Is it legal to tie into a cranes loadline? Where to find the right information on it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and if you use a friction saver to tie into a crane you are a dumbass and chances are you have no "right" to be using a crane in the first place.

we rent from like 4-5 different companies none of them have a problem with riding the ball if you think about it is it really that unsafe? whats worse tying into a crane or climbing a rotten tree. i would have to say the crane is in the safer side of my job duties.

Last edited:
OD, you rock.

As do the rest of the climbers in the know about crane work here. This dude is a Joker who has no business doing trees in the first place. Anyone can rig static loads of steel dumb ####. Crane work with trees is an an art and very lucrative. Too bad you're missing the boat on that one. I'm glad you're not lifting climbers. You don't have the brains for it.

the guys bragin about being a certified crane operator. i dunno about other places but in PA it was a 2 week course at the local crane sales place me and a guy that worked for me got it and didn't have to do to much studying. not rocket science.

they break it into two classifications large and small telescopic generally anything with an operators cab is large telescopic.

Have there been any cases where a friction saver has failed on a crane?

just not a good idea to put it up against abrasive parts thats why the shackle goes into place a lot smoother and it won't cut through anything.

As a person who holds a Crane License in NY State let me splain it to you from my point of view.

My License, MY RULES backed by the machine owner's rules based on his insurance carrier's rules! If I can see the hook and you tie on the way it will play out is I lock the house, the boom and the lifting line as I dial 911 to have the Fire Department come out to rescue the mental defective entangled in my lifting line. There won't be any arguing about it!

If I can't see the hook and you tie into my lifting line the oiler or person spotting the hook better tell me right quick so I can lock the house, the boom and the lifting line as I dial 911 to have the Fire Department come out to rescue the mental defective entangled in my lifting line.

I'll also guarantee you that you and your company will go on a list of customers who will NEVER again get crane service.

Yes I do know you're the last of the cowboys, know everything there is to know about knots, shackles, slings, ropes, nonmetalic straps and of course the machine I'm sitting in because I HOLD THE LICENSE! You also know exactly what the hunk of wood you're about to load onto my machine weighs to the pound, what my boom angle is, how much I can pick at that angle and how much groundpressure I'll be putting on the outrigger carrying the majority of the pick. Again, I HOLD THE LICENSE!

I spent a few hundred hours qualifying to test for that License, and I ain't about to loose it for one pick that went down the crapper.

You don't like the way I do things? I HOLD THE LICENSE! Guess who wins the argument?

Fortunately there are plenty of cranes available to be bought thanks to the current lack of demand. Since you probably don't want to bother getting a License, I suggest you buy a truck mounted machine.

Best of luck to you.

Do a lot of tree removals? I appreciate your input considerably but fail to understand why you are getting so worked up. I work for one of the oldest tree companies around and we ride the crane, tied in according to the ANSI standard. The whole purpose of the thread was how to do this safe and proper.

HAD you done YOUR job correctly YOU wouldn't have been injured.
Don't even claim the crane operator was any part of YOUR screwup.

You're right, I am ignorant of many things. I wouldn't even attempt to operate a tower crane because I don't know the machine. I damn well wouldn't attempt to take a load that was under tension either because I'm ignorant of how it is going to bounce when it is cut free.

Calling 911 to pick a dead climber up, no problem. He will get dead from his screwup, NOT MINE. If he's nice enough to leave the number for his next of kin I'll call them too. I have a lot of minutes available.

I don't tell climbers how to cut trees and I will NOT accept any climber telling me how to run my machine. I do not make the rules, the insurance carrier does. My LICENSE = MY RULES. I know why the rules exist.

your insurance company makes the rules on how to operate your machine. man i must have missed that in CCO class ill have them fax me a copy right away. thanks for the heads up.:msp_sneaky:

Do a lot of tree removals? I appreciate your input considerably but fail to understand why you are getting so worked up. I work for one of the oldest tree companies around and we ride the crane, tied in according to the ANSI standard. The whole purpose of the thread was how to do this safe and proper.

i don't appreciate it its all BS thats the problem with this site 50% BS. theirs about ten false statements in his post. after 50 people that do it for a living tell him otherwise he still thinks he's right.

sure he's a CCO him and about 3 other million people. he must be the smartest one.

Read more of the thread.... I should have done it before posting. What is he doing on here anyhow?

Anyone else do funny cartoon swimming in the air as they are being hoisted up? :yoyo:

No,It's just not his prefered tip. For the record anything that od aint doing is wrong, gay or amature. I'll tie into a hook with a pin and not sweat it for a second as most anyone will. I don't think he would blow a driveway without his chaps and a hi viz shirt on. Only fail I ever heard was a shackle that flipped and spun the pin, dropped the climber, pretty sad story a local guy.
Any company will lift ya and if they dont move on.The reason you rent a crane is for efficiency and safety.

i don't appreciate it its all BS thats the problem with this site 50% BS. theirs about ten false statements in his post. after 50 people that do it for a living tell him otherwise he still thinks he's right.

sure he's a CCO him and about 3 other million people. he must be the smartest one.

