Introducing the new Log Splitter Line from DHT (Dirty Hand Tools)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You asked,

Here's round one.

1- Is the unit rated to be towed over the road? Light kit available, or is it a DIY for states that
require registration?

2- Who manufactures the hydraulic components, (cylinder, valve, and pump) and what are
their rated working pressure(s)?

3- Are parts for rebuilding the hydraulics available at TSC or another easy to find outlet, or are they throwaways? Outside of the engine, how and through whom will warranty service be provided?

4- The return line filter is toast the first time the splitter gets towed into the woods or in my
case 75% of the landings I have to get into.

5- Why is the wedge and the backing plate only 8 inches? 10 or preferably 12 inch height is
far superior for breaking up large rounds especially keeping the foot plate under a big
round on uneven ground in the vertical.

6- What is the grade of steel used for the beam? (AISI or ASTM)

Won't publish my resume, you can check my profile.

Take Care

You asked,

Here's round one.

1- Is the unit rated to be towed over the road? Light kit available, or is it a DIY for states that
require registration?

2- Who manufactures the hydraulic components, (cylinder, valve, and pump) and what are
their rated working pressure(s)?

3- Are parts for rebuilding the hydraulics available at TSC or another easy to find outlet, or are they throwaways? Outside of the engine, how and through whom will warranty service be provided?

4- The return line filter is toast the first time the splitter gets towed into the woods or in my
case 75% of the landings I have to get into.

5- Why is the wedge and the backing plate only 8 inches? 10 or preferably 12 inch height is
far superior for breaking up large rounds especially keeping the foot plate under a big
round on uneven ground in the vertical.

6- What is the grade of steel used for the beam? (AISI or ASTM)

Won't publish my resume, you can check my profile.

Take Care

Swamp Yankee,

Thank you so much for your interest and detailed questions. First let me state that our products are targeted for the higher end consumer and “pro-sumer” market. They are not intended for commercial users, though I know many people will use them as such, and frankly we welcome that because users like those found on this forum provide great feedback and suggestions. This product is clearly not a firewood processor; it is simply the best performance value currently available in a broad and easily accessible retail market. That said let me answer your questions:

1) Yes it is rated to be towed over the road with DOT approved tires. Generally speaking you do not need a light kit in most states/county’s for this product. Again, generally the rule of thumb is: “if you tow something that you put something “in” or “on” like boat or a load of dirt then it is a trailer and requires proper lighting, plates etc. Most places do not consider a towable log splitter something that requires a title and lights because you don’t put something in/on it and pull it behind your vehicle. (please, this is a general rule and I do not profess to know the individual rules of each county) That said our larger units will have a light and license plate kit because many rental companies, including the likes of HomeDepot require it. So the long answer to both of your questions is “yes.”

2) We manufacture the hydraulic components. Currently make over 50,000 per year so this is not new, and we make the hydraulic components for a lot of our competition. The system pressure is limited by the by-pass in the valve assembly. It is set at 3400 psi. Max pressure of the pump is 4000 psi. 1st stage 10.9 gal / min, 2nd stage 2.1 gal /min.

3) Yes the parts are rebuildable we can provide them or they can be obtained through the retailer. We have an ever growing service network of almost 15,000 small repair shops. So if there is ever an issue with a product of ours you simply call us and we find the closest shop to your location and we have it serviced.

4) We have a solution for this. If you look at that beam there are two holes 2” toward the lug side of the beam. Simply move the pivot bracket to these holes and purchase our 12” wheel kit. It is a 5 lug trailer wheel kit that not only makes the unit easier to roll around but gives you additional ground clearance. Since you can move the pivot bracket the foot plate will still remain flat on the ground in the vertical position even after you install the larger diameter wheels.

5) Why is it 8”? Good question. Most of the competition is 7” so we are already an inch larger. As I am sure you are aware the larger the foot plate and wedge get, the more bending moment you put on the beam. Simply force x distance. For the 22-28 ton units we feel we have hit the sweet spot in terms of size and acceptable weight. Our larger units will have bigger foot plates and wedges for the people like yourself that might require them. We can’t be all things to all people, but we do our best to offer the best performance at an attractive price to most people.

6) The beam is made of AISI 1018. Wedge is AISI 1045 and is heat treated.

