IS BBR the best logger you've ever seen?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6'1 and 155 lbs. I just used leverage in my favor definitely a skinny man, but I fell in love with downing big stuff and climbing like a spider monkey. age put a stop to that
I can relate to that as I am somewhat similar in stature. We were just talking about the "wiry" logger who might not have the mass to drive the wedges into the tree right away [IE M x V = Mom. [from another thread] but they could do it all day IE HP to weight ratio for a human... I realize that sometimes it is hard to get humor across without the old "lol" or emoji-- but I hear you brother. Some people dont understand when someone speaks in general either and they pick every word and don't understand that this is just a forum and they shouldn't obsess or get offended [for whatever reason, only they know].

RegCoates is a pretty skookum channel for the arborist type stuff though, He's not one to overcomplicate stuff, just shows how it is and why.
'biased
RegCoates is a pretty skookum channel for the arborist type stuff though, He's not one to overcomplicate stuff, just shows how it is and why.
I always wondered what the real true professionals opined on what makes one faller standout from another professional [im trying to be careful about my use of words and terminology now] and how much they might be inclined to agree/disagree with characters like BBr, since I never had the oportunity to work with some of the crews in our neck of the woods- despite running saws 75% of my life and knowing the basics +. I think we all know wtf someone is saying when they call someone a badass [and it aint bad-fcol]. R u still interested in some of that 1000 y/o df that you saw first log load up here? 25 rings/inch

'biased

I always wondered what the real true professionals opined on what makes one faller standout from another professional [im trying to be careful about my use of words and terminology now] and how much they might be inclined to agree/disagree with characters like BBr, since I never had the oportunity to work with some of the crews in our neck of the woods- despite running saws 75% of my life and knowing the basics +. I think we all know wtf someone is saying when they call someone a badass [and it aint bad-fcol]. R u still interested in some of that 1000 y/o df that you saw first log load up here? 25 rings/inch
THIS TREAD IS HISTORY NOW! This guy is the best logger of all time [and he aint no f ing badass either! lmao]

'biased

Where I used to live, there are two guys who are well respected. Never heard them called bad ass. It's more like, "He's a damn good faller." The two were raised in the business, are now in their late 60s or maybe even 70ish, and worked in the old growth Doug-fir and later the second growth. They are not braggarts. Both may still be called to take care of a hazard tree in a campground--don't know if they still do that. Neither puts videos on youtube.

It's funny. One of those guys will go into a detailed explanation of what he'll try to do with a hazard tree. The other will simply say, "I'm gonna cut it down and if it goes backwards, I'll run like hell."

'biased

Theres an Old boy named John runs around town he's called me asking about that type of stuff, can't find his number though
As for production fallers, its hit and miss, they can all put wood on the ground efficiently, but I would hold my breath as to whether I'd work close to them, or let them loose near high value targets.
Couple few years ago (Big Pro Crew, starts with an N ends with son) cleared a bunch of stuff by Menzel Lake(the lake, not the pit) despite having massive iron wedges on hand they still managed to cross the road 3-4 times and take out the power.
And having hauled logs for plenty of "experienced" cutters, very few of them can buck for grade anymore. Or Make a decent stack of wood that doesn't take 3 times as long to sort through. Yers wasn't terrible, and you had limited space to work with, some of these clowns have multiple acres and excavators and still manage to make a damned mess of it, then strut around town like they are Paul Bunyan, when they could barely be described as an ignorant blue ox...
Granted part of that is they are used to having operators clean their messes up, and when the big boys are cutting by weight, scale is secondary so if its not a 40' its pulped, but when you cut by scale... 40's just give the mills money... and are a real PITA to load on a Self loader, especially with a sketchy "road" that doesn't allow the truck to stretch out.. All things the "experienced" guy should already know. but can't seam to fathom.

