In with both feet....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upnorth4

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just jumped into a big investment.....
I ordered a Husqvarna 395 and a Alaskan MkIII...
I really hope this works out..
My plan is to use the set up to mill pine logs to create a "cheater" log barn (I'm going to mill the top and bottom of the logs flat and square then lock them together with a strip of plywood set into a routered groove).
As all of the logs will be in the 12"-16" range and I wont really be milling the saw might be over kill, however I figure that this one will last and I wont be wanting to upgrade.
The setup will be tested first this weekend building hasty "bailey bridges" to get a couple qauds across muskeg (going hunting in northern Alberta). The idea is to half 8' logs and join them side by side then lay these down across swapy areas....

I would love to any thoughts or advice about these plans and setup.

Last edited:
So you will mill flats on each side of the logs and stack them? Maybe only a 6" or 8" wide cut... No problem for your big Husky. You've got the power to mill some wide floor and roof boards if you want. Got some ripping chains? If not, Bailey's can set you up fast.

I have read that milling is not the best way to break in a new saw... Maybe you can break it in getting your logs down. :chainsaw:

Welcome to this fun and productive hobby! :rock:

I have read that milling is not the best way to break in a new saw... Maybe you can break it in getting your logs down. QUOTE]

Welcome to AS. Woodsurfer has a really good point. You're going to want to run at least a few tanks of gas through the saw first, or at the very least, richen up the carb settings to about 10,000 or even 9750 rpm for several tanks of gas. You don't want to use a brand new saw at 12,500rpm for several minutes at a time. Get someone at a saw shop to tune the carb rich, or better yet get a 2 stroke tachometer.

Happy milling!!

The 395 is a great choice. My 395 is one of my best saws and I am very confident that it will do the job for you with ease. Have fun with it.

Your CSM rig will serve you well. I would recommend getting a spare bar and a few extra loops of chain and be patient with the file. Your projects do sound fun.
Next spring I plan on building a vertical log cabin with baton. I plan on cutting the logs into 6” by 6”. There seems to be a lot of advantages with this style of construction with green logs. Good luck on the construction and hunting trip.

Get ready for hours of good clean...err, good fun.

You will never look at a tree the same way again. You will never speak to your friends and neighbors the same again. You will always be on the lookout for tree action in the neighborhood, and did I mention you would have some fun.

I mill with two different bars. I've got a 36" that I use most of the time, and a 42" when things get big, or I run out of 36" chains. The 42 allows you to max out the width of a 36" mill. Get an auxiliary oiler with another oiler bolt/nut/washer for a second bar for 36"+ bars. Search the site for guide rail systems, there are many good ideas around. I've got the bottom half of an aluminum extension ladder for big stuff, and a 2x8x8' guide board for most things. Get a box of #8x3" zip screws, a good rechargeable drill with an extra battery, some good hearing protection (you are right on top of a loud saw for a long time) and you have a start. Search through this area for ideas on what everyone carries out with them. You will find some really great ideas, and a couple of guys who really have "systems". I'm not organized enough to be one of those guys.

BTW, earmuffs are great for milling, that way you don't have to clean all that fine dust out of your ears. And a good dust mask, you will make plenty. Baileys has good ripping chain, that is very affordable, and we are all here to help if you need it.

Mark

My 395/Granberg combo has served me well. It will take care of that sized pine no problem. As was said above, patience is probably what you need the most of starting out. That and several sharp chains. Change them out or stop and sharpen as soon as they START to get dull, or it will start to get painfully slow, and also it will then take you twice as long to sharpen. I agree with those that say you don't want to run a brand new saw flat out milling right from the start. I put 6-7 tankfuls of gas through my 395 before I did any serious milling with it. I know... that will be tough to do. I had another large saw to use in the meantime though, so I kinda cheated on the having to wait, which I might not have been able to do otherwise.

Latest posts

Back