Inside the "Triple Nickel"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the typo, guys. I hit the L instead of the P for the Husky 357XP. You are all very forgiving for vintage fingers at the keyboard. I was torn between a Husky 357XP and a Stihl MS361 about seven years ago. I tossed a coin and bought the 361. Every Husky owner told me that I needed my head examined. Every Stihl owner said that I done right. The rumbles continue...

FWIW, my ported 353 wannabe smoked a stock MS361 last weekend. The Stihl had good mid-range torque but would not hold high RPMs in the cut. He said his chain wasn't real sharp though...I didn't get a good look at it. It had seen some pretty regular use in the past 6-7 years so it probably needs re-ringed. But I couldn't believe the difference of speed in the cut.

That 555 is a sweet looking saw!

Brad, Have you got a side view of the solder? Just thinking some folks might benefit from the extra viewpoint.
Been a long time (20+yrs) since I was in a machine shop but that increasingly common, stepped boring job is just pure sh##.
Any person worthy of the title "Lead man" or "Foreman" should have stopped those from ever even getting out of that dept. QC personnel should have at the least checked a few cylinders early in the batch a few points in mid run and some of the last ones.
From the looks of these back-tapered cuts (seems to match the angles of a boring bar insert)
I'd guess someone just tried to skip about 4~7 seconds machine time by not blending the wall to the chamber.
Yeah, yeah, you might have to run a different insert (and bar) to get the roof cut.
And as someone who has spun 30" diam x 1/2" wall, HRS, brake formed tubing with hand welded seams (arrgh. Still leaves me with a strong dislike for flux cored mig wire to this day...)
I DO appreciate the difference in insert geometries and cutting conditions.
Granted an 80deg insert is much tougher than a 60deg or 55 in those open port jugs
but taken on the whole, this crap can't be helping the squish turbulence and I can only see it making emissions issues targets harder to cope with when you average it over thousands of units.
Hot spots in the chamber, plus makes for iffy cleanup after machining and then iffy plating.

Sorry for a mini rant guys, It's just been bugging me to see those stepped bores.
In an age when you program a machine to carve a neckid female body, I just cant see any reason for excusing those sloppy cylinders.

A link to the female toro machining video, But it might be considered NSFW
So I'll break the url https://www.youtube * /watch?v=ytFQMEeq3Bk
Just put " .com " back in place of the astrix and remove an added space on each side of it
then you should be good to go.

P.S. Too bad the model has fakes!
and my spelling and grammatical errors are just further proof of why we need the inspectors stations.
I have no brilliant guesses about my half started sentences that morph into something else.

Kool thread Bradley!! l think you will really get that Nickel runnin! This is a saw that may hit the trading post one day and be worth keeping an eye on. l am with you on the 50/70cc combo and sorta see 60cc saws more suited to someone not infected with CAD who only has one saw. Mind you l have a 555 and a 6400 (both stock) and what really stops me from picking them up is that bloody strato gutted ms261 you made me. Today l cut two 20-25" gums and it was holding up to 14900 in the cut but usually above 13k. So its this saw that just kills 60cc stock saws for me but l am interested to see how this 555 turns out. :):popcorn::popcorn:

TAKE SPECIAL NOTE HERE! Squish is MUCH tighter right on the very end. Miss that, and you might have a head smacker if tightening the squish!
IMG_3920-L.jpg

Ouch. That's some bad QC right there.

Easy fix though. Gotta cut the chamber...

Sorry for the typo, guys. I hit the L instead of the P for the Husky 357XP. You are all very forgiving for vintage fingers at the keyboard. I was torn between a Husky 357XP and a Stihl MS361 about seven years ago. I tossed a coin and bought the 361. Every Husky owner told me that I needed my head examined. Every Stihl owner said that I done right. The rumbles continue...

I made the same choise, but 10 years ago, and never regretted it. :)

The 357xp was at a slight disadvantage, as it is only 56.5cc, but still weighted like a 60cc saw.....

Btw, use the edit button to fix simple misprints - usually there is no need to make a second post about it. ;)

Very interested to see how this turns out. Might need to get me one as an Xmas gift...haven't had a ported saw in years, but this one sounds interesting. Wish they'd sell us one with heated handles, though.
560xpg, or 2260WH in the US! ;)

It is a bit odd they don't make heated 555/545s, as the did with the 359/353 that they replaced....

Anyone know if the bar from my JD 66SV would work on this saw? Wish I was home to check.
should be K095 if you have access to an Oregon Bar Selector on your computer.

edit listing is D176 for the Deere, not sure of differences?

The Husky specs show the 555 about 1/2 pound lighter than the 562, otherwise, they look pretty close. Anybody know what's in that 1/2 pound?

Thanks.

Philbert
Crank stuffers...Small mount bar may have less meat to it?

Latest posts

Back