Theres an Old boy named John runs around town he's called me asking about that type of stuff, can't find his number though
As for production fallers, its hit and miss, they can all put wood on the ground efficiently, but I would hold my breath as to whether I'd work close to them, or let them loose near high value targets.
Couple few years ago (Big Pro Crew, starts with an N ends with son) cleared a bunch of stuff by Menzel Lake(the lake, not the pit) despite having massive iron wedges on hand they still managed to cross the road 3-4 times and take out the power.
And having hauled logs for plenty of "experienced" cutters, very few of them can buck for grade anymore. Or Make a decent stack of wood that doesn't take 3 times as long to sort through. Yers wasn't terrible, and you had limited space to work with, some of these clowns have multiple acres and excavators and still manage to make a damned mess of it, then strut around town like they are Paul Bunyan, when they could barely be described as an ignorant blue ox...
Granted part of that is they are used to having operators clean their messes up, and when the big boys are cutting by weight, scale is secondary so if its not a 40' its pulped, but when you cut by scale... 40's just give the mills money... and are a real PITA to load on a Self loader, especially with a sketchy "road" that doesn't allow the truck to stretch out.. All things the "experienced" guy should already know. but can't seam to fathom.
32's all day, right? lol [IE 3 sticks per, not 2]--I hear ya. On my 40's, we just wanted to make sure we could get enough of the butt end with a topper up high enough---we just needed to pull those things down and out which was the main objective. I should have sent him up with a tape, but NBD.

Where I used to live, there are two guys who are well respected. Never heard them called bad ass. It's more like, "He's a damn good faller." The two were raised in the business, are now in their late 60s or maybe even 70ish, and worked in the old growth Doug-fir and later the second growth. They are not braggarts. Both may still be called to take care of a hazard tree in a campground--don't know if they still do that. Neither puts videos on youtube.

It's funny. One of those guys will go into a detailed explanation of what he'll try to do with a hazard tree. The other will simply say, "I'm gonna cut it down and if it goes backwards, I'll run like hell."
I wasnt specifically using the term 'bad ass' as a title to anything logging, just referring to the meddle, toughness, grit, etc. of [trying to be careful with my words now] a guy, girl, human,etc that can day in and day out get on the steep slopes of a mountain and buck, set the choker, etc. on logs with a hole 20 feet down. And the ones who buck logs all day in that scenario takes a special breed of person, imho. That's some hairy stuff! I wasnt talking about the people who do it for a short bit and cant cut it anymore and quit. If a guy calls another person a 'bad ass' that is complimentary, at least it used to be. I have never worn a pair of corks, so that should tell you the level of my experience in logging.

So then, which one would you rather fall trees with, the former or latter?

Maybe I am different about OG, but when I look at that 1,000 y/o df rings I only imagine what that tree endured with droughts, f fires [and df is king imho for ff survival] and then the dark "late growth" rings that appear almost cyclic IE every 100 year or so... 20-25 rings per inch is tight and of course the terpenes that you dont get with this 2nd and new growth dfir---You just do not get to smell that often. People praise West. Red for its anti fungal qualities, but og D fir is just as good. Anyway, I made a bunch of cookie cuts on a 1/4-1/3 log with the 52" bar and you can have one to toss on your "self loather" next load. The log was too wide for my 20 ton trailer, so we had to split it--that would have made a nice f 'ing "round"! Fmr tail spar tree stones throw from here.

I would have to say most of those guys in that old black and white photo are 'bad asses' --lol...I do have to say they sure were spoiled with some nice timber, because they sure left a lot of "select" #1 grade on the ground that are scattered today as "dead men" on todays forests. The "little trees" they cut to make their escape routes are nice logs! Here is one of my favorite local relics we call 'Burl Ives' it isn't like that Guiness WR photo, but it is over 5 rifle lengths wide [17+ feet diameter]. I want to preserve it so future generations will have some idea of what once was. They talk about some of these giants were over 400' tall? AMAZING!
1682899819795.jpeg

I occasionally watch Bjarne's stuff. He sounds funny and the views are gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/@BjarneButler/videos
I would much rather see a BBR video of him 'just doing it' at a location like Bjarne Butlers videos, than hearing him hyper-explain basic things like he is talking to kindergarteners. I realize he is more of a reality show now with a broad spectrum of subscribers [after reading some of his fan fare comments], but if he is going to give tips on advanced level tree cutting techniques, then no need for the over explaining, because many of his subscribers are not the ones you DON'T want picking up a saw for the first time and attempting to some of the things bbr does. I wonder how much cabbage a person would get when they have half a million subscribers?? I bet they do well just from endorsing a product they get for free from companies.

"are not the ones you DON'T want picking up a saw for the first time and attempting to some of the things bbr does".
My bad on the double negative...I dont want to get in trouble with the ABsite [verbiage] ombudsman--- :D:chainsaw: 👍U get the gist.

Latest posts

Back