Info on a 028 AV Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DelanoJoe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a 028 AV Super Wood Boss and have no idea how old it is - It must be up there in age since I can't even find 028 manuals on the Stihlusa.com site. It's in great condition, fresh tuneup and new chain, but it would be nice to have an original service manual.

Would an 029 owners manual be close enough? I want to make sure I take care of it and I also need to understand how to do basic service to it.

No, an 029 manual will not tell you squat about the 028, they're TOTALLY different machines. the 028 being older, and built like a pro saw. similar quality to the pro models, except built for semi pros I believe. the saw is reliable as gravity if properly maintained, and cared for, and will last forever if taken care of well.

As one members signature line says, any saw is only as good as the maintainence it recieves.

The 028 has been around since the mid 70's. I have the exact saw you are describing. I don't think there was an 028 "Super" in Wood Boss tags though. There was the 028AV, 028AV type 2 (Super?), and the 028AV Wood Boss model with electronic ignition. However I could be wrong. The type 2 could be the Super since it has a slightly bigger displacement. Good saw though. Mine is my "go-to" saw and I have run everything from an 18" to a 28" bar on 'er. The manuals are available from Stihl. They will just send you a photo-copy of the original. Don't know if the 029 manual would be compareable.

Gary

I correct myself on this one....

After checking Mike Acres site. The 028AV displaces 43 cc's, and the 028AV type 2 and the 028AV Wood Boss both displace 47 cc's. Stihl's "Super" saws always have the word "Super" on the tags. So I don't believe Stihl offered an 028 "Super". But I could be wrong again....... :p

Gary

the 10th edition Interec chain saw service manual lists; 028 av,ave,wb,wbe,-43cc; 028aveq,aveqwb,--47cc and 028avs,avseq,avseqwb,--51.4cc.

You can get a manual for the 028 on ebay.
I bought one for mine but I haven't had to work on it yet.
They are very good and dependable saws
You'll love it.

effdee

spacemule said:
What's a semi pro? Is that anything like being partly pregnant or just alike, except they're different?

That must be like one of Fishes 1/2 fat chicks! :laugh: :laugh:

You can get an owner's manual from Stihl. Email them, and they'll send you one. You can get the IPL here:

http://www.giftsofwood.com/stihl_info.htm (Thanks to Tom.)

And yeah, get your service manual on ebay. You could probably also order one from a Stihl dealer. I ordered a service manual for my 361 from the dealer for like $4.

Jeff

Seeing is believing,

Bought it new, it's had a real hard life, still runs and has 160 lbs. compression, been looking for a good parts saw to dress it up and do some work on it to get it back to what it was. It has been a very good saw.

Lot of trees and firewood cut with this one and quite a few memories, even won a freindly cutting competion with it at a Vermeer open house. There is one thing about this 028, it is real prone to kick-back with RS chain on it if your not careful with it.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all the great responses! I'll check out the site and see about getting manuals. I got this from a pawn shop for 190.00, which didn't sound too bad since it's in great shape. Had it looked over at a small engine repair and he did a complete tuneup and put a new chain on, so I'm ready to go. For a saw thats as old as this one is, I'm surprised it's not more beat up. I did take it out last weekend and it cuts like butter! I'm more concerned with making sure maintenance is done right so this lasts me another 30 years.

BTW - it is a Super Wood Boss. I was going to just go get a new Craftsman or Poulan, but my brother stopped me. He said go with Stihl and you'll never be sorry. Glad I took his advice.

I forgot to ask one more question - I've also heard you should use non-oxygeniated gas for the saw (non-unleaded) - is this correct? There is a station in town that sells that, but again, not sure if this is better or worse for the saw.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:
Non oxygenated means no alcohol or other oxygenators. Not that it is not unleaded. The oxygenators lean out the air/fuel mix as they burn faster than gasoline does. They also harm the rubber fuel system parts. Avoiding it is a good practice if you can. If not, make sure the carb is tuned for oxygenated fuel.

Latest posts

Back