Indian Summer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
It was 80o at 7:00 pm tonight. I have to say it was a beautiful day and an even better evening. But, I'm ready for fall now. You know, frost on the grass and the need for a cozy fire. I have not worked this week but maybe next week and I do not want gray warm days and high humidity. I hate humid days!

On the plus side I had to chase cows around 5:30 tonight on the quad and it was a beautiful night. Bob I know you know cows so even pullling out after birth did not seem to stink too bad.

So no more 90o days please Mr Sun God. Fall can start right now.

But the house isn't getting any sun this time of year so I have to build a fire.
We're having 60ish temps for highs and east winds. Hard to figure out what outfits to wear....freezing in the morning and fog then warmth in the afternoon. The road builder was warming his hands up on his cat exhaust yesterday morning.

I'm enjoying the heck out of this indian summer. I had to call the coordination center and put myself back up as available for aviation management assignments in the event southern California blows up. :)

It was 80o at 7:00 pm tonight. I have to say it was a beautiful day and an even better evening. But, I'm ready for fall now. You know, frost on the grass and the need for a cozy fire. I have not worked this week but maybe next week and I do not want gray warm days and high humidity. I hate humid days!

On the plus side I had to chase cows around 5:30 tonight on the quad and it was a beautiful night. Bob I know you know cows so even pullling out after birth did not seem to stink too bad.

So no more 90o days please Mr Sun God. Fall can start right now.

We're having the same weather here. It feels strange to be almost done with logging while the weather is still no nice. We usually fight it right up until we can't get through the mud or snow. I could get used to this.

We'll be shipping calves to Cottonwood next week but other than that we're kind of in a holding pattern with the cows. We're keeping a bunch of replacement heifers this year and culling older cows a few at a time. I haven't pulled any afterbirth lately but I had to sew up three prolapses last spring...at night and in the rain. Isn't that always the way? Those three old gals are definitely going down the road before winter.:)

We've had a good acorn crop this year so my oak restoration project continues. I have to hustle to beat the squirrels and blue-jays to the good acorns, though.

It'll be 85 tomorrow...good day for getting the work done early and hitting the concrete pond right after lunch. :cheers:

How are beef prices doing down there? I got $1.30/lb. on the hoof for a couple of three year-olds, down from $1.60 last year.

It depends. We locked in a price on our steers earlier in the year with a commercial buyer for a feedlot . We made out alright on that...not great but alright. He buys from us every year, usually just the better stuff, and the rest we take to the sale.

Last time I looked at the WLJ 700 lb steers were right around 1.15 in penlots. It's down from last year.

Prices on pairs and slaughter cows are still up pretty good...another reason we're culling heavy this year.

LOL...But remember...I can't violate the unspoken cattleman's oath that you never admit if you're happy with the price, never admit to making a profit, and never ever under any circumstances admit to doing much more than just breaking even.

Last edited:
LOL...But remember...I can't violate the unspoken cattleman's oath that you never admit if you're happy with the price, never admit to making a profit, and never ever under any circumstances admit to doing much more than just breaking even.

When I was a kid I was told I can only ask about the feed, the water, or the fencing.

When I was a kid I was told I can only ask about the feed, the water, or the fencing.

LOL...sounds about right. I was always taught never to ask "How many head do you run?" or "How many acres do you have?" That was considered to be rude...I don't know why. But you just didn't, and still don't, ask those questions of somebody unless you know them real well and they lead you to the topic.

This break in the weather really saved me. With the deadline from the mill, and the earlier rains, I thought I'd be leaving 15 loads of fell and buck in the woods this season. I hate that.

As it is, it looks like I'll be cleaned up and looking pretty, (long as nothing breaks down).

I logged and shipped 9 loads in three days, working alone. Cleaned up and piled the brush to burn as I went. Hell of a week. Have another 6 loads to pick up, scattered stuff. Slow logging now, but managed to squeak out 2 loads yesterday.

Maybe I'll take some pics today. Its going to be gnarly. Really steep, and the cutter left the trees full length so make it possible to reach them with the shovel. I will be cutting a 30" fir to make a bulkhead to level the machine, then 'jammer' logging with a 30' choker off the grapples. I call it 'log fishing'.

I thought you might get a chuckle out of that.

My day went bad. I sholdn't have taken a camera to work. Bad ju ju.

My morning walk around showed both tracks off the over track rollers, and one track pin (master) half out, cockeyed, and probably bent. I think one segment of track rail is toast too. I limped the machine back to the shop.

Pioneering in yesterday I was struggling throuhg a stump garden, on a steep slope, and most likely knocked things askew on stumps. First time I've ever got both sides at once.

Latest posts

Back