In search of the perfect chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonathang

Reaction score
Hello All,

First post.

I am interested in purchasing a chainsaw.

The application will be as follows:

I live in a town where the city places all fallen trees (pretty large) in a yard where folks with chainsaws can cut them up for firewood.

The way I look at it, after three cords, I will have paid for the saw.

So, I'd like this to be a good quality saw that will last for many years. Given the nature of my application, could someone make a recommendation.

Thank you.

DG

stihl 441
stihl 460
dolmar 7900
husky 372 modded

have fun dont go to small or you will end up like the rest of us with too many saws:givebeer:

saw

what size logs???:chainsaw:
what is your you level of experience running saws???????????
:popcorn:

what you call a big tree might not be to some so specify how long are the logs?? how big around are the logs if you stand next to them do you have to bend over to put your hat down on them or reach up?? all this will influence decisions. A bar should cut a tree twice to a little less than twice it's total length so a 20 inch bar should cut a tree that comes to my chest (I am 6'4"). How much are you willing to spend for said piece of investment in your future heat?? a good pro saw can cost upwards of 650-850 bucks. How much time do you have under your belt with chainsaw mechanics i.e. use mixing fuel sharpening chains.? all of these things will skew the results you get from here however most here will tell you that the homeowner saws are not all they are cracked up to be I love my ms290 and i believe that for the dollar spent on it one of the best saws out there imho. so there ya go for less than 36" trees grab an ms290 with an 18" bar learn to use it with the safety chain that is standard then when you have sharpened that one off the saw go buy the yellow link one (non safety) and learn all over again. It should last you for about 10-20 years given the proper maintenance.

upandcommer said:
what you call a big tree might not be to some so specify how long are the logs?? how big around are the logs if you stand next to them do you have to bend over to put your hat down on them or reach up?? all this will influence decisions. A bar should cut a tree twice to a little less than twice it's total length so a 20 inch bar should cut a tree that comes to my chest (I am 6'4"). How much are you willing to spend for said piece of investment in your future heat?? a good pro saw can cost upwards of 650-850 bucks. How much time do you have under your belt with chainsaw mechanics i.e. use mixing fuel sharpening chains.? all of these things will skew the results you get from here however most here will tell you that the homeowner saws are not all they are cracked up to be I love my ms290 and i believe that for the dollar spent on it one of the best saws out there imho. so there ya go for less than 36" trees grab an ms290 with an 18" bar learn to use it with the safety chain that is standard then when you have sharpened that one off the saw go buy the yellow link one (non safety) and learn all over again. It should last you for about 10-20 years given the proper maintenance.
You need a saw that can do the work well, without killing it. When I am framing or building concrete forms I use a 28oz. Estwing hammer, yes I could get by with a 16oz. hammer from Home-Depot but why? Like buddy here already said 460, 372.... something in at least 70cc, like do you want to be there forever or do you want to be done quickly?

clearance said:
You need a saw that can do the work well, without killing it. When I am framing or building concrete forms I use a 28oz. Estwing hammer, yes I could get by with a 16oz. hammer from Home-Depot but why? Like buddy here already said 460, 372.... something in at least 70cc, like do you want to be there forever or do you want to be done quickly?

I suppose in one of those yards, the guy with a bigger saw can "Slice and Dice" the "more desireable" pieces quicker, and hopefully end up with more wood. (If there is other people scrounging) The trunks are usually the hardest/densest wood. Also a bigger saw can "cut up" those knarly pieces, that refuse to split.

jensen 32000 said:
I suppose in one of those yards, the guy with a bigger saw can "Slice and Dice" the "more desireable" pieces quicker, and hopefully end up with more wood. (If there is other people scrounging) The trunks are usually the hardest/densest wood. Also a bigger saw can "cut up" those knarly pieces, that refuse to split.
Sawing instead of splitting? Step up to the 90cc class, thats hard on a saw, I always buck em so I get long shavings, got to yard them out every so often. If thats the case and the logs are big, decked out and delimbed I would get an old 394 or 066, why mess about. Anyways Djon, no matter what, get all the proper p.p.e. and always stand to one side when you buck.

A bit more information

Hello All,

Thanks for the replies:

Here's a bit more information. The trees in the yard come in all shapes and sizes...some being 36", while many being in the 16-20 range.

I imagine heading over there 3-5 times per year, striking while the supply is hot. So lot's of bells and whistles aren't necessary. I'd just like a good machine that I'm proud to own, and will work safely (strong and sharp). To answer one question...no I don't want to be there all day.

I did some research on the 441 and 460. My local store was closed, and it is difficult to find pricing on the net. I'm embarassed to say that my budget (the one I can justify to my wife) is about $300. Reasonable? I know the folks on this list are pretty experienced, and this might be a junk price.

