I'm gonna move logs with it, does that count as equipment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
If CAD is bad, then it can manifest itself in to obtaining equipment...
I bought a skidsteer.

It starts, it runs. I am going to be on a learning curve on how to drive this thing. I will figure it out.
CASE 1845c

A few oddities. lights don't work, There is one leaky seal on a cylinder, One mis-matched wheel. Bucket could use some welding on it, came with a set of forks that will work (for now) for moving logs around (grapple eventually).

IMG_0461.jpg
Top of Poncha Pass, airing up the tires on the trailer...

I have a 30 year old new Holland 445 skid loader that’s my favorite thing for moving logs and rounds. Get a grapple or at least a manure/hay forks and you can make quick work of bucking and feeding your log splitter. Outside of a mini x with a thumb skid loaders are about the best firewood equipment you can have. Just a heads up they will shake the fillings out your teeth so take it easy until you get the controls down.

Does it have a remote hydraulic line for a grapple? If so, you can faster and cheaper add a set of grapple teeth/arm to the forks. I have a root rake/grapple for my RC 30, and forks, among other attachments, and for picking up logs its great, but I also feel like the forks could do just as well (weighing way less) with a sabre tooth type grapple, like you see unloading large bundles at a log yard? I don't know how you CSS, but I can carry a 8-12' or more log(s) depending on girth and water content, and can buck rounds off the side (at waist high) but I always wind up with that 4'+ piece in the grapple . No big deal, except the rounds are on the ground? With forks and a two "tooth" grapple, you could cut what you want out of the center without metal hits.....

I solved all that for me. I use plastic 8- 55 g drums, four 5/4 boards, and two sheets of plywood to make a 16' long table under my 10x20 carport/tent as a cutting table. I load two log length 12' onto the table with the machine, and cut my rounds without bending over. the rounds roll right off the end of the table to the splitter beam, off the splitter less than 6' to the shed. I can screw the 5/4 boards into the thick rim on the barrels, and the plywood to the boards and its very secure and steady. I'm in the shade, I haven't had to bend over once, nor pick up a round ever, and I don't have a dirt encrusted log. The table doesn't really even get sawn.

I'm purely a hobbyist- I live on the beach in Florida, but I have tons of acreage in the Hammock, and I enjoy getting off the beach and into (different) nature. I don't have to be picky about bonfire wood, but, I do have a bit of OCD, so I keep 2 cords of split Oak, Hickory and Gum, the very rare Cherry, Further, I get plenty of blowdowns, and don't mess around with crotches or wyes, or stems over 32", or less than 8-10".

I will send a pic of how I do it out here, I have used a CAT out here a few times. I lay the logs out on a deck, and then can stroll along and make blocks. That works fairly well, then the truck and splitter can go thru fairly easily.
This is a small commercial operation, and the skid being HERE will help me immensely

well, I played with it some today. I will have to get used to the controls. no big deal there.
IMG_0463.jpgIMG_0464.jpg
I found this "repair" in the bottom of the machine this morning. That explains the puddle of oil, and constant stream dribbling from the machine. Return hose, so not under a huge amount of pressure. but a sizable hose, lots of flow there.
The leaky lift cylinder is nothing in comparison to this.

The general method is to lay the logs out on two or three cross logs, and cut them from that. I did get a few more moved this afternoon. Discovered that the fork assembly comes off (excessive play) easily. No doubt has been worked hard...
I also discovered that with about 3 large logs on the forks that a "wheelie" is quite easily accomplished.
So that is why there is a cage around the operator? THey know you are going to flip it around.... HA!

That's just plain ugly. Hopefully its was just a bush fix and not a work around to a broken fitting, and you can get OEM or better for a permanent repair.

No remote hydraulics eh? Grapple is out then? Perhaps a set of log tongs can be used, or two, on each end of a piece of chain and draped over the forks.

However you do it, build a table and set logs on it, and stop bending over or chasing rounds with a bucket, roll them off the table onto the splitter beam.....

There is the factory remote connections on left arm, a grapple would be nice. Eventually.
This hose is connected to "something else" that was added. they cut part of the floor out to fit it in.
Ugly connection.... no doubt. loses about 2 gallons an hour.

GeeVee, we have moved thousands of cords of wood outta here in 10 years. Decking them out works well. bending over isn't a problem, 28" bar. the splitter is self propelled, and we assume that the truck is able to move too. The only real logical "upgrade" would be a processor of some sort. However... that will have to wait awhile, if I ever really do it.

being able to deck them out again is very nice... rolling them off the pile and working them up there is a bit more hazardous. I have had to jump a few times to avoid a stray log that comes down expectantly.

Latest posts

Back