Introducing the new Log Splitter Line from DHT (Dirty Hand Tools)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All great points..... but I see no response

Right there on the first page, I guess you missed it. I'll quote it below for ease of finding.

Avalancher,

Thanks for the input. We appreciate it. The engine is situated so that the hose routing allows for the user to easily flip the unit up to the vertical position without kinking a hose and to minimize noise and carbon monoxide fumes. The filter and filter base are in front of the stripper plates so with the user in the operator zone their should be minimal opportunity for wood to fall forward. We include the log catcher on the opposite side to ensure that any wood that falls "away" from the operator does not land on the engine or filler cap.

Its hard to see in the pictures but the pump is actually under the beam. The coils on the hose are to prevent rubbing a hole through them for those that do a lot of towing if they bounced or rubbed up against another component in the same spot repeatedly. They also help prevent kinking.

As for other routing and design suggestions, we are very much limited to what the retailer will allow in terms of assembly so we have to create a balance between packaging and their assembly time. Others have pointed out that at the retail level there are not exactly skilled mechanics assembling the units. Nonetheless we appreciate your input and will take it into account for future iterations.

We have sold many of these already in the AUS and NZ market. Those guys are about as hard core as they come. Thus far, no complaints, no issues!

Mr. HE:cool:

I was chatting with a few friends over the weekend and two of them are interested.

One lives in Salem, Oregon and the other lives in Lewiston, Idaho. Neither have internet so they asked if I could find out if there are any dealers in their area for them yet. The guy in Idaho would rather look it over first, so shipping it in isn't really appealing to him. Both guys sell firewood part time, maybe fifty cords a year each. Guy in Idaho is running a home made cobbled together rig that he got cheap and then spent hundreds keeping running. My friend in Salem is running an MTD right now and just figures on buying a new one when it breaks. Anyway, strong interest from both when the machines are available to them.

Mr. HE:cool:

Hddnis,

We haven't shipped product to any retailers in the pacific NW yet. That probably wont occur to mid summer. We are mostly in the NE and mid-west at the moment. Please send me a PM to exchange information with the parties that are interested and maybe we can get them product direct from the warehouse in CO.

Thanks,
DHT

Called the 1 800 number for Tractor supply and they never heard about this splitter. I asked if they were sure because I was looking right at this thread with pictures of the unit in front of their store and they still did not know about them or when they will be available in my area. So who can I call to find out when and where?

Jedc43

Doesnt look like there are any stores near you carrying our product right now. There will be closer to the "splitter" sale season. I can get you one out of our warehouse direct to you if you like.
Let me know...we would be happy to help out and the more positive reviews we get the quicker our line will fill in elsewhere.

Thanks,
DHT

DHT

Thanks for quick and equally detailed answers.

Round 2

4) We have a solution for this. If you look at that beam there are two holes 2” toward the lug side of the beam. Simply move the pivot bracket to these holes and purchase our 12” wheel kit. It is a 5 lug trailer wheel kit that not only makes the unit easier to roll around but gives you additional ground clearance. Since you can move the pivot bracket the foot plate will still remain flat on the ground in the vertical position even after you install the larger diameter wheels.

May help, but that return line filter hanging down is a guaranteed rock, stump, branch and pot hole magnet regardless of a couple inches of tire height. Heck I've got ruts deeper than 10 to 12 inches in my processing area now and we're out, (hopefully), of mud season. It really needs to be mounted higher than the tank bottom.

As to the 4-way, will it be a rigid mount or allowed to float up and down? The only truly effective 4-ways I've ever seen need to float which is why they are typically found on fixed wedge, moving push block designs. Ram mounted 4-ways get hung up a lot with wood pinched between the wings and beam. Have actually seen a bent ram caused by this situation. If you haven't already, tap the R&D budget, rent a T'Wolf, American, or similar with a 4-way for a day and watch how that wedge dances up and down in use. Now imagine it that was fixed rigid how much upward force is being put on the ram and it's front bearing particularly as it nears full extension. Going back to the force X distance load formula we discussed previously, and multiply 25 ton by 2 feet and that's on heck of a bending moment on the ram. Food for thought.

Back to hydraulics, assuming the pump is a standard SAE A pilot and bolt pattern for easy swap out with a comparable unit. Also, is the valve's mounting footprint interchangeable with other manufacturer's or is it proprietary? You may have mentioned and I missed it, if so I apologize, but I'm assuming all ports are standard NPT fittings.

