Interesting wood bug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boda65

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I found this caterpillar while splitting wood this morning.I find it amazing how this critter can bore into solid hardwood. I'm not sure what the wood is, it smells like oak but doesn't look much like it. It was not rotten at all, very solid except the tunnels this guy was making.
woodcaterpillar.jpg

I don't know if he would live when thawed, but I fed him to the chickens just to be sure. The hens found him quite tasty. :)

Found the same thing

I found the same thing in a big elm I cut up, it was full of them. They went in the stove with the Elm, I never thought about feeding them to the chickens....

I'd say it's a carpenter worm. Turns into a big moth if the chickens don't eat it first. Somewhat common, somewhat damaging, not a big threat in most parts.

I had many of those in a maple recently,kept the boys and their tanka busy transporting to their mass burial ground. others did seem to lubricate splitter beam well. as many as there were, hope I got a pile to go back to.

I found the same thing in a big elm I cut up, it was full of them. They went in the stove with the Elm, I never thought about feeding them to the chickens....

+1
That is the only place I have found them too. Dead standing elm. Never found them in live trees.

I think some are larva of Betsy Beetles

http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/bimg138.html

When I was splitting some wood a couple weeks ago that had been on the ground for over a year, the rounds were full of large larva, some of which were three inches long. I contemplated saving them in the freezer for fish bait, but I figured I could "cultivate" many more.

The link says their larva are only 1 1/2 in. long so I might have something else, but the grubs and adults were found in the same pieces of wood.

Latest posts

Back