Inside the MS241C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pics as always.

You could use a little practice on your tool set-up though, your cuts look pretty rough eh?

At 14,000 RPM they will look smooth enough to shave in!

I still do not see the reckoning of buying a new wiz-bang saw and sending it out to be modified.

Then don't do it.
A guy has a right to spend his money improving the performance of his saw if he wants.
The factories always leave a little meat uncooked, next to the bone, Brad and the other "geniuses" just cook the rest of the meat the factory left behind.

The machining centers these saws are produced on just can't compare to a chinese lathe and a dremil eh?

I guess that is a correct statement, the proof is in the pudding.
I've seen these guys make some AMAZING differences in the way a saw performs.

Mike

Yes, it uses 3005 mount bars. It comes with 63PS3 chain. It should cut very will with that setup.

I use a small cutoff wheel to cut the slits in the muffler. I cut all of them at once. I then start with the rear most louver and bend them up with a Stihl tuning screwdriver. I then tweak them to my liking with a tiny pair of needle nose pliers. I finish off with a trip to the wire brush mounted on a bench grinder.

Niceee work Brad. I can't wait to pic one up. Should be able to order one this coming week. Somebody has go to do a stock vs stock comparission with the saw and say the 261c-m, 346xp, 550xp Etc. Then do the same with all them ported!
I did a detailed thread exactly like that on the 261 and 346 a couple years ago. The 346 came out on top, but only by a hair. For all intents an purposes, you couldn't tell a difference without a stopwatch. The 550 would come in 3rd in that race, as good as it is. They're all fantastic saws, and each has it's own stengths. That 261 cut more like a 70cc saw than a 50cc saw. It now lives in Australia.

I see no way this 241 can cut with a ported 261. But that's OK!!! It's a smaller saw. That does not take away from this saw for me. It's smaller and lighter. The lowpro chain may make up for some of that though. 63PS3 is great chain. I'm personally very excited to see Stihl selling a pro 40cc class saw. I judge a saw for what it is. I consider the tiny 150 one of the most impressive saws I've run, considering what it is. I can see this 241 winning over a lot of guys. I've not had it in the wood yet, but I have a hunch it's going to be a stellar performer.

Well, that really sucks. I'm very fortunate that all my pics have always been hosted elsewhere. All I've had to fix are my video links.

I hadn't uploaded them yet.......they were lost when my PC crashed.

You'll like the way that one runs......I've already got one for myself too.

Those "self threading" screws are thread forming and once they are tight, the seem to stay tight longer and without any locking agent than machine threads. I've haven't seen or heard of any problems with them.

Those "self threading" screws are thread forming and once they are tight, the seem to stay tight longer and without any locking agent than machine threads. I've haven't seen or heard of any problems with them.
There are plenty of problems with most versions of "self threading".

I appreciate the build quality that is evident on this saw. I admire like the looks of the air filter. While it is a little heavy for class, with it's M-Tronic, good A/V, nice power and other creature features, I think this is a very interesting saw for someone with a specific need or want for a true pro 40cc. I don't see myself needing one in the near future, but I really dig most of what this saw has going on.

They sure are busy under the hood though, aren't they?

Nice thread, Brad. You have, or at least had a Dolmar 420. How close or not do you find this 241 measuring up against one of those?

Just curious if you put the 241 on a postal scale while it was still dry. Even a topped-off, b&c included weight would be appreciated.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back