Introducing Brand New Wood Furnace to Market - The Drolet Tundra!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes I understand that, but no where does it say which nut to hook up the red or white wire to. The nuts aren't labeled so does it matter which wire goes to which one?

It shouldn't matter which one as long as they are hooked up.

what are you guys hitting for vent temps? Mine was at 147 on factory speed I turned it up and now I'm at 110, my heat run was so hot when it was on the lower speed, worried it would catch something on fire. Maybe it would be fine?

147 seems a little high. Mine is usually in the 90's.
I've been watching it for awhile now and it seems to be hovering around 105 to 110. I could increase the blower speed to drop it more. I'll see what happens in the next hour or so before I play with it again.

what are you guys hitting for vent temps? Mine was at 147 on factory speed I turned it up and now I'm at 110, my heat run was so hot when it was on the lower speed, worried it would catch something on fire. Maybe it would be fine?
125-130

115 -120

so I've been watching it for a few hours now it goes up to 125ish and back dow to around 95

So I just wanted to post an update on what I think of the furnace so far. Last night was very cold here around 20 below and it kept my house comfortable for most of the night. I keep the thermostat at 68. I filled it at 1am and when I woke at 7:30am it was still 66 in the house. Tons of coals left in it. I raked them around before I left and it kept the house at 66 until about 12:30 when my wife decided to put more wood on. I'm pretty impressed with it so far. I'm getting the 10-12 hours burn time, but the house does drop a few degrees by then which is understandable. I haven't used a drop of LP in the last day so I'm happy with that.

Wood heat is so much warmer than LP. It is 18 below right now and usually on a night like tonight I would have two blankets on and still be chilly. I actually don't even have one blanket on because I'm so warm. The heat is set at 68, but I might actually turn it lower. I have been burning some big pieces of white ash lately and they seem to do good in the tundra.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140303_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140303_0001.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 22
Many times in the last month I've come home after 11 hours to a warm house that maintained 71 over the whole day despite it never getting out of the teens . A fully loaded box of the good dry. stuff will last and last if your setup is right

Well, I haven't done any duct work or thermostat hook-up yet but it's doing a great job of heating the house anyway. I'm terrible at getting distracted mid-task and was having to wait around for the fresh load of wood to char before turning off the draft override. I'd forgotten it once and wasted a load of wood, and then the next day ... put the dog out, remembered the furnace ... forgot to bring the dog back in. Oops... this isn't working.

The solution ... an adjustable 1-30 min "hot tub timer" on the draft control. You just hook it up to the thermostat connections at the back. Doesn't matter if you have a thermostat hooked up or not.

Now, I just turn the timer to 10 min when I start loading the wood. When It's full of wood I close the door and turn it back to 5 min and walk away. Secondarys get good and hot, and I can't forget. Handy in the morning when leaving for work too. Works great!

Can you post a picture or a link to the hot tub timer because that seems like a great idea

Can someone post some pics on how much wood they load in their tundra? I'm not sure but I think I'm not putting eenough in mine.

Well, I haven't done any duct work or thermostat hook-up yet but it's doing a great job of heating the house anyway. I'm terrible at getting distracted mid-task and was having to wait around for the fresh load of wood to char before turning off the draft override. I'd forgotten it once and wasted a load of wood, and then the next day ... put the dog out, remembered the furnace ... forgot to bring the dog back in. Oops... this isn't working.

The solution ... an adjustable 1-30 min "hot tub timer" on the draft control. You just hook it up to the thermostat connections at the back. Doesn't matter if you have a thermostat hooked up or not.

Now, I just turn the timer to 10 min when I start loading the wood. When It's full of wood I close the door and turn it back to 5 min and walk away. Secondarys get good and hot, and I can't forget. Handy in the morning when leaving for work too. Works great!
how does it not matter if you have a t-stat hooked up. I dont see how the 2 could work together. If they can i would be interested to adding the timer to my setup which is using a t-stat.

Can someone post some pics on how much wood they load in their tundra? I'm not sure but I think I'm not putting eenough in mine.
I fill mine to the very top about an inch from the burn tubes. First I get a nice bed of coals with some oak slab wood. I've tried split and whole logs and honestly for me the whole logs last longer.

The timer is just a set of contacts that are closed when wound, and open after a set amount of time. The thermostat is just a set of contacts that close when it calls for heat, and open the rest of the time. The override switch is just a set of contacts that are closed by your finger when adding wood, and opened by your finger when you're done.

All three are wired in parallel and any of them closed, will open the draft. You could have 50 sets of contacts if you wanted to and if any 1 of those 50 contacts closed, the draft would open. Page 58 of the manual shows the wiring diagram.

Stupid statement ... but everyone has read the manual and knows the firebox needs to be heated back up after loading or the secondary combustion doesn't work right? If you shut down the draft override, and you don't have flames above the fire, you need more time with the draft open or it's just going to smoke like crazy.

For the reason stated above, I run full (I mean full!) loads of wood and try to complete a full burn cycle (6 hrs+) before adding more wood. Secondaries will stop holding flames as the wood burns down as most of the gasses have been driven off and burned by then. As stated before, I am burning dry, but low quality ash and elm.

The timer is just a set of contacts that are closed when wound, and open after a set amount of time. The thermostat is just a set of contacts that close when it calls for heat, and open the rest of the time. The override switch is just a set of contacts that are closed by your finger when adding wood, and opened by your finger when you're done.

All three are wired in parallel and any of them closed, will open the draft. You could have 50 sets of contacts if you wanted to and if any 1 of those 50 contacts closed, the draft would open. Page 58 of the manual shows the wiring diagram.

Stupid statement ... but everyone has read the manual and knows the firebox needs to be heated back up after loading or the secondary combustion doesn't work right? If you shut down the draft override, and you don't have flames above the fire, you need more time with the draft open or it's just going to smoke like crazy.

For the reason stated above, I run full (I mean full!) loads of wood and try to complete a full burn cycle (6 hrs+) before adding more wood. Secondaries will stop holding flames as the wood burns down as most of the gasses have been driven off and burned by then. As stated before, I am burning dry, but low quality ash and elm.
I did not even look at the wiring diagram. I guess i just assumed that the draft would be closed when open due to the safety feature of a power outage. Loose power the contact would be "open" therefor close the draft so your firebox would not overheat. They must use a different method for this?

Latest posts

Back