I'm Taking this Tree Down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktriebol

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is an old Red Oak that measures about 30 inches dia at the base. I have pondered what to do with this tree over the years and finally decided that it should go. It is old and mis-shapen but is alive and contains lots of good wood. I don't think it is hollow because I have taken down similar trees nearby and they were sound. I happened to mention to my neighbor the other day that I was going to keep my eye out for someone who might need some firewood. Well, he said he would be glad to take it so after the snow melts we are going to take it down. I can get my tractor in there so we will cut it into large sections and use the tractor to lift them onto his trailer. He has a 10,000 lb capacity car hauler. Should be a fun day! We both win. He gets some wood and I get this eyesore removed.
attachment.php

Eyesore? Thats the best looking tree in the picture, might as well do a clear cut;)

Man, clear out around that tree and in ten years it will have a beautiful canopy! I'd sure hate to take it down if it's sound!

I can understand you guys' feelings, but this tree is very old and on the downhill slide. It actually doesn't look too bad from the angle shown in the picture, but it is very crooked and has dead limbs. Other oaks of similar age have blown down and are dangerous to clean up so I might as well take it down now. There are quite a few other good-sized oaks around this property and I am nursing many young oaks here as well. One of my management goals is to increase the number of oaks. I am managing them to be of value for timber as well as acorns. Several snags have been left around the property for the benefit of various wildlife species. I am not hot to cut because the TSI work I do here each year gives me all the chainsaw work that I want. When I bought the property back in 97 it had been highgraded. I have been working since then to get it in shape and it is coming along well.

Hire up a pro to trim and shape it, that is a diamond in the rough. There is not alot of good firewood there anyhow.

TreeCo;1998464 Your management goal of 'increasing the number of oaks' is questionable especially if it is what is driving you to remove this tree.[/QUOTE said:
Not sure what that is supposed to mean. This property supports Red Oak among other mixed hardwoods and softwoods. Increasing the number of oaks here improves the property for timber and wildlife. Cutting down one old oak that is in poor shape so as to make room for other young and healthy ones is indeed good management practice.

I say let it stand too. Many times something that is "old" is looked upon as expendable, and that truly isnt the case. If it was most would do away with their parents or grandparents, when actually they are the wiser of the bunch. If you clear the scrub from around the tree and "manage" it, and take better care if that big old tree your opnion of it might change for the better.

I have been burning wood to heat my house for the last 15 years, and I can say I have never cut down a live tree for the firewood. I wait until mother nature takes her course and then move in to clean up.......

Let it stand.....you would be suprised what you can learn from a tree that old!

Craig

I would also vote for leaving it. Oaks don't grow overnight, no reason to get rid of a growing, live Oak tree.

If i were nearby, i'd gladly come by and lend a hand for some free wood.
I am riding shotgun with Mr. Ductape!

Really tho, your land your choice. I would leave it, the critters will thank you and so will the tree!!

vote to stay

give it a good trim. Let the leaves pop, sit under it and have lunch and a couple cold ones and if you still want to take it down, then do it. Just give it a chance to be a great old oak tree one more time. you may find memories you never would of had.

Back