue rope I'm not sure about. I'll have to check in some of the rope bags.

PM me if you want to work out a deal and I'll be thinking about it.

Thanks again, RBTree.

Mobile 2T?

I should not have said that in the same message with a recommendation to mix according to the oil maker's labeling. That Saber Pro oil is labeled 100:1.
I've seen some anecdotal evidence that 100:1 is enough oil in the crank bearings but not enough of the oil makes it into the cylinder. On a more scientific level, somebody did a series of oil tests on air cooled model aircraft engines, and IIRC he got light piston scuffing at 80:1 and worse at 100:1.

I think that for about $9 a quart the Amsoil Saber Pro 100:1 synthetic would make a great 50:1 chainsaw oil. Can anybody tell me if this oil has dye in it? I knew the Amsoil Interceptor was intended mainly for injection systems, but I didn't know it was not tinted until after I bought it. I know which can has the mix in it, but if somebody borrows a gallon of gas without asking and refills the can for me the results won't be pretty when I fill my saws with it. I'm actually thinking of dumping in a half ounce of ATF for the dye, but I don't know if 250:1 ATF would give enough tint to really notice.

I was going to buy the Mobil One 2T at Autozone, but the only Mobil One motorcycle oil my local Autozone carries is 4T.

I'd like to know where I can get some 2T, bulk if possible.

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone know the answer?

Couldn't resist. :monkey:

mismanagement.

Why did they go out of business???????????

I wrote it at the beginning, but edited it out because the post was SOOO long.

Basically, the Dad was a real go-getter. He lets the son manage the business for three years. Dad is preparing son. Dad sells the business to son for a FRACTION of its worth. Dad is meticulous about returning calls and maintenance of equipment. Son isn't. Dad tries to motivate son. Son tells Dad that this is 'his' rodeo, and he'll do just fine. The business was reported to be making over [censored - enormous amounts] the last year the Father owned it.

11 months later the business is repossessed from the lending institution.

Highest bidder buys equipment and begins piecing it out.

It's a shame. Things got tight around here, but I heard this story from the guy that repossessed the equipment and was the highest bidder too. He said the son just wouldn't work. He gave several instances that the son just wouldn't return calls. He never made ONE monthly installment on his loan.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Yes Sir!

I would not give up on the 338XPT if the moter is good. If you can find the parts and get it running I think you will like it. Tom

+1 Agreed. I have a 338xpt California Edition (45cc, 2.7 hp Tree Saw!) that I really like. It's Mr. Dependability.

I wrote it at the beginning, but edited it out because the post was SOOO long.

Basically, the Dad was a real go-getter. He lets the son manage the business for three years. Dad is preparing son. Dad sells the business to son for a FRACTION of its worth. Dad is meticulous about returning calls and maintenance of equipment. Son isn't. Dad tries to motivate son. Son tells Dad that this is 'his' rodeo, and he'll do just fine. The business was reported to be making over [censored - enormous amounts] the last year the Father owned it.

11 months later the business is repossessed from the lending institution.

Highest bidder buys equipment and begins piecing it out.

It's a shame. Things got tight around here, but I heard this story from the guy that repossessed the equipment and was the highest bidder too. He said the son just wouldn't work. He gave several instances that the son just wouldn't return calls. He never made ONE monthly installment on his loan.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

That is sad, but all too common. Responsibility and discipline do not come automatically. Too bad the dad's business had to go like that. Someday the son will regret what he did to dishonor his father. But, it could be any one of us, too. Some of us take a LONG time to grow up....................:monkey:

Back