Introducing Brand New Wood Furnace to Market - The Drolet Tundra!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watch necking down the sizes .. You get back pressure and the unit can't dissipate the heat and as a result could run hotter than normal and besides you'll get less heat

Wut size duct is best 8 inch round or square style the farthest register is only gunna be 15-20 feet closest is bout 5 feet will that be a problem does the air return feature a must or no big diffrence either way

Why is it when u buy the filter kit it comes with 2 caps and only 1 filter

I'm running dual 6" with my setup. I just upped the fan speed and it seems fine.

I have about 24" of 8" connected to the stove. My back draft dampers are at the top of the 8" ducts, then converts to 6" for about 4' where both ducts dump into my main furnace ducts.

[QUOTE="trx250r87, post: 5002649, member: 913dI have about 24" of 8" connected to the stove. My back draft dampers are at the top of the 8" ducts, then converts to 6" for about 4' where both ducts dump into my main furnace ducts.[/QUOTE]
The only thing with me is i guta run all the duct work and 6 inch i wouldnt bang my head of in my basment after i give it a 1 ish of clerence but 8 inch i probly would disadvantages of being tall

[QUOTE="trx250r87, post: 5002649, member: 913dI have about 24" of 8" connected to the stove. My back draft dampers are at the top of the 8" ducts, then converts to 6" for about 4' where both ducts dump into my main furnace ducts.
The only thing with me is i guta run all the duct work and 6 inch i wouldnt bang my head of in my basment after i give it a 1 ish of clerence but 8 inch i probly would disadvantages of being tall[/QUOTE]
you'd be better off running the two 8" rounds into a square main trunk, run the main trunk the length of the house and then run the 6" duct off the main trunk. The main trunk should be 8"x14" to handle the air flow from the two 8" rounds coming off the furnace.

The only thing with me is i guta run all the duct work and 6 inch i wouldnt bang my head of in my basment after i give it a 1 ish of clerence but 8 inch i probly would disadvantages of being tall
you'd be better off running the two 8" rounds into a square main trunk, run the main trunk the length of the house and then run the 6" duct off the main trunk. The main trunk should be 8"x14" to handle the air flow from the two 8" rounds coming off the furnace.[/QUOTE]
I dont have a very big house ranch style 1400 square feet with 400 being a breezeway how many registers should i have

you'd be better off running the two 8" rounds into a square main trunk, run the main trunk the length of the house and then run the 6" duct off the main trunk. The main trunk should be 8"x14" to handle the air flow from the two 8" rounds coming off the furnace.
I dont have a very big house ranch style 1400 square feet with 400 being a breezeway how many registers should i have[/QUOTE]
one register per room usually. What are the sizes of the rooms?

[QaverageWisneaky, post: 5002745, member: 120868"]I dont have a very big house ranch style 1400 square feet with 400 being a breezeway how many registers should i have[/QUOTE]
one register per room usually. What are the sizes of the rooms?[/QUOTE]
3 average sized bed rooms and open living dining kitchen area i was thinking just couple big ones on each end of house

[QaverageWisneaky, post: 5002745, member: 120868"]I dont have a very big house ranch style 1400 square feet with 400 being a breezeway how many registers should i have
one register per room usually. What are the sizes of the rooms?[/QUOTE]
3 average sized bed rooms and open living dining kitchen area i was thinking just couple big ones on each end of house[/QUOTE]
Is this a new house with no duct work or did you have forced air heat prior?

[QUOTE="Wisneaky, post: 5002794,
Is this a new house with no duct work or did you have forced air heat prior?[/QUOTE]
It has a old oil boiler no duct work just adding the furnace instead of a old style woodstove figured the heatmax was a better choice

Can i use 6 inch duct work on my drolet heatmax just got today also one run of duct is goining to be close to regester is that fine new to doin this duct work
I'd stick with 8". (2) 6" pipes gives almost 1/2 the airflow that 8" does. 54 sq inches vs 96 respectively. Go with square if you need the head room

If you only ran two lines of duct I'd be worried about the bedrooms being cold without the proper air flow. If you have the money you'd be much better off having a HVAC company come in and run the duct work properly. If you use the cold air return I've noticed more heat from the furnace because it isn't trying to heat the real cold air from my basement and is recycling the air from from the rooms up stairs, either way it heats good though. If it was me and my house I would for sure run separate duct to each room. Probably 6" duct to each bedroom and the open area kitchen, dining, living room I'd do 8" duct if you only want to do one duct or I'd run two or three 6" in that area. My house is small also about 1100 square feet and I have 7 register vents in it, One in each of the 3 bedrooms, 1 in each of the two bathrooms, 1 that heats the living room kitchen area, and 1 on that back porch.

How does the cold air return take air from upstairs wut u think a hvac company would cost eventually id like to have more registers i was just guna start out w the 2 and ussally leave bedroom doors open so theyd get heat

How does the cold air return take air from upstairs wut u think a hvac company would cost eventually id like to have more registers i was just guna start out w the 2 and ussally leave bedroom doors open so theyd get heat
cold air return actually draws air from upstairs back into the furnace and reheats it. It would be more duct work to run that though. HVAC probably charge $800 or more to run duct work. I was quoted $800 for mine and $1200 by another company. Instead I did it myself for about 1/2 the price.

Depending on how your house is framed, returns are often times just boxed in joist bays. Buy a roll of 16" wide sheet metal and nails, wham bam...
Shouldn't add too much to the overall cost

Latest posts

Back