injured logger charity give away

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
run of the mill race chains cost 150-200 bucks.
some of your best chains go for 300.
a cliff helsel chain,,,,,,,, well,,,,,,, get to bidding and we shall see just what it costs you.

current bid on the cliff helsel race chain is 200. whos gonna bid 225??????????

then id say your the high bidder :clap: now if you end up with this chain i want to borrow it :hmm3grin2orange:

then id say your the high bidder :clap: now if you end up with this chain i want to borrow it :hmm3grin2orange:

Lol, thats prolly one thing that I could see myself acting like Scrat does with his acorn.....lol. just kiddin...

I talked with Cliff and he said
that the chain has been thinned.
He also said that it is about filed.He
also said that the chain will be
race ready!! The two best guys that thin
chains is Dennis Cahoon and
Melvin Lentz!!! This one was
thinned by Melvin. Try to get
either one of these guys to thin
You a chain. Just trying to tell
you guys the quality and time
that has been put in to this chain.

fully thinned and race ready,holy ****. right now maclaren is the high bidder at 250. come on guys this is one of the best chains going that money ''cant'' buy. you gotta know somebody to get all this chain has to offer. do i hear $300??????????????????????????????

I talked with Cliff and he said
that the chain has been thinned.
He also said that it is about filed.He
also said that the chain will be
race ready!! The two best guys that thin
chains is Dennis Cahoon and
Melvin Lentz!!! This one was
thinned by Melvin. Try to get
either one of these guys to thin
You a chain. Just trying to tell
you guys the quality and time
that has been put in to this chain.

What's thinning? Do you have any close up pics of similar worked over chain?

Not that I can bid on this chain, just wondering.

thanks in advance!

i dont have any chian pics at all. its almost like trying to get a photo of big foot. lol

What's thinning? Do you have any close up pics of similar worked over chain?

Not that I can bid on this chain, just wondering.

thanks in advance!

Thinning a chain is Dennis and Melvin's
secrets!! I know they have to break the
chain completely apart. And that takes
countless hours. Sory but you can get
yourself into big trouble for posting pics
of another man's work!! Not that it could
be duplicated because several have tried
with no success ;)

Thinning a chain is Dennis and Melvin's
secrets!! I know they have to break the
chain completely apart. And that takes
countless hours. Sory but you can get
yourself into big trouble for posting pics
of another man's work!! Not that it could
be duplicated because several have tried
with no success ;)

--that's cool, I just wondered what that term meant. I ran a search and looked up some other threads and discussions on it. Narrowing the chain to make a smaller kerf, etc.

--that's cool, I just wondered what that term meant. I ran a search and looked up some other threads and discussions on it. Narrowing the chain to make a smaller kerf, etc.

There's even more to it than that... These things cut like a damn laser... There's a TON of time invested in a race chain... I'm surprised they don't cost $1500.00...
:amazed:

40 hours

To get an idea of the effort/time involved in a serious race chain,do a search for "Art Martin"race chains.I raced saws in small events locally.My first exposure to chisel bit files and racing chains were competitors at the Booneville ,NY. Woodsmen Competition in 1980.Trying to learn how to flat file was challenging.I estimate to have 40 hours of grinding, filing and testing on the first bona fide race chain that I had success with. The time and effort for dechroming and massaging the chain that serious competitors invest I could only guess at.Having a buddy who is a machine shop owner would have helped immensely.It is exciting to witness your first race chain that is a quantum leap from the best round filing has to offer.Truly is an art.:clap:

There's even more to it than that... These things cut like a damn laser... There's a TON of time invested in a race chain... I'm surprised they don't cost $1500.00...
:amazed:

If they are potentially worth that much, why not any commercial offerings then? From, the big chain manufacturers? I mean I guess I can guess at the answer, demand would be too small, but still, if they are that much better.

OK, another tarded question...how long would one of these chains last in real world clean wood cutting? Or are they shot and need to be rebuilt or replaced after just a few cuts..hmm..like competition drag car slicks.

Anyway, doesn't matter all that much to me, all I really wanted to know what was thinning, and I found out after I looked it up. Racing is just wayyy outta my league/budget and interest for the most part.

Just from what I have seen in a very few vids, the guy who can bend and start and get to cutting *fast* has most of the "edge", pun intended.

i would think that you could get a season or more out of racing a chain in race type clean wood.

i would think that you could get a season or more out of racing a chain in race type clean wood.

--that's interesting, especially with the chrome removed.

Of course a lot of wood working tools are not chrome plated, so....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back