In search of the perfect chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justsaws said:
Your opinion not mine. I have had many and think that they are a good inexpensive saw with great parts availability. Never any problems that were not operator issues. For $340.00, hard to beat value in terms of service and parts. Still cannot get Husky parts even with a new local dealer. Have to go through Bailey's.

The Stihl MS290 is good, but we don't even know if he needs a wheel chock!

I'd have to say go with the MS290. A lot of guys on here will tell you they are junk, but they are a good saw for what you are talking about doing unless you are running one everyday all day long. For a little over three hundred bucks you can have a brand new saw that will last a long time if you take care of it. I ran a 20" bar on my 290 and never had any problems with it whatsoever.

deezulsmoke said:
I'd have to say go with the MS290. A lot of guys on here will tell you they are junk, but they are a good saw for what you are talking about doing unless you are running one everyday all day long. For a little over three hundred bucks you can have a brand new saw that will last a long time if you take care of it. I ran a 20" bar on my 290 and never had any problems with it whatsoever.
Good advise. I'd recommend a 18 inch b&c though. :)

Check the pawn shops in your area also. You say you live in the SF bay area, probably a lot of shops there. I am a freak of nature because I bought my slightly used awsome running 044 at a pawn shop for $125. That being said, I doubt you will find one for that cheap. However I have seen some on ebay that looked pretty good for $375-400 range and you will not be sorry if you buy one if it was well taken care of. I have also seen a lot of guys using the MS290 who cut and sell a lot of firewood and that saw hasn't let them down yet. It wouldn't be my first choice but I won't knock it either. So you have some options.

If I had to have new with within this budget.
Rather than a MS290

I would take a hard look on the Makita DCS540 / Dolmar 540

This would be my second choice, the first also being
the used 6401 at HD.

The idea of buying a retired Home Depot rental chainsaw is a little scary. I'm pretty sure I don't want to own something on which a hundred first time users learned.

I guess most of the abuse is absorbed by the bar and chain, which can be easily replaced. That's assuming most of the renters used the correct gas/oil mix and knew which fluid to put in each hole! Can't you just save money and mix a little bar oil in the gas anyway....

engineeringnerd said:
The idea of buying a retired Home Depot rental chainsaw is a little scary. I'm pretty sure I don't want to own something on which a hundred first time users learned.
There is no way on earth I'd buy anything used from Home Depot. You have no clue what that saw went through. Makes my stomach turn buying anything new from there anyway. Spend a few bucks more and do it right.:greenchainsaw: If your looking at the MS290, why not look at the MS270 or MS280 as well.

Back