Introducing Brand New Wood Furnace to Market - The Drolet Tundra!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much wood have you all used so far this year in your Tundra / Heatmax? I started burning early October and I'm at about 1 3/4 cord used. We have about 3 more months of heating here in Wisconsin so I figure I'll be at 3-3 1/2 cord by that time. I predicted I'd use 2 1/2, but it's been a pretty cold winter and I also had issues with that broken baffle that really made me eat through the wood.

Wow that is hot for a tundra. I've never seen more then 350 with the inferred gun. My normal temps are 325 damper open and 175-215 damper closed. I tried to clean the chimney today and there was noting to clean. What wood are u burning? Do you know the MC of it? Also are u on the lowest fan setting or something?

probe temp

Wood is the 18-22

more detailed post on page 54

How much wood have you all used so far this year in your Tundra / Heatmax? I started burning early October and I'm at about 1 3/4 cord used. We have about 3 more months of heating here in Wisconsin so I figure I'll be at 3-3 1/2 cord by that time. I predicted I'd use 2 1/2, but it's been a pretty cold winter and I also had issues with that broken baffle that really made me eat through the wood.

so far 1.5 to just under 2. so same as you.we have two weeks where the temperature was around 40 I'm going to drop back down to 10 degrees. having extreme temperature change in a short period time really shows the contrast of the amount of wood that's used when its cold or warm.where we are just warming up after February so I don't expect to use as much and even less in April

Ok so I spoke too soon? I came home today and had half of the firebox full of coals. I should have taken a picture. The damper was wide open and the house was 64. The draft readings at that time was .04-.05. After extending my chimney to 22 feet my draft has increased to .08 at the peek of the burn cycle. The static pressure is .23 and the fan speed is at medium low with the snap disk set at 110. Wood is dry and seasoned. This is the first time since extending the chimney that this has happened. It is also the first time that the temps dropped to -1 and windy. So I have heard that some with epa stoves were having excessive coals when it was cold out. Does anyone know why this is? I did load more wood in the middle of the burn cycle to prepare for me not being home. It was half full of hot charcoal chunks at the time. The temp in the house was 70 and the thermostat was set to 71, so the damper was set to shut probably 5 mins after loading. I know that this did not help the situation, but don't think it is the cause of so many coals and a cold house. Usually I have pulling enough heat from the coals to keep the house warm.

Ok so I spoke too soon? I came home today and had half of the firebox full of coals. I should have taken a picture. The damper was wide open and the house was 64. The draft readings at that time was .04-.05. After extending my chimney to 22 feet my draft has increased to .08 at the peek of the burn cycle. The static pressure is .23 and the fan speed is at medium low with the snap disk set at 110. Wood is dry and seasoned. This is the first time since extending the chimney that this has happened. It is also the first time that the temps dropped to -1 and windy. So I have heard that some with epa stoves were having excessive coals when it was cold out. Does anyone know why this is? I did load more wood in the middle of the burn cycle to prepare for me not being home. It was half full of hot charcoal chunks at the time. The temp in the house was 70 and the thermostat was set to 71, so the damper was set to shut probably 5 mins after loading. I know that this did not help the situation, but don't think it is the cause of so many coals and a cold house. Usually I have pulling enough heat from the coals to keep the house warm.
It was more than likely from loading mid burn cycle. Mine will do the same thing.

It's mostly from reloading too soon before the charge is complete and on top of that using your most dense cordwood like maple hickory oak that is known for it's coal ability . Heavy coals in the coldest part of winter is common on this unit. . Coals provide some heat but not enough to sustain your house when it's in the teens or below atleast in my case that's what I see . You just burn them off by adding lots of air ( I crack the door and raise my thermostat way up ) shovel out the ash and start over with a good fresh reload of wood

It's mostly from reloading too soon before the charge is complete and on top of that using your most dense cordwood like maple hickory oak that is known for it's coal ability . Heavy coals in the coldest part of winter is common on this unit. . Coals provide some heat but not enough to sustain your house when it's in the teens or below atleast in my case that's what I see . You just burn them off by adding lots of air ( I crack the door and raise my thermostat way up ) shovel out the ash and start over with a good fresh reload of wood

Makes more sense now. Temps with a coal bed was 350, same as yesterday. Temp in the house was fine yesterday. Today it's a lot colder. That with the air infiltration it was not producing enough heat. With a full load of wood the flue temperature is 700. The Higher the flue temperature the higher the register temperature.

With flue temps that high, I would bump up the blower speeds. Also, is the heat exchanger clean? Both things will increase heat output. Don't necessarily go off of duct temps.

With flue temps that high, I would bump up the blower speeds. Also, is the heat exchanger clean? Both things will increase heat output. Don't necessarily go off of duct temps.
That's low. I am quoting internal which should be. 500-800.

Just got the fan switch in I've been busy the past few days. I think the switch will be nice on warmer days to go back to the factory setting. If things get to hot I could always turn it all the way up with turn of the wrist. image.jpg

Not bad for 10 bucks. I spent a big on the nest and the video camera but I love controlling the stove from my phone at work. Put a magnetic temp gauge on the exchanger door and I've watched enough to know where the temps normally are. I can view it from the camera anytime. I love it even more now

Anyone have problems with the heat exchanger access door? I installed my furnace in Dec 2014 and have been running it every day since. Today I opened the heat exchanger access door and I had one heck of a time closing it. Seems to be warped and is binding. It took a lot of strength to push it closed so that I could fasten it with the wing nut. Will it warp back into place? I'm going to call Drolet on Monday but was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

Anyone have problems with the heat exchanger access door? I installed my furnace in Dec 2014 and have been running it every day since. Today I opened the heat exchanger access door and I had one heck of a time closing it. Seems to be warped and is binding. It took a lot of strength to push it closed so that I could fasten it with the wing nut. Will it warp back into place? I'm going to call Drolet on Monday but was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

I had same problem. Check the hinge pins. The pins may be warped

I had same problem. Check the hinge pins. The pins may be warped
no problems with my hinge, but I should say something to SBI because the hole in the door where the wing nut goes is cut unevenly and there is a gap around it when closed.

no problems with my hinge, but I should say something to SBI because the hole in the door where the wing nut goes is cut unevenly and there is a gap around it when closed.
Mine is same way. Should be a washer there that closes the gap. My door would not shut and had to replace the pins. See if SBI will send you a new door and pins do you covered either way.

Mine is same way. Should be a washer there that closes the gap. My door would not shut and had to replace the pins. See if SBI will send you a new door and pins do you covered either way.
Sorry I should have mentioned there is still a gap with the washer in place. The gap is on the outside of the washer. Surprised it doesn't leak smoke, even though I do smell some sometimes from it.

Latest posts

Back