I'm Taking this Tree Down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stay OUT of those woods ! Predator lives there. If you've seen the movie, you know what i'm talking about.

Oak1.jpg

I wish I could do that with my computer! I sure can with a saw, but I like your way better.

I wish I could do that with my computer! I sure can with a saw, but I like your way better.

Hey coog I'm out for a week. Next weekend I'll do a short editorial for you. Anyone can do it either with saw or computer. :laugh:

attachment.php

It's a wonderous tree.

I wonder who was president when that tree was an acorn.

I wonder how many kids looked at those massive branches and dreamed of building a treehouse. And I wonder if any of them actually did.

I wonder if those massive boughs ever supported a tire swing. And I wonder how many bumps and scrapes and busted bones might have happened from boys daring eachother to do all sorts of crazy stunts - as boys are apt to do.

I wonder if Shel Silverstein ever looked at a tree like that one and was inspired to write childrens books.

Yes - it is a wonderous tree.

To me, it looks like a perfect tree to sit beneath on a late July afternoon with a pitcher of lemonade, a guitar, and a pretty girl.It looks like a great place to bring the kids to years later and reminisce that you used to serenade their mom there long ago.

Yeah cut it down and plant some nice cotton woods or poplars. They'll give you something to do everytime the wind blows and your bored. You'll get good exersise picking up all the garbage that drops.

Last edited:
Man you opened a jar of worms with that post!! I had to have one taken down last year that was twice that size. It stood 8 feet off the corner of my house and the top had been hit by lightning and was dead. They had to use a crane to get it down. The tree measured about 9 feet from the ground up to where it split into two trunks, the section from the ground to the crotch weighted 8200 lbs. It had to have measured at least4-5 foot in diameter around the bottom. I could have gotten enough wood out of that to last me 5 years, but the tree company wouldn't let me have it all, they ground up every limb smaller then 6 inches in diameter. Tore me up watching all that good firewood being turned into mulch! They said if they didn't do it that way, they would have to spend too much time cutting it up and it would have cost me a lot more for the job. It set me back over 3000 to have it taken down. I ended up with about 10 cords of split wood. We all hate to see a nice big old tree like that come down, but sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do!! Good luck with the job.

Lone oak

I think that you should leave the tree thats my vote. You should remove all the dead and prune for structure and balance. Then cut and sell the birch to a rustic furniture maker up in your parts to pay for the pro doing the pruning. As for the pines well thats a lot of kindling.:cheers:

attachment.php

I wonder how many kids looked at those massive branches and dreamed of building a treehouse. And I wonder if any of them actually did.

Hell, i'm 27 and i still think about tree houses when i see big trees with sprawling limbs.

i say leave the oak and cut the birch and other twigs. i've got birch like that on my property and am looking forward to cutting them down soon, along with pretty much all the other birch i have cause most of them are leaning pretty hard.

Latest posts

Back