Iowa Spring GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not fully grasped my new/old camera but here is the best I can give you.

DSCN0030.JPG

DSCN0031.JPG

There is another, I presume older version of this chain with much thicker/heavier teeth. I have a few small bits of it on hand but not enough to make up a chain for this saw. This one looks very much like an old two man scratcher type chain.

Philbert, I you are coming to the GTG on the 25th I have another small pile of chain for you and will have a few more to add to it as I get some other saws ready.

Mark

I have not fully grasped my new/old camera but here is the best I can give you. There is another, I presume older version of this chain with much thicker/heavier teeth. I have a few small bits of it on hand but not enough to make up a chain for this saw. This one looks very much like an old two man scratcher type chain.

Screen shot 2015-04-07 at 12.26.57 PM.png
Veeeerrrry interesting!

At first I thought, 'Mark could not have put that chain on backwards, could he?' I don't think that I have ever seen a scratcher tooth chain with depth gauges. Do you know when these were made?

If it is OK, I am going to post this in a scratcher chain thread I started: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/scratcher-chain.271236/

Thanks!

Philbert

Post away.

The BP-1 was produced in 1961/62, I am not sure of the actual dates but it was only offered for about 9 months before fears of the engine overspeeding and coming apart killed it...at least that was the official line. Unofficially it was rumored that the heat output and the complexity of the unit drove the decision to kill it. Some earlier chain like the JJ was built on a very similar chassis, that chain dates back a few more years.

They also have very specific instructions for filing the depth gauges as the chain wears, you don't take the top down, you file some off the "back" end of it to effectively lower the gauge.

I can't find any electronic version of the documentation right now so you will just have to take my word for it.

Mark

Attachments

• Old Mac Chain.pdf
    358.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Mc BP-1 Chain Jan 62.pdf
    239.1 KB · Views: 4
I drove from Tiffin, OH to Dike, IA last Friday, took just about 9 hours. Pretty easy drive really, pay attention at the 80/90/65 interchange, you can't get on 80 West directly but have to make a little swing up 65 and loop around to get on 80 again.

I think the tolls came to $14.45...

Mark

Yeah thats messed up making the jump from 90 to 80/94 and has been for sometime.

Its not bad most the time but at certain times of the day its not nice. Later in the day on Fridays is one of those times. If it was me coming from the east to the west on 90 I would just keep going west past I65 and take the Cline Ave/912 exit south and its only like 2 miles back south to 80/94.

Just a heads up, that whole area can be a mess on Friday late afternoon/evening. From I65 all the way to Joliet IL at times.

If things go as planned we will be going through there about noon or a bit after and don't expect any delays at that time.

Wow Dex, that's a haul!

Yep... Gonna stop half way and pick up my brother from another mother.

I may not even bring a saw. Just a hungry belly and a bunch of bullchit to talk about!! ;) lol

I drove from Tiffin, OH to Dike, IA last Friday, took just about 9 hours. Pretty easy drive really, pay attention at the 80/90/65 interchange, you can't get on 80 West directly but have to make a little swing up 65 and loop around to get on 80 again.

I think the tolls came to $14.45...

Mark

Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah thats messed up making the jump from 90 to 80/94 and has been for sometime.

Its not bad most the time but at certain times of the day its not nice. Later in the day on Fridays is one of those times. If it was me coming from the east to the west on 90 I would just keep going west past I65 and take the Cline Ave/912 exit south and its only like 2 miles back south to 80/94.

Just a heads up, that whole area can be a mess on Friday late afternoon/evening. From I65 all the way to Joliet IL at times.

If things go as planned we will be going through there about noon or a bit after and don't expect any delays at that time.

Thanks as well...

Pretty easy drive really, pay attention at the 80/90/65 interchange, you can't get on 80 West directly but have to make a little swing up 65 and loop around to get on 80 again

To stay on I80 west it is a mess. Much nicer road now construction is done. When not paying attention I have had to pay extra tolls to get turned around when going west. Or when chatting with someone.

Latest posts

Back