injured sharpenng chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just thought I would post this up. I often end up getting little nicks/scratches when hand sharpening. I try to wear gloves when I'm doing a bunch of saws - I wear kevlar blue welding gloves - but when doing a quick touch up I often don't bother. The gloves are great. You don't lose much feel and you can freely grab the chain and not be at risk of a cut. The way I sharpen is to fasten the whole saw in a vice. I have 30 degree marks on the bench so I can get a consistent angle. I use both hands on the file - one at the front and one at the back.

How I end up nicking myself is that sometimes the tooth has become shallow... the file isnt deep enough in the gullet. If have time, I'll file the gullet out deeper but if I'm in a hurry I just give it a few licks. The file ends up skidding off the top of the tooth and you nick yourself on the cutter, or sometimes on the dogs.

Couple of days ago I was filing up a bunch of saws and wasnt wearing gloves. I like to put quite a lot of 'push' into my file so I only do one stroke or two rather than 3 or 4. With 2 hands you can really put some lean on the file especially if the chain brake is engaged. The file skidded off the top of the cutter, and my right hand smashed into the cutter full force. The cutter sliced open the outside of my right index finger, a cut about an inch and a half long, pretty much to the bone. It needed stitches but my local medical centre didnt have a doctor on staff that late at night so they supeglued it back together. It will heal fine but leave a scar. I'll be wearing gloves from now on.

Shaun

The only surprise is that it took me this long to seriously injure myself. I haven't kept a tally of the number of times I've filed a chain but it would have to be well into the 10's of thousands. Over that time I've had hundreds of nicks and scratches, but never a serious cut. Gloves will be mandatory for hand sharpening for me from now on.

Shaun

I've been there too Shaun. Took six stitches on the bird finger knuckle, lost at sliver of cartilage to boot.
A week after I pulled the stitches, I got a cut that connected the ends of the first cut. The hell of it is, I was wearing gloves, but they were White Ox with canvas backs. I went to all leather for filing after that.
I also took to sharpening the bits close to the body of the saw, when the filed skipped over, I only banged knuckles on alloy or risked impalement on the spikes. Chain cuts are wicked.

It seems like the Pferd brand/type of sharpener affords a little bit more of a sheild than a round file alone.

Nasty bit of fortune. I hope you'll be allright.

I think that Baileys used to sell a 'safety' (safe-tee?) file handle to protect your hand somewhat. Never tried it. Don't know if it was clumsy to use, etc.

I think that in one thread someone suggested placing a large plastic or leather washer at the end of the file handle to act as a gauntlet, and protect your file holding hand in case it slips.

Philbert

OUCH! I usually get my hands a couple times a year... rolling the chain while taking down rakers. if you got a big chisel chain it can really take a chunk out! LOL:dizzy:

I've had a few that were a little more than 1/8" deep but nothing requiring stitches. I usually wear mechanix gloves when sharpening. I use one hand most of the time on the file.

Not been cut while sharpening but I had a log roll out from under me and got a 4" gash on the back of my biceps from a non running saw with a sharp chain .
Didn't that ever bleed all over the place .

had a relatively easy work day today, moved some removals to next week and did a light trim on a liquid ambar and a jacaranda. Felt like things were going pretty well but found that by lunch the superglue had let go. Maybe should have gone with some JB weld and duct tape :-(

I think I'll be sticking with a regular file handle with the kevlar welding gloves. Good quality gloves last for years if you use them for filing only, and still give you a lot of feel.

Shaun

Great combination: the Pferd system with Kevlar gloves. Good idea !

The local butchers that do game here in Maine ( deer, moose, bear ) use what they call "butcher's gloves" for doing meat. Thin enough to feel the tools with the protection from Kevlar.

Hi All,
Just thought I would post this up. I often end up getting little nicks/scratches when hand sharpening. I try to wear gloves when I'm doing a bunch of saws - I wear kevlar blue welding gloves - but when doing a quick touch up I often don't bother. The gloves are great. You don't lose much feel and you can freely grab the chain and not be at risk of a cut. The way I sharpen is to fasten the whole saw in a vice. I have 30 degree marks on the bench so I can get a consistent angle. I use both hands on the file - one at the front and one at the back.

How I end up nicking myself is that sometimes the tooth has become shallow... the file isnt deep enough in the gullet. If have time, I'll file the gullet out deeper but if I'm in a hurry I just give it a few licks. The file ends up skidding off the top of the tooth and you nick yourself on the cutter, or sometimes on the dogs.

Couple of days ago I was filing up a bunch of saws and wasnt wearing gloves. I like to put quite a lot of 'push' into my file so I only do one stroke or two rather than 3 or 4. With 2 hands you can really put some lean on the file especially if the chain brake is engaged. The file skidded off the top of the cutter, and my right hand smashed into the cutter full force. The cutter sliced open the outside of my right index finger, a cut about an inch and a half long, pretty much to the bone. It needed stitches but my local medical centre didnt have a doctor on staff that late at night so they supeglued it back together. It will heal fine but leave a scar. I'll be wearing gloves from now on.

Shaun
I did the exact same thing cut the knucle on my right index finger to the tendon like to never got the bleeding to stop !It was five or six years ago and i still cant bend it all the way! I now were gloves when sharpening!

You guys must really be pushing the file!

I've been lucky I guess and have not cut myself sharpening chain other than a small nick.

I wear one glove......and it's on the hand that moves the chain.

No glove on the hand holding the file.

I find gloves makes the file harder to hold.

You will get bit eventually i assure you ! I glove the file hand not the one that move the chain.:smile2:

I've been nicked a few times but never anything serious. I use a shop towel that I keep in my sawbox to hold the bar and move the chain (mostly because the bar is hot most of the time when I'm filing) and bare hand the file. My hand filing is usually just a touch up on the job site. Any heavy sharpening is done in the shop with my bench grinder.

That is one of those ,"do as I say, not as I do,'' things. I strongly recommend to trainees to always ware gloves, only a fool does it with out a glove and risk injury. My self, I never use gloves, and have a few little scars to prove it. I seem to never have a file handle around either. A good file handle can help keep your hands out of harms way some, but yeah every one should ware gloves while sharpening a chain. I've tried.
Glad it wasn't any worse. imagineero

Worst chainsaw injuries I have had is with the saw not running and in a vise sharpening a chain. 12 stitches in my right hand bird finger one time and 4 stitches same place and finger another time about a month later. You would think I would learn.

Latest posts

Back