Introducing Brand New Wood Furnace to Market - The Drolet Tundra!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there gaskets on both drawers? What seals the drawer with the hole from the plenum area?

Just got mine today, looks like it should work. Where did yours leak air, from the damaged part. Did it still leak after you put the plug in?

I guess I'm missing something here. So what's the issue with blower air (pressure) leaking into the firebox? If the chimney is drafting properly, smoke can't go out around the plug. As long as the ash drawer is now sealed from the circulating house air...that was the original issue, correct?
Is this ash plug not he same setup as the Caddy?

No, the Caddy has a cast iron grate with a 1/4" steel plate over it. That's unless they changed design, but I don't think so. It's about the size of a firebrick.

I guess I'm missing something here. So what's the issue with blower air (pressure) leaking into the firebox? If the chimney is drafting properly, smoke can't go out around the plug. As long as the ash drawer is now sealed from the circulating house air...that was the original issue, correct?
Is this ash plug not he same setup as the Caddy?

To me this would pose to problems. 1.Could cause an overfire with air being forced into the fire box. 2. If air is leaking in there then it is assumable that ash in the drawer could let co in the supply air. To much of a potential risk for me. I would want my money back and buy a safer proven unit, epa or not.

Flotek, I didn't touch the plug. I simply humored the thermostat to force the fan on and placed a few shovel scoops of fine ashes over the plug. The ashes were constantly blown around from the plug area. I guess I can post a YouTube video later tonight.

I've seen the same thing and have a video of it as well. I haven't received the "fix" yet but from the looks of it it's not going to do anything at all because there is no seal around the area where the plug goes.

More epic SBI engineering at work it seems. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take mine furnace back and get a vapor fire or a boiler.

In the manual it said on page 34, 5.3 smoke pipe connector should be inspected and reassembled. is this the pipe that connects between the stove and the chimney? Also how do you remove the baffle? Do you have to remove the secondary tubes? Want to clean mine but need help. I know how the baffle slids fowards but how to remove it to clean on top of it. Any help thanks in advance.

In the manual it said on page 34, 5.3 smoke pipe connector should be inspected and reassembled. is this the pipe that connects between the stove and the chimney? Also how do you remove the baffle? Do you have to remove the secondary tubes? Want to clean mine but need help. I know how the baffle slids fowards but how to remove it to clean on top of it. Any help thanks in advance.

You have to remove your secondary burn tubes to remove the baffle. Mine were warped so bad that they wouldn't come out. I've asked for someone else to try removing theirs to see if they are warped as well but nobody has responded to that request yet.

Try to remove your secondary burn tubes. They should twist and easily slide out. If they twist but don't slide, they are warped like mine are.

Cloudit, do you know what the smoke pipe is located? I will take the tubes out.

I think they mean the chimney pipe that connects to the back of the furnace. When you clean out your heat exchanger, you can slide the baffle forward and push the creosote to the back and down into the firebox. However, you can't do that with the middle pipe as it runs to the chimney.

I've disconnected mine and cleaned out a ton of creosote twice so far this year already. I've discovered that if you fill the firebox with the damper closed it will create a ton of creosote. I've since started letting the fire go out and it get cold in the house before building a new fire.

I really wanted this furnace to be great but it's just turned into nothing but a PITA. I didn't burn much wood at all this year but the cons just aren't worth it when there are other solutions that are even more efficient but have none of the negatives. Some people might not mind dealing with all the constant issues but they are not common.

Cloud it, I cleaned mine out and got very little out of all 3 pipes. After pushing it into the foirebox I took the shop vac to it. Also couldnt glet to my secondary burn pipes the box was still to hot but I did reach in and grab them, they did turn some. Speaking of the smoke pipe it must be the one that we install from the furnace to the chimney cause the pipe on the back ofthe furnace is solid. Right.