Ah, ease up Matt, he is just a scared tick. He has reasoned himself into submission.
Jeff

the guys bragin about being a certified crane operator. i dunno about other places but in PA it was a 2 week course at the local crane sales place me and a guy that worked for me got it and didn't have to do to much studying. not rocket science.

they break it into two classifications large and small telescopic generally anything with an operators cab is large telescopic.

My guess is recently licensed (within the last couple of years) and hasn't seen any real work yet... And no real tree work. Believe me, after 20 years of doing crane removals, it's very easy to spot a rookie just by the way he talks. 20 Years down the line he might think back on this little exchange and realize what an ass he has been... That is if they don't pull his license for killing someone. Those who live by the book die by it.

No,It's just not his prefered tip. For the record anything that od aint doing is wrong, gay or amature. I'll tie into a hook with a pin and not sweat it for a second as most anyone will. I don't think he would blow a driveway without his chaps and a hi viz shirt on. Only fail I ever heard was a shackle that flipped and spun the pin, dropped the climber, pretty sad story a local guy.
Any company will lift ya and if they dont move on.The reason you rent a crane is for efficiency and safety.

this coming from the guy who now climbs with the right size saw for the crane usage due to my tutelage and
keep running that rope over the slings and you'll burn through em, holdy, and thats no bueno.....

now if you ran 2 master links off the hook (1 for the slings and 1 for the climber) that be fine too just put the climbing shackle first then the load shackle. then pin the hook......

and upon further review of this post of your's it is true that if you climbing or working in a manner of which i disapprove then the chances are you will indeed be a complete stiff with little skill and less knowledge. you probably very unsafe too.

and the chaps thing is true because if i am blowing off a driveway then we working and if we working then i am wearing chaps. i even wear chaps in the bucket. why? because we working. if i'm on the clock, i'm wearing chaps. if i walk into dunkin donuts on the way to the next job i guarantee i'm in chaps. why? because we just left the job that i was just working at and this little pit stop is on the way to the next place i am working at.

even the high vis too. my wife beater is a company hi vis, as is my t shirt, as is the long sleeve, as is the company hoodie, as is the company winter coat.

safety first.

this coming from the guy who now climbs with the right size saw for the crane usage due to my tutelage and
keep running that rope over the slings and you'll burn through em, holdy, and thats no bueno.....

now if you ran 2 master links off the hook (1 for the slings and 1 for the climber) that be fine too just put the climbing shackle first then the load shackle. then pin the hook......

and upon further review of this post of your's it is true that if you climbing or working in a manner of which i disapprove then the chances are you will indeed be a complete stiff with little skill and less knowledge. you probably very unsafe too.

and the chaps thing is true because if i am blowing off a driveway then we working and if we working then i am wearing chaps. i even wear chaps in the bucket. why? because we working. if i'm on the clock, i'm wearing chaps. if i walk into dunkin donuts on the way to the next job i guarantee i'm in chaps. why? because we just left the job that i was just working at and this little pit stop is on the way to the next place i am working at.

even the high vis too. my wife beater is a company hi vis, as is my t shirt, as is the long sleeve, as is the company hoodie, as is the company winter coat.

safety first.

Yeah, but WTF is up wit dat treeman beard??? I'm scared your gonna get it caught in the chipper! ;)

the ball of a crane is a very tough place to be a part of. i would not want to be hanging around on a piece of fabric in an area of rather extreme violence.

you just cannot go wrong with the picture i shared. its bullet proof and only makes sense. double the safety even.

Yeah, but WTF is up wit dat treeman beard??? I'm scared your gonna get it caught in the chipper! ;)

lol.

just been letting that baby grow. free range beard, i let it do as it pleases.

true story.

i was doing a couple easy ash trees just tall and skinny with the crane near some wires. 2 pickers. these trees were absolutely smothered in vines as well. so i just set the sling and had him tighten up. as i rap'd down i was being deliberate due to the proximity and the vines. i had just gotten a foot tangled and leaned into the climb line and freed my foot then fast rap'd to get by. as soon as i got going all of a sudden i came to a screeching halt....

my beard got caught in my prussic!! i was hanging with all my weight on the beard and no where near a branch to stand on. i had to do a 1 arm pull up and try to free myself by undoing my distal knot with one hand..... try it by the way, unloading a fully loaded distal with one hand.

needless to say there were some hearty laughs from the log truck driver and crane op. good times. still a full beard so it only hurt the pride minus the good sized tuft of beard hair that was stuck in the knot....

how you been, larry? well i hope.

btw, this thing is getting pretty rugged. almost a year old now. the gf is going to bake a cake for its birthday. feb 12.

LOL, Doin good bro. hit me on my old number when you get a chance. Glad to hear you and the little woman are doing good... BTW, How the hell did a goober like you end up with such a hot girl??? ;)

LOL, Doin good bro. hit me on my old number when you get a chance. Glad to hear you and the little woman are doing good... BTW, How the hell did a goober like you end up with such a hot girl??? ;)

its probably a combination of my killer good looks and charming personality, i'd say..... i know you liked them legs.

i'll send ya a text tomorrow. cool?

Well, I knew it couldn't be because of your longfellow because you don't have one! :D

Call or text anytime bro. I would have already hit you but I had to replace my phone and lost your #

I'm coming to Boston soon... :)

Latest posts

Back