inherited saws need chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed79

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently inherited a very low hour used husqvarna 50 Rancher and an old but in great shape Homelite XL 130. I am actually confused if this husqvarna 50 is a rancher or just a 50 as it's a grey top but says rancher on the handle by the throttle. If anyone knows about model variations in the husqvarna 50 let me know what I have here.

I am also looking for information regarding nonsafety chain, we used to do a lot of cutting on the farm but it seems local saw shops "rental agencies" are refusing to sell anything but safety chain to nonpro's around here now. All I want to buy is one 18" .325 72 full chisel chain another of the same with a semi chisel for the husqvarna and whatever that Homelite with a 20 inch bar uses in a full chisel all non safety chain.

I haven't cut much for the last five years or so but I've been around saws since I could walk and help with the small saw mill my father and his father ran. Does anyone know of a shop that will sell me the chain I want in or around Smiths Falls,Perth or merickville or online in Canada?

I would think Baileys have what you need - make sure you know the gauge you need.

As far as I know, all the Husky 50s were either Rancher (49cc) or Special (51cc) - but I could be wrong.......

Husqvarna dropped the "Rancher" tag on the 50's prior to 1988. I bought one new then and there was no reference to "Rancher" anywhere on the saw or manual. The literature Husqvarna released about this time stated that it had deliberately dropped the "Rancher" appellation as the improvements made to the saw recently had put it "almost" in the professional category.

Forgot to add the Gauge, it's .58 and I'll take a look at Baileys. I guess this is a 49cc variant then as it doesn't say "special" anywhere on the saw.

Here are some pics of it. Is it ok to run that "winter" air filter on it anytime of the year?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Cutter's Choice

Try this Wed Site, www.cutterschoice.com ,or 1-888-817-4707. They are Located down in London Ontario. You can place an Order at this Phone Number, and pay with Credit Card. They will ship right to your Door Step. If you buy 3 or more Chains, you get a Better Price. Remember to ask for Farm Use, if you are Buying Chains to do work on your Farm
When I go there, I usually make a Day out of it, and go Shopping there, with my Wife to Be. London is 45 Miles form me.
Hope this helps. Bruce.

That is a nice example of a very good saw. They have a very earnest following. My personal feeling is that the may have been built with a bit more quality than the newest incarnation, the 55. The 50s seem to last forever.

Your saw seems to be the very last incarnation of the "Rancher". The 50 that succeeded it looked exactly the same in every respect apart from the name on the handle. This is one of the most reliable "firewood +" saws that Husqvarna has ever built, not a screamer but a rock solid workhorse.

Here are some pics of it. Is it ok to run that "winter" air filter on it anytime of the year?

Looks good - do you have the serial number?

I wouldn't use the winter filter, unless the regular one gave me trouble - more/larger debris gets trough it.

I prefere the regular mesh ones, and they have not given me any trouble so far, regardless of time oof the year.

would there be any difference between this saw and the regular 50?

I am not sure what air filter is on it, looks like a winter one, I thought the normal filters were more then just a screen like this one seems to be.

I was looking at this chain 28RC from bailey's, may go for it as it's only 10.99.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=WPL+18+28RC72&catID=822

Last edited:
Your saw looks like the 1985 version. Prior to this the 50's had white top covers which they changed to dark grey and re-styled. It is to all intents and purposes the same as succeeding 49cc versions. The air filter (501 76 29-01) looks like the standard mesh filter common to all 50s. This was the only version of the filter available in the UK (and probably Europe) combining a simple choke and filter role. (Do inspect it carefully as they are prone to tiny pinholes caused by chip debris which can be repaired with a tiny dab of hot melt glue, as long as they are small and only one or two,otherwise just replace the filter )

Last edited:
Interesting while searching for info on a 50 that I bought today I find this thread going on.

I also wondered about the "Rancher" inserts on the handle of the gray top I bought. I just picked it up this morning from the older gentlman who told me he bought it new in 84.

I just went out and looked at it and the serial # is 5413858. The owners manual states 1985, maybe the owners memory was close to when he bought it.

This was a craigslist find that I jumped on at first chance. Came with all the extras, chains, files, wedges, helmet etc.

I pmed SawTroll my serial number and he stated that my saw was stamped 1985 week 41 so with everyone's comments and my serial number info It looks like this saw was manufactured in 1985.

I wasn't sure about the air filter as the manual i have has a filter listed that is of a thicker material and not screen, the screen one is listed as the "winter filter" here in Canada. though I the manual I have isn't for the 50, i have a manual for a Husqvarna 36/41. I am guessing the filters are similar though.

Thanks for the heads up woodbine, I will check the filter before I cut anything.

Non-Woven 530029811
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Graphics/hom6.jpg

hom6.jpg

Husqvarna 50 Rancher pre 1985
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...660871084c2df61b88256b520015f7bc?OpenDocument

Husqvarna 50
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...e23c1d50f53b482c88256b520015e468?OpenDocument

Nice score Modifiedmark, Your saw looks to have less wear on the plastic then mine and you came away with a few extras. The Rancher with the grhey top are a bit odd, I guess they were only manufactured for a few years compared to the regular Rancher and or the 50 runs.

I am in the market for a used parts saw atm, would like to com across a craigslist deal like you had.

Interesting while searching for info on a 50 that I bought today I find this thread going on.

I also wondered about the "Rancher" inserts on the handle of the gray top I bought. I just picked it up this morning from the older gentlman who told me he bought it new in 84.

I just went out and looked at it and the serial # is 5413858. The owners manual states 1985, maybe the owners memory was close to when he bought it.

This was a craigslist find that I jumped on at first chance. Came with all the extras, chains, files, wedges, helmet etc.

Another one from 1985 week 41............

............but Eds is the newest one......:laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
Another one from 1985 week 41............

............but Eds is the newest one......:laugh: :laugh:

That's a real coincidence that those two saws were manufactured the same week! At least I get to say I have a newer saw then someone around here :)

what would be a fair price for these two saws if I put them up on ebay or the trading post? Both are runners the 1985 Rancher needs a clutch face plate to be %100 as the old one is showing wear and the homelite is in great shape.

If anyone has any intrest in these saws I am going to be putting hem up forsale soon. cheers..

Back