in a splitter...is oil oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga

wandering
Reaction score
when i built my splitter i used DEX III transmission oil. however, because of some loss of oil during cylinder changes, i have to add more. would it be OK to mix regular hydraulic oil with the tranny oil? what could happen? oil is oil...right?

Ford will tell you to use Ford oil in their machines, because it it best matched to the material the seals are made of. In other word, it will give the longest life. All of the auto/truck/equipment manufactures tell you that. I think the two oils being different weights may seperate and may over time cause damage to the pump, but who knows. I am no expert.

I would not recomend mixing the two oils. Different chemical properties, and they may react to each other, or eat the seals out. Either drain it all out and go Hyd. or fill it back up with Dex III.

I never liked Redneck anyway! :cheers:

So I would say that your not going to have a lot of problims mixing the oil, but why?

Get another jug of Dex III , cost what, $10 bucks?

The number #1 reason not to mix would be that mixing a red Fld and tan Fld, your going to have a little cloudness, checking the Fld color is your best indacator of a problim.

If your pump and cylinder are in good working order, they will run just as good with DexIII as they would with HYD Fld, and maybe run a little cleaner and cooler with the DEX III.

when i built my splitter i used DEX III transmission oil. however, because of some loss of oil during cylinder changes, i have to add more. would it be OK to mix regular hydraulic oil with the tranny oil? what could happen? oil is oil...right?

Let me see !! If "oil was oil", then they would only be one type of oil on the market. Right ? Hello !!!

Let me see !! If "oil was oil", then they would only be one type of oil on the market. Right ? Hello !!!

yea, point taken, but i was given a gallon of new hydraulic oil. i have an 18 gallon tank. i didn't think adding a single gallon would do any harm. i added it anyways and split about two full cords. i have to do about one more and i'm done with the tree.

the jug said it was transmission/hydraulic fluid for a Case tractor....i think it was for that brand...i'll have to check again.

just use water ...
it mixes with anything.
I would use what is in there and dont mix .

Is there a hydraulic shop in your area? Call them. They can advise you on oils and probably have more real-world experience than most. I agree with not mixing oils. We've done that a couple of times with small farm equipment and one particular mix caused a lot of foaming, seal problems, leakage, and pump problems. If I could remember what the mix was I'd tell you but it was one of those "Get that old jug from under the work-bench...I think it's the right kind of stuff" deals. We don't do that anymore.

Being from a "hydraulic shop in the area" I'll add my 2 cents. I guess I wouldn't mix trans fluid & hydraulic oil as a general practice, but I don't think a gallon in your tank will be a problem. Tranny fluid is often used for equipment that is used outside in the winter - it has a low pour point. Not as good at lubricating pumps in the hot weather. Generally fine for small high speed pumps as long as the oil temperature doesn't get too high. If you can't hold your hand on it, it's too hot. Then the oil loses its lubrication value and things wear out faster, and seals get cooked and lose their flexibility.
But I always caution against the cheap hydraulic oil found in the discount stores. It doesn't lubricate well and lets the system temperature get out of control because of increased friction. It's only cheap on the day you buy it!

Don the Hydraulics Guy

i havent heard of using atf for a splitter b4,but i believe its 10 wt oil just the same as hyd. i use aquamarine hyd fluid (enviromentally safe) in mine. you live in new york dont u? i can hook u up with all the regular or enviromental oil u want.im 30 minutes west of albany

DexIII works very well in a splitter, use it in mine, it's not so hard to start and doesn't take as long to warm up in the colder temps.

thanks all. i added the gallon and ran the splitter for almost two days straight. i just took down a HUGE maple tree and split just about every piece i could without a problem. some of the bigger ones i had to get the boys to help lift them onto the splitter.

waste not...want not. put only branches out by the curb.

any citgo dealer has it, i personally get it from polsinello fuels here locally.petro canada also sells a comparable oil called environ aw46.

Back