Iowa Spring GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
556e85e6d11d0e30bbc2747dbfedea1e.jpg
ed62a0f378a50d056655b7c189b00e20.jpg
just thought I would mention if any you get bored this summer and want run your saws I've got a little bit of wood to cut up this summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GTG at Mike's!!!

You seriously would come up here and cut? I just posted it for kind of a laugh, didn't think anyone would take it serious. As far as Waukee I'm not sure yet, my wife thought I was crazy for going last week not sure how to explain that one yet...

Mike, I can personally attest to how awesome these folks are!! Last year Andy was gonna be out of commission for a few months & a bunch of these fine folk came up & helped us full the wood shed by helping (i.e. doing the lions share of) cutting, splitting & stacking the log wood pile we had cut. When ya get right down to it, it's fun to get together and use these fun machines- even better when you can see some results and help someone out!! [emoji2]

Wow now that's a pile! Thanks for all the interest in helping me! We are still adding to ours. I'll keep my options open for a GTG

You seriously would come up here and cut? I just posted it for kind of a laugh, didn't think anyone would take it serious. As far as Waukee I'm not sure yet, my wife thought I was crazy for going last week not sure how to explain that one yet...

Tell her it's for a good cause! That should be all you need to say. I think there is a facebook page about it that might have more info, but I'm not on facebook. Doug or one of the others that's on FB might be able to chime in on that. It's worth it, I'll say that! I had other plan initially, but I canceled them to make the Charity Cut!!

The farmers around here would call that a brush pile and strike a match to it.
I drove by three piles ablaze just like that yesterday... and it was only about a 50 mile drive.
Seems cleanin' out fence rows and bare earth farming is all the rage again.
The lessons of the past are all too soon forgotten.

Yea that's how we get most our wood any more, some super farmer wants more ground and trees are in his way. We've cleared 3 building sites in the last 3 years all with in a couple miles of the farm. They were nice acreages too. Kind of a shame

I agree Mike, its a shame to see that for 3 more acres.......
We spend all our time just keeping the tree lines at bay. Usually leave the ones in the direct fence row, but every 15 years or so, you gotta declare war just to keep the whole place from becoming a jungle. Cedars, Elms, Honey Locust, and Hackberry trees are prolific..
The big Oaks usually get a pass, and the big Hedge trees usually just get some overhanging limbs removed.

I drove by three piles ablaze just like that yesterday... and it was only about a 50 mile drive.
Seems cleanin' out fence rows and bare earth farming is all the rage again.
The lessons of the past are all too soon forgotten.
damn short memorys,,and many of these same farmers,,grew up in the dust bowl years!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREEDY!!!!

Yea that's how we get most our wood any more, some super farmer wants more ground and trees are in his way. We've cleared 3 building sites in the last 3 years all with in a couple miles of the farm. They were nice acreages too. Kind of a shame
YEP!!! guy called last year,,about july!!! said I need a grove cleaned out... ok.. but to know this cat,,hes tighter than a violin string, sooooo. I gets to the acreage,,which has long since been deserted,,and ask him the plan..he says,,haul mail as fast as you can,,as the other folks aint movin none to fast!!! dont want no money, just get!! soooo, I grabs the 999, as near all of these,,are close to 32 inch dbh.....and start cutting like mad.. and hauling away also....the two that were taking their time,,were getting mad,,i was taking their wood!!!! muwhahahha. keith said first come, first served!!! pee heads....he said to get them down,,as what I didnt get down, the backhoe would!!! all were white oak,,except for one 46 dbh hackberry!!! took me a month,all by self,,to get em all down,,and gone...there were 23 trees total!! I left the smaller stuff,,for some good friends,,that lived about three miles away. i told them each day what I kept for self,,they took all the rest. and were REALLY happy!!! the one friend, left his small gehl skid with grapple there..damn, what a work saver!!! oh!1 I kept all above 6 inch,,friends got the rest!! final tree,,no shirt,,sweating like a pig,,and drinking copious Gatorade, he comes on the place...shut things down,,hes says, you crazy??? was HOT!! but he said.............................he then said,,you went soooo fast,,you got at least two weeks before hes here!! :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: I said, im already sweating,,so ill keep going till this ones done...he was laughing! tons of wood out of there!!!!

We spend all our time just keeping the tree lines at bay. Usually leave the ones in the direct fence row, but every 15 years or so, you gotta declare war just to keep the whole place from becoming a jungle. Cedars, Elms, Honey Locust, and Hackberry trees are prolific..
The big Oaks usually get a pass, and the big Hedge trees usually just get some overhanging limbs removed.

Thats understandable but you don't clear em with a dozer, pile em up, burn them and not let anyone take the wood do ya?

Thats what I'm talkin about..

Thats understandable but you don't clear em with a dozer, pile em up, burn them and not let anyone take the wood do ya?

Thats what I'm talkin about..
Nope...
I make the boys throw all the rounds on the big truck while we're flopping and dissecting more.
When the tops get so under foot you can't work, I holler for one of em to push it all out of the way with the loader, and we start all over again..
If a neighbor wants it done, I drop all the trees, and top em'. We pick the logs out and haul them away, then push up the rest to burn..
Unless I know of someone who needs the smalls... Then we take em right down to 3" or so.

Latest posts

Back