Intake Question Stihl 038 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delano1981

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I just finished rebuilding a Stihl 038 Magnum and I have a question about a part that shows in the parts list but is missing on my saw. I have attached the pages from the 038 IPL showing part number 4 called baffle. My saw is missing this part. I was wondering if it is supposed be there on my saw, or is it not necessary. Another reason I am asking is that the choke flap in the after market air filter I used does not make enough contact with the control switch to activate for cold starting. It took me a little while to figure out the choke was inside the filter after pulling and pulling with no start. I finally just took the filter off and plugged the carb with my thumb. It started in two pulls doing this. Anyways, I'm wondering if the baffle is needed to move the filter closer to the switch shaft for better contact.

Thanks

Attachments

• Stihl 038 Parts.jpg
    Stihl 038 Parts.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Stihl 038 Parts 2.jpg
    Stihl 038 Parts 2.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20170715_121418.jpg
    20170715_121418.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 27
Mine don't have it either. Sawdust likes to get in between carb and filter, I am going to make my own gasket to go between filter and carb I reckon.

UPDATE:

I got the baffle from Northwood Saw and installed it today. It fixed the problem I was having with the choke flap not closing when the control switch is in the choke position. So, at least on my 038 Magnum, the baffle is a necessary part for proper function.

How thick is the"baffle" is it actually a fancy gasket or does it have molded shape to it.
I have no baffle or gasket, filter just screwed to posts. Choke works fine it seems.
Just wondering

Latest posts

Back