Inside the Husqvarna 543xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a 543xp today, haven't run it much yet but it could use some tuning. Has anyone come up with a clean and easy muffler mod other than just drilling a hole through the front of the can and the brace?

I lifted the lid and gutted mine. Stock exit keeps it clean looking.

Interesting to see this thread going again. After so much initial hype the 543s have gone pretty quiet. I've sold a fair number of these, mostly to older gentleman who want pro quality but light weight. But for the guy who wants a HOT limbing saw the 550 is SO worth the extra coin.

The price of the 543xp is the same as a 545, so it doesn't make a lot of sense, but there is a noticeable weight difference. Here they are side by side.

At least Redmax put a useable spike on the 543.

100_6130.JPG 100_6131.JPG

The price of the 543xp is the same as a 545, so it doesn't make a lot of sense, but there is a noticeable weight difference. Here they are side by side.

At least Redmax put a useable spike on the 543.

Not Redmax, but Zenoah.

Dawgs are just in the way on such small saws, and is a moot point.

Interesting to see this thread going again. After so much initial hype the 543s have gone pretty quiet. I've sold a fair number of these, mostly to older gentleman who want pro quality but light weight. But for the guy who wants a HOT limbing saw the 550 is SO worth the extra coin.

All "hype" I have seen on that model has been of the negative kind (or questions), based on it being a Zenoah product........

Yes, the old "small saws don't need spikes" controversy. I just threw that in for fun!

It no doubt is in certain respects, and I'm sure the model had been more exiting if Husky designed it themselves. ;)
I admit it's not your classic husky. It doesn't have the personality of a 550 or 562 but it also hasn't had the mechanical issues. It's a rock solid quality saw. Feels very Echo like to me. But it is overpriced.

Given the Zenoah history of expertise in two-stroke and Strato engineering, I expect the fundamentals is already in place within this chainsaw.
An evolutionary refinement can bring it up to the XP class, where it yet isn't at it's first iteration.

With an upgrade to include a carburetor with AutoTune, all the negative critics about the separate choke and stop levers will vanish.

A change from rubber vibration reducers to metal spring implementation might be required, however the spec sheet data doesn't imply the current model has any problems with it though.

The formfactor and power/weight parameters of the current 543XP(G) are best in class levels, so it's no wonder the model has had lots of initial interest. But it has still a bit to go, in order to meet all it's expectations.

- AutoTune as a starter...

I admit it's not your classic husky. It doesn't have the personality of a 550 or 562 but it also hasn't had the mechanical issues. It's a rock solid quality saw. Feels very Echo like to me. But it is overpriced.

So a few bad carbs have become "mechanical issues" now! :lol:

....as have people not trading the most basic info in the manual.....

So a few bad carbs have become "mechanical issues" now! :lol:

....as have people not trading the most basic info in the manual.....
Well what would you call it? It may be few. But few is not zero. I'm yet to hear of or see a 543 with any break downs. Not that I don't love the 550 and 562 I just love the 543 for different reasons that's all.

end of the day, performance and rock stable is very important.
Around where I live, the sale is like 1:200 compared to 550/2253, I know people here prefer a good 50cc runner, but it wasnt like that before. In its time they had a very good sale of 242, so the marked should be there.
I think its because the brilliant 550 ( AT, low vib, low weight, great balance) is the reason why 543 never really took off.

end of the day, performance and rock stable is very important.
Around where I live, the sale is like 1:200 compared to 550/2253, I know people here prefer a good 50cc runner, but it wasnt like that before. In its time they had a very good sale of 242, so the marked should be there.
I think its because the brilliant 550 ( AT, low vib, low weight, great balance) is the reason why 543 never really took off.

I have a 242XPG and like it for all the reasons others do. The 543XPG I've owned for something like 6 months now and I have close enough to 30 tanks through it.

Once you stop comparing it to the 242 and asking whether it should have the XP badge or not and do some work with it you realise it's just as good as a good stock 242XP.

I like most of the things about the saw and the minor things I'd prefer were different aren't enough to make me wish I could have bought a 242 instead of the 543. Plastic clutch cover? It's a lightweight limbing saw, so what. Separate choke and stop? So what. It's a nicely made, fast, light and well balanced saw and the handle heating is as good as on my 560XPG, even in the middle of a Finnish winter.

I'd buy one again tomorrow if I was back in the market for one, and they're a hell of a lot more expensive here than in the US too.

Pardon if I stepped on anyone's toes.
There is nothing wrong with the 543's, and it is well balanced too.
Approximately all landlords here are in the forest only for firewood, the forest is not big in size, actually quite perfect for a 543, it's just that most people here do not buy it.
For all I know it is a big seller everywhere else.

Pardon if I stepped on anyone's toes.
/snip.

Not at all! Just want to make sure there's a balanced story told about the 543. You know how this goes.... If the only people who ever post about this saw are those who decided for one reason or another not to buy it, it'll only ever be a 'what it should have been' story in years to come. It's a fine saw and it does what it's supposed to do very well indeed. I'd have no problem in slamming it or being critical if it wasn't up to scratch, but it's actually a fine little machine and I'd find it hard to knock it. If it came with Autotune and an alloy clutch cover, everyone would be raving about it. In truth, AT's brilliant tech but I have a pocket for a screwdriver, mechanical empathy and a pair of ears and I don't kick the crap out of a small saw, so neither are important enough for me to see it as a problem. Just airing my own experience and thoughts. Cheers! :)

Latest posts

Back