Cheers,
DHT

Swamp Yankee,

Thank you so much for your interest and detailed questions. First let me state that our products are targeted for the higher end consumer and “pro-sumer” market. They are not intended for commercial users, though I know many people will use them as such, and frankly we welcome that because users like those found on this forum provide great feedback and suggestions. This product is clearly not a firewood processor; it is simply the best performance value currently available in a broad and easily accessible retail market. That said let me answer your questions:

1) Yes it is rated to be towed over the road with DOT approved tires. Generally speaking you do not need a light kit in most states/county’s for this product. Again, generally the rule of thumb is: “if you tow something that you put something “in” or “on” like boat or a load of dirt then it is a trailer and requires proper lighting, plates etc. Most places do not consider a towable log splitter something that requires a title and lights because you don’t put something in/on it and pull it behind your vehicle. (please, this is a general rule and I do not profess to know the individual rules of each county) That said our larger units will have a light and license plate kit because many rental companies, including the likes of HomeDepot require it. So the long answer to both of your questions is “yes.”

2) We manufacture the hydraulic components. Currently make over 50,000 per year so this is not new, and we make the hydraulic components for a lot of our competition. The system pressure is limited by the by-pass in the valve assembly. It is set at 3400 psi. Max pressure of the pump is 4000 psi. 1st stage 10.9 gal / min, 2nd stage 2.1 gal /min.

3) Yes the parts are rebuildable we can provide them or they can be obtained through the retailer. We have an ever growing service network of almost 15,000 small repair shops. So if there is ever an issue with a product of ours you simply call us and we find the closest shop to your location and we have it serviced.

4) We have a solution for this. If you look at that beam there are two holes 2” toward the lug side of the beam. Simply move the pivot bracket to these holes and purchase our 12” wheel kit. It is a 5 lug trailer wheel kit that not only makes the unit easier to roll around but gives you additional ground clearance. Since you can move the pivot bracket the foot plate will still remain flat on the ground in the vertical position even after you install the larger diameter wheels.

5) Why is it 8”? Good question. Most of the competition is 7” so we are already an inch larger. As I am sure you are aware the larger the foot plate and wedge get, the more bending moment you put on the beam. Simply force x distance. For the 22-28 ton units we feel we have hit the sweet spot in terms of size and acceptable weight. Our larger units will have bigger foot plates and wedges for the people like yourself that might require them. We can’t be all things to all people, but we do our best to offer the best performance at an attractive price to most people.

6) The beam is made of AISI 1018. Wedge is AISI 1045 and is heat treated.

Cheers,
DHT

_++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

About your wood splitters;

The first thing that would worry me is that they are road towable.
Simply because the tires are so small. A boat trailer size tire and axle with
oil bath bearings will be better because packing bearings is something
the consumer will forget to do and say YUCK!!!

The thing is the bearings and the wheels with no suspension are
the problem.

If the wheels were larger trailer tires such as the size for boat trailers
and boat trailer axles WITH oil bath bearing sets it will be better for the consumer.
Yes it will cost a little more but the consumer will be able manage it better with a
little gear oil because the boat trailer axles will have a clear plastic end cover to allow
the consumer to check the oil level at any time.

My thoughts on a nice friday when I should be outside doing chores.

Last edited:
I agree with everybody's comments, but I also agree that there are price/value trade-offs. I'm a look-in-person kind of guy. Where could I see/purchase one of these in Western CT? The local TSC doesn't have them.

I didn't see it mentioned - how much will the 4-way wedge cost?

I agree with everybody's comments, but I also agree that there are price/value trade-offs. I'm a look-in-person kind of guy. Where could I see/purchase one of these in Western CT? The local TSC doesn't have them.

I didn't see it mentioned - how much will the 4-way wedge cost?

The TSC store in Highland NY has them. They should be close to you. Address: 3650 US Highway 9w, Highland NY 12528. Ph 845-691-4950.

Retail pricing isn't final on the 4 way yet.

Yes there are price / value trade offs....especially when you are in a retail brick and mortar space.

DHT

Thanks for quick and equally detailed answers.

Round 2

May help, but that return line filter hanging down is a guaranteed rock, stump, branch and pot hole magnet regardless of a couple inches of tire height. Heck I've got ruts deeper than 10 to 12 inches in my processing area now and we're out, (hopefully), of mud season. It really needs to be mounted higher than the tank bottom.

