I'm looking for a new log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A $1500-2000 investment is not much of a splitter investment for a business that is doing so good. That won't get you past the capabilities of what you have now, really.

What do you have for a tractor? It doesn't take a real big one to lift a big round with the FEL. Unless these are really monster rounds you are talking about - which makes the 1500-2000 budget look even more questionable.

I do't have one. I have two trailers so I put the splitter between the trailers and split from one and toss onto the other. But. I keep thinking about the lift for when I dump loads. I split most of my wood on the paved court in front of the house so I have a nice smooth, stable splitting surface to work from. The motor cycle lift would be nice because I could roll it off the court, I can't set up anything permanent there, Joe.

I'm on grass and dirt, so rolling around a lift might create more work for me. Good idea for you, since you can roll it around.

A $1500-2000 investment is not much of a splitter investment for a business that is doing so good. That won't get you past the capabilities of what you have now, really.

What do you have for a tractor? It doesn't take a real big one to lift a big round with the FEL. Unless these are really monster rounds you are talking about - which makes the 1500-2000 budget look even more questionable.

Kobota B5200 with 3 point hitch only. No front loader.

Increasing the budget has crossed my mind and can be done.

My BIL has an 18HP BX with FEL and it works great for staging firewood. I'm thinking about betting one for my lawns and selling my 52" zero turn. The new "Bota with 54" mower, FEL, and 9 bushel grass catcher is $16000. More than I wanted to spend, but 2 of my lawns are almost 2 acres and the BX would work better on them. But, that means I'll have to keep mowing for 5 years till it's paid for, Joe.

I, personally, have found that this can become very expensive. Ive been through several iterations of my process, all thinking that what I'm doing is going to make things easier.... What Ive found is that I don't have pockets willing to expand to the size necessary to fall in line with my desires. So I bit the bullet on a quality, fast splitter and then built a staging/cutting table.

Keep in mind I ended up buying a new tractor with a FEL. I needed a new tractor anyway, but if I wasn't wanting to have the loader, I could have gone way smaller and less expensive.

Thats a good reason I want to hear everyone's opinion now before I spend any money.
I do need a heaver duty splitter, the 22 ton struggles on some wood and flat out cant make it through live oak.
I value the opinions from folks that have been doing it for a long time.

Try this splitter

https://www.ruggedmade.com/log-spli...-lift-48-563-322-rt06pc-13-225-150-ll-ct.html

I almost purchased their 37 ton splitter. They seem to get good reviews on Youtube. The 22 ton on the link provided is their lowest price splitter with a lift and it's under $1500. I have seen them at times advertised with free shipping.

WCA

I have not used a push through type before.
I wish there was a way to try them out first. I might prefer a push through, but I'd have to split a few cords first.

One of the benefits of a "push through" is the ability to throw on a 4 way. Friend of mine has a Timberwolf with a slip on 4 way that I used a bit and it makes splitting MUCH faster. Yes, you have to reach and grab the pieces that need to be re-split, but @Sandhill Crane would be happy to tell you about the benefits of a pulp hook. I dont use one because I don't let the splits get far enough away from me that I cant reach and grab, but I do recognize the benefit of not reaching to grab things in regards to saving ones back and energy.

When you compare ads between 25-28-30-32 tons, etc, be aware most of the numbers are part BS. Force is cylinder area x pressure, and many of the advertised numbers are at higher pressure than the units operate or are set at. For example, some ‘rate’ the tons number at 3500 psi even though the relief is set at 2500 and cannot achieve 3500, nor are the hoses and structural rated at 3500 psi.

Basically, compare cylinder bore (inside diameter) as most systems can safely be adjusted to handle about 3000 psi max.

I added a log lift to a small 4 inch consumer splitter. Has stabilizer legs so it doesn’t tip to that side. Power beyond valve, small cylilnder, QC, hoses and steel were about $500. My labor and welding.

I have not used a push through type before.
I wish there was a way to try them out first. I might prefer a push through, but I'd have to split a few cords first.

The 37 ton unit looks more like what you're after......but more than $2K. With the catcher tray it should work well.

I'd assume the splitter is the centerpiece of your operation. As such I'd make a good investment in it.

Here ya go sb.... But you're gonna pay for it!

Here ya go sb.... But you're gonna pay for it!

I am sorry, but that is a very poorly designed and built machine. It also appears that it requires three or four men to wrestle with a 25" round of wood. The wood ended on the ground more than once. Watch the splitter wiggle and shimmy as two/three men wrestle with the log half to get it into position. I honestly was expecting for the whole machine to just fall into pieces. That medium sized round should have been easily split by one man and loaded into a wheel barrow transport to his stacking area.
To the person who says use the lift as a staging area and to catch one half of the split round. That is find and dandy if the lift if is built with a upward wing that extends 24 inches beyond the splitting wedge on a pass thru designed splitter.
The video of this splitter demonstrates four men doing the work of one.

I am sorry, but that is a very poorly designed and built machine. It also appears that it requires three or four men to wrestle with a 25" round of wood. The wood ended on the ground more than once. Watch the splitter wiggle and shimmy as two/three men wrestle with the log half to get it into position. I honestly was expecting for the whole machine to just fall into pieces. That medium sized round should have been easily split by one man and loaded into a wheel barrow transport to his stacking area.
To the person who says use the lift as a staging area and to catch one half of the split round. That is find and dandy if the lift if is built with a upward wing that extends 24 inches beyond the splitting wedge on a pass thru designed splitter.
The video of this splitter demonstrates four men doing the work of one.

Did we watch the same video?

WoodTick007: What are you splitting with?
It is an old backyard i built job... I try to work smarter and not harder. Once the log is on the splitter it stays at or above working height until it get split into burnable sizes. The wood I get must stay in upright rounds that can be rolled to the splitter. . . or it is too heavy for me to get upright again. I have considered adding a small crane like sold at hf with a small 12v remote controlled winch. Too many good ideas....too little time to do them.

What knd of volume are you doing? You may want to think of investing more money and get a bigger faster machine.

It varies from year to year so I'm only guessing but about 80+ cords a year. I've been working my 22 ton to death. I really need a heaver splitter, and since I'm in the market, for one, I might as well look at ones with log lifts while I'm at it. I am going to get a bigger machine and I'm getting close to pulling the trigger. I just wanted a few more opinions before I do.

Latest posts

Back