Introducing Brand New Wood Furnace to Market - The Drolet Tundra!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Price obviously matters as you told kuuma you wish they could make there product cheaper. But regardless of price, no unit should be sold that could cause harm when operating it properly. One would think with the umpteen million regulations in the US that these units would of received some sort of safety testing before being aloud for mass sales.

I emailed sbi concerning all this but they never responded back . We shall see ....

Have any owners of the Tundra/Heat Max installed the furnace without using a thermostat? If so, what are your methods of burning? Seeing that the damper is either fully open or filly closed, it has been a challenge to keep my fan running for more than 15 minutes at a time and don't seem to get as much heat throughout the house as I would like. Is the secret to heat larger loads of wood? I usually don't fill the firebox past half way, which is about 3-4 medium sized pieces.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

I haven't hooked mine up yet but someone one here should be able to help both of us TRX. Does the thermostate keep the draft door open partially or does it just open it and close it?

Have any owners of the Tundra/Heat Max installed the furnace without using a thermostat? If so, what are your methods of burning? Seeing that the damper is either fully open or filly closed, it has been a challenge to keep my fan running for more than 15 minutes at a time and don't seem to get as much heat throughout the house as I would like. Is the secret to heat larger loads of wood? I usually don't fill the firebox past half way, which is about 3-4 medium sized pieces.

I have and it sucks. I would have to wait about 30 to 40 before closing it down and constantly monitor it. The therm helped a lot. And yes I throw in as much as possible.

J
I haven't hooked mine up yet but someone one here should be able to help both of us TRX. Does the thermostate keep the draft door open partially or does it just open it and close it?
just open and close

Get a thermostat. It's one of the best features of the furnace. I have a NEST controlling both it and my heat pump. I can use my phone to open and close it like a remote.

How far from the furnace is your thermostat djkost? What if you have to gain 5 degrees and the furnace is at full throttle for an extended period of time? What does it take for these to overheat?

I think I will install the thermostats about 20 ft or so fromm the furnace. It will be 55 inches off the floor. Don't sure what it takes tto overheat it. I do know I have thermometers for my stack and attach one to the front of my stove on my furnace I'm replacing and will have them on this one also.

Get a thermostat. It's one of the best features of the furnace. I have a NEST controlling both it and my heat pump. I can use my phone to open and close it like a remote.
I'm torn between the ecobee and nest but my next thermostat will definitely be a smart one. I love the phone and tablet options!!

You can currently control the blower but not the computer. yet;)

When burning wood it really needs to be set-up correctly to prevent over firing or you're going to end up with a lot of creosote. It will be interesting to see what happen this year if and when the EPA regulations for wood furnaces begin. After already going through strict testing, I guarantee many of these companies won't pass with there current designs and will be put out of business.

Last edited:
when i talked to them they told me they are open but the engineering and related departments are off until next week. they had almost 2 weeks off for the holiday and basicly shut down the part of the company that would have a serious responce to this. i guess they will walk in to a mess on monday.

Must be nice... My dad was even at the shop on Christmas. Just got the following e-mail yesterday.

Daryl,
The stove is working really well. I moved the damper to the vertical pipe and stack every other row of wood ( in the firebox) offset to make up for the shorter length and burn time is really good. The stove enters the idle mode now and stays there for quite a while.
In your manual at the bottom of page 9 there is a box that says caution follow the manufacturers instructions which I assumed to be Field Controls instructions which show the horizontal placement as acceptable for a wood burner and that is where we should have followed your manufacturer instructions instead.
Since moving the damper and loading the wood offset our house has stayed a consistent 69 degrees running on the low setting with the thermostat set on low which is perfect for us. Thanks for your help in getting it dialed in and if you ever need a reference let me know and I will be happy to provide one.
Thanks again!

What???? You knew about this since September and you said nothing?? Asking you to keep quiet about this amounts to a corporate cover up. How in your right mind do you think it is ok not to warn other people of this potentially deadly safety hazard. When i realized what was going on it took me less then an hour to get on this forum and spread the word. I thought that is what sites like this was for. I asked you what this issues were with this furnace directly on the forum and in a pm and you ignored them. instead you sat back and did nothing in hopes of special treatment of a new furnace. if you ask me your just as bad as SBI in this case. coming to this forum and still posting and watching others purchase this furnace and subject there family to CO poisoning is mind blowing and you should be ashamed of yourself.

The EPA is who really should be embarrassed!! Considering that there is NO EPA certification for furnaces in the US and I have pointed this out to them on multiple occasions and to which they have agreed. However, they still allow them to market the furnace as EPA certified all over the place without any repercussions.

I received an email from SCI about the furnace and this is the reply I got from them.

The furnace is certified and tested without having any problem. You should make sure to close properly the ash drawer when you use it because it can cause leak and that the reason why it is specified.

Thanks

SBI

Mine will be hooked up Saturday. It's going to be real cold here.

I got a similar response from them when I questioned their ash drawer design . It's not a bad unit .. but you better run it right and I'd swap the snap switch for an adjustable fan switch .They need to at least correct the literature and let people know not to use the ash drawer unless you plan to immediately dump it after wards. ! Dollar for dollar its a great deal IMHO I may have bought a caddy though seeing how our local dealer sells em so cheap at 2600 with the blower

Last edited:
I received an email from SCI about the furnace and this is the reply I got from them.

The furnace is certified and tested without having any problem. You should make sure to close properly the ash drawer when you use it because it can cause leak and that the reason why it is specified.

Thanks

SBI

Mine will be hooked up Saturday. It's going to be real cold here.

when did you guys send them the email? what email address did you use and was the rep identified in the email? I am wondering if this is just a customer service rep responding to you. I have gotten similar emails about something unrelated along time ago. something that seemed generic. I called and talked to one of the tech's early in the week that told me he was the only tech on until next week. The R&D and engineering department was not in until next week. Customer service was on a limited staff but in. So there should be no one there that could really have commented on the issue with any knowledge. Email you want to be using would be [email protected] . It would prob help move things along if everyone with the issue sent an email to them with pictures to that address. maybe it would draw more attention .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back