Is A Little Extra Length On Your Pole Really That Important?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUKON 659

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I knew the title would get a few more lookers LOL Anyhow what I really wanted to know is....for those of you who own or use the 21' Silky Hayauchi pole saw, do you feel that the extra length is that important? Could you get by with the 16 footer? I'm shopping for one right now and I'm trying to decicide on the 16' or 21'.

Thanks, Jeff

IMO, I think the extra length helps. Anything I can reach with a sixteen footer, I might as well go up my 16' ladder and knock out with a chainsaw, rather than wearing myself out with the pole saw. I like my 21' Silky.

I've got a non-Silky 30' polesaw. 30' is too long most of the time - you have to stand directly under the cut to have control of the pole. 21' sounds like a good length. The only downside would be the extra weight to carry every day. If you know that everything you want to cut is less than 16', go with that. Otherwise, longer is better.

I find it very frustrating to navigate the canopy with just 2 pole sections (about 12 feet). I try to get by with 1 and a 1/2 sections. made a half section from and old pole and wrapped it in a few places with friction tape for a better grip. A plus is I get better quality cuts, but I have to get out on the limbs a little further. 21 foot of pole sounds unmanageable, especially when the bark tears down and you get a bad cut. My 2 cents.

Corey

Thanks for the input...I should have mentioned that this saw will be used the majority of the time from the ground.

Jeff

but there's limit to how much weight you can control.
got several of 6 and 8 ft jamison pole sections, rarely get past three.

arboristman said:
from the ground,longer is better.we all know that,dont we?

YUKON, get the 21'er, you'll be glad you did. I've just bought my second one and WILL get another if something should ever happen to it. Just because it can go to 21' dosen't mean you have to keep it there. Just extent it to what ever length you want...its designed so you can make itwhat ever length you want it to be! As far as bark tear...do the same as you would with a chainsaw, cut out past your final cut first to eliminate the weight. HC

Good post thanks, I'm shopping for one too, just ordered a 21' silky after the replies I got to my post, I would have gone for the 16, but my groundie (hubby), who uses the pole saw more told me to get the 21. What is it about guys and long tools?:laugh:
I reckon it will be more versatile, I don't use it in the tree too often, so when I do I can keep it short.

Godd choice. I recently bought the hayuchi myself, because once every month or so I get that job with the deadwood 20 feet up and waaaaay out on a flimsy limb. That saw makes things possible that werent before, its big weakness though is the difficulty in manouvering in the canopy. Its heavy and if your not in the perfect position, takes allot of muscle to aim when extended. The fact that it has no hook adds annother logistical problem to bringing it up there. The first time I used it in a tree I didnt take the time to improvise a way to hang it and was lowering it by hand in its fully extended position, when I got to the blade, it slipped just a bit and shazam, four stiches in my thumb and blood all over my groundie. Silky is not kidding with that blade. Now that it has tasted human flesh I have to be extra carefull.

I love my 21' Silky, but like my Hayauchi handsaw, it will cut you and cut you good. Amazingly sharp. It makes my old sectioned pole saw look so bad that now no one will use it.

Ryan Gossen said:
The fact that it has no hook adds annother logistical problem to bringing it up there. The first time I used it in a tree I didnt take the time to improvise a way to hang it

A simple couple of turns around the butt end, secured by a lowly half-hitch. Then the rope (something small) runs up the shaft and near the top you make a loop, drop the loop down over the top. Now you can lift it up and it will stay vertical. When the top end gets up to you, it's a simple matter to unloop that top end, and continue lifting the pole. Untie the butt end (if you wish) and you're in business.

Hey, it works for 12' long antennas being hoisted up to a 125' tower. Why wouldn't it work for a pole saw?

Hmmm. Saw might get in the way, so maybe reverse it. Hoist it up butt end first?

the advantages of useing the pole saw is when your in a small confined space and the crap that getting trimmed is small or arround power lines. i would rather use a hand saw to cut out the small branches around the wires than a chainsaw. It's just so there less stuff that can hit the wires and nock them on the ground.

My goal as a tree trimmer is to never be the cause of a major power outage due to a fallen branch.

First use of Hyatuchi 21'

I got my Hyatuchi 21' on Friday, used it for the first time today, cutting palm fronds and Baygrape.
I was using it full length for the palms, the sickles at the ends of the blades were real useful.
I am totally sold on this saw, it cuts better than the Stihl 790, the adjustment pins and clips are better, The extra length is great, it's light, in short I LOVE IT!

Thanks to everyone who chipped in with their opinions, it was worth it!:clap:

BlueRidgeMark said:
A simple couple of turns around the butt end, secured by a lowly half-hitch. Then the rope (something small) runs up the shaft and near the top you make a loop, drop the loop down over the top. Now you can lift it up and it will stay vertical. When the top end gets up to you, it's a simple matter to unloop that top end, and continue lifting the pole. Untie the butt end (if you wish) and you're in business.

Hey, it works for 12' long antennas being hoisted up to a 125' tower. Why wouldn't it work for a pole saw?

Hmmm. Saw might get in the way, so maybe reverse it. Hoist it up butt end first?

ridge, he doesn't want a rigging class!!!!!! he wants a hook on the pole to hang it off to the side, when it;s not being used...

I use a sixteen foot wood pole. It's light, strong, everything I need. I have put three eight foot jamesons together for extra reach. I hear those telescoping deals aren't good for pushing hangers out, and that would be a dealbreaker for me.

Back