I'm in the wrong state

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I called up a business in Lexington Kentucky that services a bunch of the professional tree service people in the area and asked if they stocked skip tooth chain. Their response was, "I never heard of that kind of chain." It's a shame that I can learn more about what is available in 15 minutes on the Stihl site than the guys making a living in the chainsaw business do. :confused:

Ian

can't blame the dealers I guess. I live in an area where there is practically no professional wood business or tree care companies for that matter (no big woods). Most dealers therefor are only stocking the non pro saws for the homeowners and the farmers. I had to come to this site a few years ago to find out that Husky also carried a pro saw range, go figure.

It becomes really sad if you start talking to them about the different chain types :bang: Most of them know only the semi skip all round chains, which suit the saws they are selling. I have found a (Husky)dealer some 30km from my place who really knows his stuff and offers me the parts and chains I need. I figure if you do a search in your area, you'll probably found the guy you need. good luck.
regards
roland

Last edited:
Haywire, Blow off the incompetent boobs and just deal with Bailey's, They'll be cheaper, perhaps faster than the local doofi , and they actually know which way is up.

What is the general opinion of the Woodsman Pro chain they are selling? It's half the price of stihl chain.

Ian

Woodsman Pro is great stuff-mostly Carlton chain-I run it all the time. They also sell Oregon at better prices than anyone else. Stihl is arguably the best chain on earth-Stihl certainly thinks so-they charge out the wazoo for it. I think Stihl is slightly better-but run Carlton 'cause I have a spool of it and Oregon 'cause I have it too. Differences are small. Stihl and Oregon have a slightlt sharper outside corner on the full chisel tooth compared to Carlton.

Ok, I'm going to have to change this thread's title to "rookie questions".

I'm looking to buy a 24" bar for my 361. Will the casual user see any real difference between the 4 different bars that come up when I punch my model # in? The options are:

Duratip hardnose,
Speed Tip,
Power Match,
ArborPro Logger

The things I can discern from the descriptions are that the Hardnose doesn't have a sprocket, and the Speed Tip is a slim design which seems to me would make it more likely to bend if it gets treated roughly.

I should really stay away from logging equipment suppliers. Too many options for the inexperienced too mull over.

thanks,
Ian

Last edited:
Yeah, avoid the dura tip, or any hardnose bar unless you're in dirty wood or cutting conditions. Even then, I just prefer to use an old sprocket tipped bar. Hardnose bars run hotter and can wear your chain faster. You don't need to overthink bars. Get what you want, making sure it fits of course. Alot of professionals go with Oregon, and on the opposite end of the spectrum, Cannon or something like that. I think the Stihl bars fall nicely in the middle, and are what I use.

Jeff

Any logging supply outfit will have skip chain, and stay with pro-stores, figure out what you should get by asking here first, if you go to say, Homo-Depot you may well be talking to people who have no idea about saws. I use Power Match and Speed Tip bars, they ain't Cannon but they are ok, certainly for a weekend warrior. I would run skip on a 361 with a 24" bar, quicker to sharpen, for starters.

Thanks for answering all the bonehead questions.

I think when I get one season on the 361 (it's less than a week old) and make sure I didn't get a lemon that'll need warranty work, I'll have my muffler modded or maybe that mild "work saw" mod that I've been reading about done.

Ian

The bulk of the gains come from the muffler mod. You can buy a modded muffler from Walker's saw shop or do it yourself. As others said-th ebiggest difference in bars is hardnose or sprocket tip. Amongst the sprocket tips there are differences but performance is all similar. Avoid hardnoses for normal use.

It took me awhile to get the muffler modded on my 361. trust me bro... you won't regret it!!!

Also Bailey's 30RCS chain is what I run. I can get a loop of chain shipped from Bailey's cheaper than I can buy one from alomst anywhere over the counter.

Gary

Hey I live in Lexington.

Did you call Fullers Saw shop (Jonsered Dealer) or Lexington Outdoor Power Equipment (Husky and Echo Dealer). I have had experiences with both. I don't go to either anymore. Central Equipment is the Stihl Dealer.

If you want a knowledgeble guy let me know. I know an Amish Dolmar/Jonsered Dealer down by Munfordville who is pretty good.

I'm down in Richmond, I called Central. I went to Stihl's site and did a dealer search and wadda ya know, there is one "elite" dealer in Lexington (Wilson Bros) and one in Richmond (Ace) and Ace happens to be the one that got my saw from. He knew what skip chain was, but didn't stock it.

Ian

heck what about my deals on Carlton chain & GB bars? i have most of the prices posted in my forum. if you want details on specific saw fit feel free to call, email or PM me. the GB CN-40 Titanium bars are hard to beat. if its for a chainsaw i probly sell it or can get it!

My 44 bar just **** itself yesterday.

I always have a spare so I'm not caught out. The end of the bar where the sprocket is flared open and the sprocket itself was broken.

I use Oregon Power Match Plus for that saw and Stihl Rollomatic ES on 46 and 66. That has served me well. I only use Stihl chain too.

I think the worst chain I ever used is that Windsor chain. I had a rep ring me from some new arb shop trying to flog me that junk, he was focused on how cheap it was but there's more to products than price isn't there.

Latest posts

Back