If your burning good seasoned wood and it's drafting correctly your not going to accumulate creosote ..it's the same design as a caddy is. Not a design issue . Caddy s Have been out for better part of 7 years ..I have no idea why people would use the drawer anyways it's faster and easier to just scoop it out with a shovel my plug seats down fine even without a fix kit. .its heavy steal it's not going anywhere ..There's no chance that I could imagine of overfire unless the plug is pulled out and laying on the firebox floor lol I'd almost say you'd think the furnace is a piece of crap the way you guys talk I checked mine just now no issues and I know it's sealed in the drawer because I never use and there is no evidence of ashes falling down into after months my carbon tester over the registers senses no issue . One thing I have noticed is It's a great feeling to come home after 10 +hours away to a comfy warm house and the blower still on and a box full of heavy coals when it's 14 outside And everyone else is complaining about propane and fuel oil being 5$ a gallon .. The drolet has paid for itself in no time and I don't have any regrets I think some people think it should walk your dog and make you coffee too I guess . Is there better options maybe .. But not anywhere near that price .. You must realize the unit is 1799 not 5,000$ like kumma vapor ..you can't buy a cavalier gt and expect it to run and handle like a corvette .go ahead and sell the farm to buy a vapor fire ..more power to you , for me i work hard for my money and I want my dollar to stretch so I'll keep that 3,200$ extra I saved for all brand new vinyl windows installed in my house to further my comforts even more

You have to remove your secondary burn tubes to remove the baffle. Mine were warped so bad that they wouldn't come out. I've asked for someone else to try removing theirs to see if they are warped as well but nobody has responded to that request yet.

Try to remove your secondary burn tubes. They should twist and easily slide out. If they twist but don't slide, they are warped like mine are.
i will be trying this soon as my baffle cracked and i have a new one.

can anyone post the instructions or pic of the instructions for the ash pan fix. I must have missed place mine. only thing i am questioning is the gasket and mettle o-ring for the ash plug.

If your burning good seasoned wood and it's drafting correctly your not going to accumulate creosote ..it's the same design as a caddy is. Not a design issue . Caddy s Have been out for better part of 7 years ..I have no idea why people would use the drawer anyways it's faster and easier to just scoop it out with a shovel my plug seats down fine even without a fix kit. .its heavy steal it's not going anywhere ..There's no chance that I could imagine of overfire unless the plug is pulled out and laying on the firebox floor lol I'd almost say you'd think the furnace is a piece of crap the way you guys talk I checked mine just now no issues and I know it's sealed in the drawer because I never use and there is no evidence of ashes falling down into after months my carbon tester over the registers senses no issue . One thing I have noticed is It's a great feeling to come home after 10 +hours away to a comfy warm house and the blower still on and a box full of heavy coals when it's 14 outside And everyone else is complaining about propane and fuel oil being 5$ a gallon .. The drolet has paid for itself in no time and I don't have any regrets I think some people think it should walk your dog and make you coffee too I guess . Is there better options maybe .. But not anywhere near that price .. You must realize the unit is 1799 not 5,000$ like kumma vapor ..you can't buy a cavalier gt and expect it to run and handle like a corvette .go ahead and sell the farm to buy a vapor fire ..more power to you , for me i work hard for my money and I want my dollar to stretch so I'll keep that 3,200$ extra I saved for all brand new vinyl windows installed in my house to further my comforts even more

carbon tester? if your referencing that you dont have a c/o detection issue then you are correct. the c/o would come from ashes in your pan which you dont use. and yes...$3200 is not worth a better ash pan.

Your not supposed to remove the tubes when cleaning. Reach in, pull the baffle forward and push anything that's accumulated to the rear of the left and right sides of the heat exchanger and into the firebox, otherwise remove from the front if you don't want to fool with the baffle.

As far as creosote is concerned, if you load the furnace shut the door and walk away your not burning it correctly. You might get away loading on a hot coal bed, but usually you load the furnace, open the damper for 20-30 minutes depending on the load size and wood then set the thermostat. If the heating demand isn't high, then don't load full loads. Any stove or furnace either EPA or non, if you load the firebox and walk away you'll produce creosote. If you want the luxury of load and go, buy a computerized draft controller called the smartstove (I'm considering it at 300.00), or buy a Kuuma.

If your not happy, then get rid of the furnace plain and simple. If you feel your life and family are in danger then don't use it. I have 3 children and if for a single second I felt my children or family was in danger, I wouldn't touch the thing.

Latest posts

Back