Input on STIHL Trouble Shooting Procedure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
OK, I need to preface this a little.

I work with a group of volunteers who do storm/disaster clean up. We have about 24 STIHL saws (021s, 250s, 260s, 460s, 660s). Key word here is ‘volunteers’ – many of them are less experienced, but they trade their time and energy to help, and to learn on our saws.

We have a lot of trouble with the ‘basic’ stuff; i.e. flooding, keeping filters clean, etc. So I started putting together a trouble shooting flow chart for some of the more advanced or skilled volunteers to be able to keep the saws running. Not trying to make them Gold Certified technicians, or do complex repairs in the field. Just to take care of the basic stuff, and then tag anything else to be sent to the dealer or looked at back in the shop.

So I badgered a couple of tolerant STIHL dealers, cornered the guys at the State Fair, put in some thoughts from my own experience, etc., and came up with the attached procedure. Starts with flooding, checks for blocked filters, spark, then fuel problems.

1. I would be interested in anyone’s genuine comments, ideas, insights, etc., about how to improve this for our use; and

2. I'm offering it for anyone else to use if they think it might be helpful.

I appreciate you guy's experience in this area. Thanks in advance.

Philbert

Great right up!!!

One thing I noticed is maybe make it more clear to people when they should be on half choke and when they should be on full choke. I know I run into a LOT of friends that seem to think the full choke is only for winter and the half choke is for summer (I don't know why they think that, but I have heard many people say that).

. . . I run into a LOT of friends that seem to think the full choke is only for winter and the half choke is for summer (I don't know why they think that, but I have heard many people say that).

Thanks Supercut.

I think that has to do with the half-choke being referred to as the warm start position and the full-choke as the cold start position. People assume that it has to do with the weather, rather than the engine temp.

I think that people also miss the subtlety of the fast idle setting - they don't get that it is turned off once you touch the trigger.

Philbert

Back