Info on a sears 917.351050, D44 direct drive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roanoker494

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Bought this saw off Ebay and would like to find some info on it, Acres website does not show this model. I believe it to be around 70cc but it can be hard to tell with these older all steel saws. Does not have a auto oiler. The saw has a busted clutch shoe, anyone know if the parts are still available? Other than that the saw starts and runs perfectly.

Thank you

That saw was made by Roper (which became AYP---American Yard Products years later) for Sears. That's a wierd carb there. Check out the vertical throttle and choke shafts and 'merry go round' throttle arm! Cool, in an odd sorta way. Kinda looks like a strange copy of a McCulloch 'Flat Back' carb other than the throttle shaft. Take damn good care of the carb. DO NOT leave gas sitting in it over an extended period of time, ESPECIALY if you are limited to gas with ethenol in it. Doubt you'd be able to find another set of diaphragms for it, unless you luck out on an NOS set on feebay.

The engine should be made by Tecumseh/Power Products. Looks to be one of the 'newer' horrizontal cylinder versions of the AH47 4.7ci/77cc engine. Not crazy powerful, but a good torquey engine and dead nuts reliable.

Great find. There are a lot of those types of saws around, but usualy not in that nice of shape. The ones I've seen had a "normal" Tillotson HL series carb instead of the interesting unit you have there. If need be, you could probably swap in an HL in the future (though you'd have to modify or replace the throttle linkage). Keep an eye out on Craigslist. Betcha can find a parts saw (or five) there for peanuts. They come up quite often...:cheers:

Roanoker,

You just entered a form of CAD that is like no other!!!! WELCOME!

I love all my D series saws! But prefer the gear drives!!!
I have one direct saw I use for parts.
They are pretty straight forward saw that parts are easy to get from the BAY!
Sears has the parts list on there site.

Here is a couple of mine. I have 9 gear drives (7 are runners!) and as runners, they go out back to the firewood landing with me to get a little gas down there throat! The one to have is the 58 motor! They are a little power house!!!!

Couple Pics,

attachment.php

attachment.php

Put a gauge on the saw and only found 100psi compression. Pulled the muffler and there is some score marks on the piston. Anyone know if you can still find pistons for these engine? May even end up needing a cylinder?

Some one told me there may be a tag on the bottom stating who made the engine, but I have found no such tag.

917.351050 uses the Tecumseh AH440 engine. The engine type should be #1497.

Bore = 2.09" , Stroke = 1.25", Displacement in cu." = 4.30

There is usually an aluminum tag secured underneath one of the crank case cover bolts. They are pretty flimsy & not what you consider when you think of a "normal" ID plate that is riveted into place. This tag is the key to properly identifying the engine assembly. Power Products/Tecumseh made a huge number of engines for a large number of saw manufacturers during the heyday of the chain saw. They basically made 2 different engine types. They made split crankcase engines (AHXX) and then they made unit block engines (AHXXX). Your Sears saw is of the later type.

The carburetor is a Tecumseh diaphragm model. Diaphragms & needle & seats are readily available since Tecumseh basically used these same parts, as far as I have seen, on all of their own 2-cycle engine carbs.

The infamous Roper clutch shoes are indeed very delicate. I have a Sears 3.7 Ranger saw that the previous owner broke several of the shoes in an attempt to replace the drive rim. They are hard to find. I also have the same model of D-44 that Guido Salvage posted a pic of. The engine type on mine is #1521, also an AH440 variant. It would be interesting to see if a clutch & drum assembly from a different manufacturer would fit.

You might try Sears parts . com and enter your model #, & see if anything pops up. Don't expect to find those clutch shoes. ;)

Put a gauge on the saw and only found 100psi compression. Pulled the muffler and there is some score marks on the piston. Anyone know if you can still find pistons for these engine? May even end up needing a cylinder?

Don't panic yet. According to one of my Intertec manuals, cranking pressure, referred to as "Compression pressure at cranking speed" calls for a reading of at least 90 psi. ;)

Don't panic yet. According to one of my Intertec manuals, cranking pressure, referred to as "Compression pressure at cranking speed" calls for a reading of at least 90 psi. ;)

Thank you for that info, panic was already setting in on the deal. I only have $40 tied up in the whole saw. I could probably get my money back by parting it out, if it comes down to it.

D-44 parts

Anyone have any other info on this saw? I bought one for $70 on eBay and need an air filter cover.

d44 engine cover

I don't know anything about them, except thay are kind of cool looking. I only have one D44 and 3 D49's. My D49's have automatic oilers in addition to the manual one. One of mine is N.O.S and has never had the bar mounted.:hmm3grin2orange:
attachment.php

You say you have a D44, would you be willing to sell the engine cover off it? You could then part it out on eBay.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 302078View attachment 302079View attachment 302080View attachment 302081[/QUOTE

I don't know anything about them, except thay are kind of cool looking. I only have one D44 and 3 D49's. My D49's have automatic oilers in addition to the manual one. One of mine is N.O.S and has never had the bar mounted.:hmm3grin2orange:
attachment.php

You say you have a D44, would you be willing to sell the engine cover off it? You could then part it out on eBay.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 302078View attachment 302079View attachment 302080View attachment 302081[/QUOTE

I have the cover that same off the saw that started this thread. PM me if interested.

Latest posts

Back