Is any one using a bar mounted filing guide?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remington69078

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
just picked up the oregon bar mounted file guide for getting the cutters a little more even on the job or on the go and I'm pretty impressed with it just wonder what thoughd and opions you guys might have thanks

I always thought they were a rather clumcy alternative, to the extent that I never gave them a real chance.

When I use a guide, it is either the Husky roller combo guide, or the Carlton FOP.

I always thought they were a rather clumcy alternative, to the extent that I never gave them a real chance.

same here. i bought a grandberg and used it a few times. it just sits on the bench. i prefer to file in the woods and to grind in the shop. grinding is slower bc of the need to remove the chain and index the grinder to the cutter length, but i have gotten it down to about 5 minutes to setup and grind an 84DL chain. and, i can take a ground chain and touch it up free hand several times bf i need to grind it back to specs.

I use a grandberg. I found it very useful in training myself on angles, so now I generally hand file several times then touch it up the next time with the grandberg.

I've parts of a Sears Craftsman Grandberg clone, circa 1970, which my father had bought, wish i could find the rest of it.

/edit - and do you realize there is a subforum for chain sharpening?

Last edited:
I can free file prettey decent only got abot 3 years under me as I'm only 21 but it helps when your out at a job and need to ger all cutters at the same lenth thanks for the imput guys

I use a grandberg. I found it very useful in training myself on angles, so now I generally hand file several times then touch it up the next time with the grandberg.

:agree2:

I have a Granberg and use it in the same capacity. They do get a chain sharp, but take a while to get used to and it takes a little longer than with a FOP.

I use one and like it. I do not use it every time I touch up a chain, but probably every third time or so. They are pretty quick once you get the hang of them.

I have a grandberg and found it rather awkward to use although it did the job.
Once I understood the concept I made the following 30 degree jig.

Feb1310.jpg

The file guide does most of the work by controlling file height and establishes the proper cutter hook. The jig makes it easier to maintain proper and consistant angles. All I have to concentrate on is holding the file level to the bench and keeping it aimed parallel to jig.
Here's how it was made.

Feb1310001.jpg

Feb1310002.jpg

That's a helluva good idea Sunset! I may hafta build me one of them. Even got the corresponding chain/file sizes, something I can NEVER keep straight!

Rep inbound :cheers:

Thanks

I use my Granbergs most of the time. Takes a little extra time but works well. I still haven't tried free hand. I've also got a grinder, but find I use it more for other people's chains than I do for my own.

how come it seems that a round file sharpend stihl rsc cuts better then a rsc chain that I take in to get sharpend with the rakers of the same height does any one else prefer a filed chain over a ground chain? Also that's a pretty nice solid but simple shet up you have there for a file guide thank you for the info

bc most people that sharpen chains in a shop don't know what they are doing. i don't deny that a skilled filer may make a sharper chain. but for the average firewood cutter, a properly ground chain will be as sharp as their hand-filed chain. the average shop will slap it on the grinder, make sure the disc hits metal and throws sparks, drop it down and hold it until stops cutting. this damages (blues) the cutter, pays no attention to making sure the cutters are the same length or whether the sparks they see coming from the chain are from the cutter or the gullet. when i grind i measure a few to make sure that i sharpen the shortest cutter without grinding away extra material, but most of my chain's cutters are to within a couple thousandths of an inch. if i have one cutter that is much shorter than the others, i will leave it and let the rest of the cutters come to it over successive sharpenings. i won't waste half the cutter length on a chain just to even up the rest up to one very short cutter. i have watched shops sharpen chains while i waited (not for chain sharpening) and most of time they are done in a couple of minutes. they never eyeball and inspect what they are doing.

I have used an Oregon brand probably ever since they have been made (early '60's) . I try to keep one made out of aluminum. The plastic ones will flex pretty bad. I don't worry about short or long cutters or how many strokes .

I bought a granberg to even up cutters after hitting nails and wire.

Flippity, floppity, non indexing, Rube goldbergian collection of parts.

If anybody wants it, come get it. I can have a 28" skip chain filed back to "Close enough" in the time it takes to set the granberg upon the bar..

Neat idea. Just not fer me.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I bought a granberg to even up cutters after hitting nails and wire.

That is what I use the roller combo guide and FOP for + plus the rakers.

A huge plus with those guides is that you really don't need to get all the cutters equally long, as the rakers are adjusted to the individual cutter!

Most cutters does of course have to be about the same length though, or the chain may start cutting crooked.

Last edited:
I got one of those red oregon flippity floppity bar mounted "hoochacallits".

It works wonderful and I use it for all of my chains and you can use it rather quickly once you learn how. Besides unless you're hand filing between gassings, just throw on a fresh filed loop.:cheers:

I have been using a Granberg for the last 30 years and I will have the Granberg installed and one side filled before you hand filers even figure out which side your going to do first:cheers:

how come it seems that a round file sharpend stihl rsc cuts better then a rsc chain that I take in to get sharpend any one else prefer a filed chain over a ground chain?

If you examine a new chain with a jewellers eye loupe, say 5 x magnification, you'll understand why. When touching up your chains just file the first cutter then check progress with the eye loupe. When you're satisfied give each cutter the same number strokes. Coupled with the jig in post #9 above you'll get excellent results every time.

I use the stihl file guide. I thought I was a good hand filer but using the jig I have discovered that I was somewhat lacking. I now have some damn sharp chains!

I tried the Granberg but also found it clumsy, awkward, hard to get adjusted just right, etc. It just collects dust now.

I use the FOP and have had very good luck with it.

Latest posts

Back