A question was asked about experience. I'd say just a little. Nothing with any chainsaw of real power.

With the $300 budget I would look for the Makita 6401 at Home Depot for around $200 used. Then when money comes, buy the larger piston and cylinder for it and you will own a 7900 clone.
That or look for a good used 440/044.
Andy

saw

for that dollar range check ebay. otherwise your in pulon type of saw:laugh:
:popcorn:
\:buttkick:

sawinredneck said:
With the $300 budget I would look for the Makita 6401 at Home Depot for around $200 used. Then when money comes, buy the larger piston and cylinder for it and you will own a 7900 clone.
That or look for a good used 440/044.
Andy[/QUOTE
I agree with Andy.It is the most bang for the money you have available to spend. Check with the rental departments at your local HD. When they have rented out the saws a certain number of times they get sold for approximately $205. They throw a new bar and a chain on them when they are sold. The Makita saws are made by Dolmar and are pretty decent. The cylinder and piston upgrade setup (64cc to 79 cc) costs about another $200. There are sponsors here at AS who will be more than happy to get you set up.

$300 might be a little lean for a new saw that will make you proud. Something like a Husky 350 is a high quality consumer saw that can be had for that amount, but will have to work pretty hard for wood over 16" in diameter. If you're willing to leave the bigger stuff for someone else or take a while to cut, it might work for you. Remember that the effective cutting portion of the bar is about 2" less than the bar length, so a saw with a 18" bar is good up to about 16" in diameter.

If you are willing to spend around $450 on the net, then you can get something like a Dolmar 5100, which is one of the most talked about saws on this forum. I hear it handles a 20" bar nicely and have read a number of posts of people putting longer bars on it. I think it's really designed for 16" - 20" bars for normal use. Many will recommend you buy from a local dealer, which you may not have for this brand; it will cost you a little more but may pay dividends if things go bad.

If you really intend to cut lumber 22"-28" in diameter with any regularity, I'd recommend a 70-80cc saw. You'll have to consider a used saw to meet your price goals, but your local dealer might be able to help you out on a trade-in or a refurb. I run a Husky 372xp which performs well and is well respected on this forum. They are getting hard to find new as they have just been discontinued for emmision reasons. There are tons of used ones around and parts are plentiful. I've found this saw good for bars up to 32" when using skip chain. Baileysonline.com had a few left as of last week for $579 (must add chains and bar which might run you another $150 or so including shipping). Many of the Stihl guys like the Stihl 440 or 460 which are roughly equivalent in performance.

The Dolmar 7900 or Husky 385 would be another step up in size. My guess is this is more than you need or want for your work. If you plan on ripping big lumber as you mentioned in your previous post, it will take a lot of saw. I think you'll find splitting a better option for your budget.

If pride of ownership is a big deal, consider the Dolmar 5100 with a 20" bar and a handful of chains. Take a little longer on the big stuff or leave it for someone else. I hear its a great saw, runs around 4.0hp stock, and is light for its performance. It sounds like a lot of saw for the money. You'll have to get creative to find another $150 to buy it new, but you only have to buy it once. You'll get to enjoy it every time you use it. I'll let the guys who own one tell you which chain size to get. I enjoy the 95VP on my smaller saw, but some prefer 3/8" LG on the 5100. I imagine the 0.325" 95VP is a little easier on the saw (narrow kerf, less drag) and may be useful if you find yourself on larger wood frequently. I'll defer to the guys that actually own the 5100 to express their opinion.

Have fun and be careful.

I would hafta say the perfect saw would be the one that does all the work for you, comes attached to a great pair of legs and a nice set of ______, and even makes a nice steak while I sit and watch the game.

Sorry, I think I got side tracked.

Come on Guys. Read the posts.. The guy would be just fine with an MS290. and not get in trouble with the wife...

Much Obliged!

Hello All,

Thanks for your time and thoughtful input. I'm forever amazed how the "World Wide Web" can create neighbors of us all. I'll take all of your experience and advice see what I can find/afford.

I'm much obliged.

Best,

DG

daemon2525 said:
Come on Guys. Read the posts.. The guy would be just fine with an MS290. and not get in trouble with the wife...

The 290 is junk! I would go with any of the other saws before that and even go to a different dealer before buying that saw!

stckciv said:
The 290 is junk! I would go with any of the other saws before that and even go to a different dealer before buying that saw!

Your opinion not mine. I have had many and think that they are a good inexpensive saw with great parts availability. Never any problems that were not operator issues. For $340.00, hard to beat value in terms of service and parts. Still cannot get Husky parts even with a new local dealer. Have to go through Bailey's.

Back