Interesting MS460 problem; see if you can guess what it was

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madhatte

It's The Water
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
One of the work fleet crapped out a couple weeks ago while we were doing storm cleanup, and I didn't get around to fixing it until today. All I knew from my co-worker was "It didn't wanna stay running so I grabbed another".

So, symptom elaboration time.

Popped on three pulls. Flipped the switch up, and it started on the next pull. Ran about 20 seconds then slowed down about 500 rpm, then quit. Wouldn't start again. Inspection showed wet fuel around the exhaust port, and a wet plug. Fuel was 92 octane mixed 50/50 with Stihl HP Ultra. Saw has maybe 500 hours on it. Pulled exhaust cover; horizontal machine marks on piston are clean and sharp, and rings are fine. Carb smells of fuel. Spark tested good: fat blue spark. Saw was running until it wasn't.

I'll give you guys 'til I get home from work and I'll post the solution.

I will try one that has not been mentioned yet. The High adjustment vibrated loose.

A guy brought over to me a Huskie 281 to replace a recoil on and adjust it and both the low and high screws were out all the way like that:confused2:

Very strange very strange but it must happen, owner said he did not adjust anything so they must have worked out.

For the 460 I say it stayed choked hence it flooding even though you flipped it off.

The two details that are the best clues are the "cleaning up storm damage" and "ran until it didn't". Turns out, a branch snaked into the space between the engine and the tank-handle and pulled the impulse line off the nipple. I never would have guessed that one until I found it, so that's why I put it up here.

Back