As to the 4-way, will it be a rigid mount or allowed to float up and down? The only truly effective 4-ways I've ever seen need to float which is why they are typically found on fixed wedge, moving push block designs. Ram mounted 4-ways get hung up a lot with wood pinched between the wings and beam. Have actually seen a bent ram caused by this situation. If you haven't already, tap the R&D budget, rent a T'Wolf, American, or similar with a 4-way for a day and watch how that wedge dances up and down in use. Now imagine it that was fixed rigid how much upward force is being put on the ram and it's front bearing particularly as it nears full extension. Going back to the force X distance load formula we discussed previously, and multiply 25 ton by 2 feet and that's on heck of a bending moment on the ram. Food for thought.

Back to hydraulics, assuming the pump is a standard SAE A pilot and bolt pattern for easy swap out with a comparable unit. Also, is the valve's mounting footprint interchangeable with other manufacturer's or is it proprietary? You may have mentioned and I missed it, if so I apologize, but I'm assuming all ports are standard NPT fittings.

Last, back to over the road towing, what is the max recommended speed?

Take Care

For the price it looks like a decent splitter. These suggestions are nice and would be good options if needed but every little bit adds up and the price point is too high then. I have a speeco, I split maybe 8 to 10 cord a year with it. I could have built my own but I know I would have over built it for what I need and it would have cost me $2500 or more for it with my labor. It would have been a nice splitter but not what I really need. Now I have an outdoor stove so likely won't use the splitter much at all, might even sell it. I think this splitter is designed, priced for my type of customer, a guy who splits for himself and wants to do it when he has time so renting is not an option. I towed mine 20 miles once and no issues, little wheels and all. Any farther and it would go on one of my 20 plus trailers. As another example I only need 2 chain saws but I have 15. I had 4 splitters but I recently sold 2, I'm trying to do better. At the price quoted I know there is no way I could buy the equivalant parts and build it myself for less.

Many of you guys are a tough crowd. I agree with many of the suggestions, but when you take into account the price this appears to be an excellent value. If I didn't just buy a 35 ton Huskee last week (very pleased so far), I would definitely look into this DHT. I'm looking forward to hearing the real world reviews on this product.

Unsprung towing would not want to exceed 40mph, based on experience. I would not even recommend that speed as the units get to hopping and dancing something fierce. 25-30 would be max and likely would account for almost all in town transport. I have 16 miles between my shop and home, split at both locations, I put mine on a trailer for transport between the two, keeps other drivers from getting ticked because I am not running at speed on some sections. One of these days I might stick a subframe under there with an inexpensive ( does that even exist anymore) axel/spring combo one of those torsion units

Unsprung towing would not want to exceed 40mph, based on experience. I would not even recommend that speed as the units get to hopping and dancing something fierce. 25-30 would be max and likely would account for almost all in town transport. I have 16 miles between my shop and home, split at both locations, I put mine on a trailer for transport between the two, keeps other drivers from getting ticked because I am not running at speed on some sections. One of these days I might stick a subframe under there with an inexpensive ( does that even exist anymore) axel/spring combo one of those torsion units

If you can find a rear axle from a Dodge K car in the scrap yard they make good axles for splitters.

John

The small tires and towing wouldn't worry me. I pull mine down the state hi-way at 50-55 mph with 10" tires, back roads 35-45 mph. My unit was bought in arox. 1983 and I've replaced the bearings once and the tires once, maybe I'm running lucky?
The filters' low position is the only concern I would have. Pulled thru the woods or across a frozen corn field with corn stubble would be my only concern, it looks as if that filter would take a beating.
Looks like a nice unit.

Good questions. I think when SY was asking about the hydraulics, he ask who made them. You stated y'all did. I think what he was getting at, or at least I'll ask now, where are they made? I's this mostly a 'Made in China' machine? Where was all the welding done?

When will this be available????

Called the 1 800 number for Tractor supply and they never heard about this splitter. I asked if they were sure because I was looking right at this thread with pictures of the unit in front of their store and they still did not know about them or when they will be available in my area. So who can I call to find out when and where?

I was chatting with a few friends over the weekend and two of them are interested.

One lives in Salem, Oregon and the other lives in Lewiston, Idaho. Neither have internet so they asked if I could find out if there are any dealers in their area for them yet. The guy in Idaho would rather look it over first, so shipping it in isn't really appealing to him. Both guys sell firewood part time, maybe fifty cords a year each. Guy in Idaho is running a home made cobbled together rig that he got cheap and then spent hundreds keeping running. My friend in Salem is running an MTD right now and just figures on buying a new one when it breaks. Anyway, strong interest from both when the machines are available to them.

Mr. HE:cool:

Back