Last, back to over the road towing, what is the max recommended speed?

Take Care

Swamp Yankee,

Again, we appreciate the response and let me do my best to answer your questions:

1) Yes the 4-way can float, and it is adjustable for various dia logs. Personally I am not a huge fan of the 4-way for the logs we split out here but I know some customers swear by them. Alas we have designed the best one we could come up with. It's not a cheap slip-over unit.
2) I am not worried about the bending on the wedge and the foot plate, as much as I need to be worried about the mid-point of the beam as it is bending itself. As tonnage and the bending moment applied by making the foot plate increases you need to make the "I" of the I-beam taller. This affects over all weight, packaging, costs, etc. Thus the reason why 8" is the sweet spot for the 22-28 ton units.
3) The filter is not the lowest point on our product. That said if you are hauling it over 12" deep ruts at speed I would recommend you put it in the back of your Ford Raptor first and haul it to your work site. :) Plus it give you a reason to buy a Ford Raptor
4) All of the hydraulic components are interchangeable with: Prince, Haldex/Barnes, and Energy. All standard industry dimensions and threads (NPT).
5) Recommended speed is 45 mph.

There is an option for a Torflex suspension with a 12" 5 lug wheel. Though it is not cheap and wont be sold through the retail channels.

Others have asked about where the components are made. We have done our best to optimize cost without sacrificing quality. The engine is obviously from Kohler, there are hydraulic components from the USA and Asia, most of the weldments are from overseas, fasteners from the USA. You would actually be surprised by the $ percentage of domestic content.

Thanks,
DHT

Jedc43

Doesnt look like there are any stores near you carrying our product right now. There will be closer to the "splitter" sale season. I can get you one out of our warehouse direct to you if you like.
Let me know...we would be happy to help out and the more positive reviews we get the quicker our line will fill in elsewhere.

Thanks,
DHT
When is the splitter sale season?....Are there any Stores in the NE carrying this unit?????

Looks like a really nice little splitter; and your presence here alone speaks volumes on what you are doing to promote your product and answer any questions about it.
Best of Luck with sales !! Hope it goes well; next time I am up in CT [usually 2 or 3 times a year] will stop at TSC and check it out !!

See the post from DHT earlier in the thread. It's not carried anywhere in CT. I'm debating a drive to Highland, NY - they supposedly have one there. It seems like a good product but I really want to see it before I commit.

If I end up doing that I'll post a review here.

TSC is Baffled

Called TSC and they have a team of people trying to find out the stores that carry this unit...They have no Idea what I am talking about and when I directed them to this site they were baffled.... It being so hard to find information about this splitter I will probably stay away...To bad cause I would really like to check one out.When TSC calls me back with more info I will post..

Last edited:
We talked to the manager of the store in New Milford, CT and he said that there are some things basically every store carries, but some things the local buyer/manager has a lot of say in (especially expensive items that aren't commonly requested in some areas of the country). He said he had never heard of the DHT, but wasn't surprised by us asking because they get people calling for other things they don't carry there, too.

So... I ended up with a Speeco 22T. I could have gone an hour further to a store DHT suggested earlier in this thread would have it, but my wife is "10 months pregnant" as they say and we didn't want to risk the trip. Plus the local TSC said they wouldn't be able to honor a return or repair request for it - I'd have to go back to the original store (since it isn't something they carry).

I won't say anything about what I bought here because that isn't what this thread is about, but one related thing does occur to me. It would be interesting if manufacturers would offer some type of trade-in/up program. Surely there are some parts here that may be re-usable or at least recyclable (lots of steel in a splitter). I'm not saying it wouldn't be tricky - but anybody who could make that happen might get a nice sales bump. It might make an owner of a working but aging machine more interested in trying a new brand...

Well I went and looked at one tonight, not a bad lookin unit. The only change I would make is a elbow on the bottom of the pump or turn it like someone else said so the hose isn't so low. Other than that maybe by next fall if the price don't jump I will have one.:msp_thumbsup:

We talked to the manager of the store in New Milford, CT and he said that there are some things basically every store carries, but some things the local buyer/manager has a lot of say in (especially expensive items that aren't commonly requested in some areas of the country). He said he had never heard of the DHT, but wasn't surprised by us asking because they get people calling for other things they don't carry there, too.

So... I ended up with a Speeco 22T. I could have gone an hour further to a store DHT suggested earlier in this thread would have it, but my wife is "10 months pregnant" as they say and we didn't want to risk the trip. Plus the local TSC said they wouldn't be able to honor a return or repair request for it - I'd have to go back to the original store (since it isn't something they carry).

I won't say anything about what I bought here because that isn't what this thread is about, but one related thing does occur to me. It would be interesting if manufacturers would offer some type of trade-in/up program. Surely there are some parts here that may be re-usable or at least recyclable (lots of steel in a splitter). I'm not saying it wouldn't be tricky - but anybody who could make that happen might get a nice sales bump. It might make an owner of a working but aging machine more interested in trying a new brand...

Taskswap

Yes we are just in a limited number of stores with TSC right now so it does not surprise me that other stores are not aware of our products. TSC has 1200 stores and adding. The bulk of their splitters are sold between August and November so this really isn't their prime selling time. We hope to be in more of their stores by August.

Well I went and looked at one tonight, not a bad lookin unit. The only change I would make is a elbow on the bottom of the pump or turn it like someone else said so the hose isn't so low. Other than that maybe by next fall if the price don't jump I will have one.:msp_thumbsup:

Stilh023 yes we have looked at adding a 90 to the bottom of the pump to shorten the suction hose and make the ground clearance a little higher. The issue is that you have to orient the location of that fitting very precisely otherwise the hose will not fit. This is difficult with an NPT fitting in an Aluminum pump housing. The risk of reduced durability, increased difficulty to manufacture, increased cost, higher restriction on the pump (by adding the 90 degree bend) were not worth it in the end. Always looking to improve our designs, so maybe will see an improvement in the future.

Thanks for the feedback and kind words...

DHT

taskswap, there is no need for a store or dealer to offer an trade up or upgrade program, the used splitter market seems to take care of it pretty good. I was at a auction sale last week and a well used Speeco 22 ton sold for $800 plus 10% premium and before taxes. They never even started it before selling. They are on sale brand new for very close to that price. I just sold a real old home made vertical 3 pth splitter for close to new price too.

I looked at these splitters at the store in Traverse City Mi. this morning. If I wouldn't have bought my Huskee last fall I believe I would have went with the DHT. The one thing I noticed on both splitters was some of the welds had HUGE craters. I know they are welded by a machine but someone slipped when they set the welder up. The craters are a huge weld defect. Overall I think they are worth the asking price and with a sale I am sure of it.

I think you will find the machine welds better with what the do than does human. The human cannot move with the constant motion the machine. If there are "huge craters" in the welds and a machine did it, the machine was not set right. On a production line the machine welder will do a better job.

DHT, Here is a suggestion based on experience. First, what compelled you to name your product "Dirty?" No matter how it is built, that is marketing suicide. I get it, I mean OK we work we are dirty. I finish each day covered in the residue labor creates. However that name is not going to have a positive connotation in the consumer's mind. When I was a kid, I decided it didn't take much knowledge to build a house. Most kids go to work for a contractor and the ambitious ones figure out pretty quick that with a truck/tools so-on they could build a business of their own. I did. And I found myself digging footings by hand to the point I would literally break shovels. I decided to call my business, "Broken Shovel Contracting," based on my perception that breaking shovels meant that you worked hard and people would respect you. Right? Wrong. It made me sound as if I didn't care about my tools and thus what did I care about? Call them DHT, fine. Or call them, Bolt Splitters or something tough. Much of your base will walk past instead of laying down cold cash for dirty tools.

Arbornaut. Thanks for the advice, some people love the brand others may not. Turns out some retailers are really pretty excited, the like the logo and the message. It's meant to convey the idea that these power equipment products are for people that aren't afraid to get dirty and to work themselves. We make power equipment that makes a difficult chore easier, if not fun. As for bad brands....have you seen the "wild thing" chain saw? That sounds like a law suit. We have two other brands that will launch for our hand tools and farm equipment. Those will be available soon.

Fifelake/Preston,
We actually just installed (2) new Panasonic robotic welders on our beam assembly line this past month. So you will see all of our welds look much cleaner. Nonetheless let me assure you that these are plenty strong. We test them repeatedly to full pressure with a 5" cylinder during durability testing. They are considerably over built. Mostly because our goal is to never receive a phone call from an unhappy customer!

Being in a neighboring state from Colorado, Kansas, and the fact we have TSC's in several nearby cities, i should be able scope one out. They sound impressive from a price and spec. perspective, and im in the market for a splitter to last me awhile. The 9 horse and bigger pump interest me, any pricing on the larger model?

Latest posts

Back