Is milling addictive?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardhat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've always had a problem with chainsaws. Got 5 of them. They all run and I use them from time to time from the Stihl 034 bow saw to the 394xp to the 2 4200 countervibes. I have been milling and find my mind just thinking about how cool the boards look and how cool it is to push the 394xp down the log. I have cut up 2 tulip poplars and made 3 12ft 4x8's and 4 14 ft 6x10's. These are all drying as we speak. My problem is now I feel an inner urge to buy a 3120xp or a big stihl, get a long bar, a bigger Alaskan mill and tackle some really big trees (like a 4 foot oak).

I can't really justify buying a bigger saw (god knows the 394xp will cut almost anything I need it to). Any words of wisdom? Or are my concerns of milling addiction unfounded?

Thanks,

Larry

Welcome to AS Hardhat, and to say milling is addictive is an understatement, it sure sounds like you already have the saw & mill fever, and an appreciation for the wood you cut. Include some pics of your work if you can.

The saws you use for milling will handle up to 24" pretty well but it is hard on a saw, turning out the H screw just a touch gives the saw a richer fuel flow thereby letting it run better under such demanding conditions, opening up the muffler some will also help it run cooler and let out more power, having your oiler turned up to max or even adding an auxiliary oiler will help, and never underestimate the benefit of sharp chain.

Milling big hardwood is easier with a 100+cc saw, used 075/076/084/088/090 are available and have the grunt to mill well.

Do some reading in the Milling forum and you will see some great pics of guys setups who are using CSMs and the different saws that work well.

Welcome to AS and the milling forum. What part of MS are you in?

Yes, milling is VERY addictive. Most people seem to add more and more gear as time goes on. wdchuck pretty much handled all the words of wisdom already.

I've always had a problem with chainsaws. Got 5 of them.
I can't really justify buying a bigger saw (god knows the 394xp will cut almost anything I need it to). Any words of wisdom? Or are my concerns of milling addiction unfounded?

Thanks,

Larry

5 saws is not a problem. Hang around here awhile, you'll see. :)

Justifying saws is against the rules :clap:

Railomatic mentions using a .325 chain even on the big saws, you might want to try it on the 394 before picking up another saw. Even if you do decide on a big saw, I'd recommend converting the bar to 3/8 pitch. The 404's really make a lot of sawdust.

Milling isn't addictive, saws aren't either

Is milling addictive?

What the heck are you talking about!

I do not have an addiction!

Really I don't.

I can quit any time I want!

The fact that I mill is not hurting anyone!

No I did not steal money from your purse to pay for bar oil!

Hauling milled wood is not the reason that you need to drive a pickup truck!

Yes I am sorry that I cut down and milled the maple tree in your dad's back yard!

It was more important to buy those bars and chains versus that medicine that you say you really need!

I do not drool over log pictures on the internet!

Yes I am sorry that I tried to train the dogs to haul logs out of the woods!

I positively would never hang around the internet with a bunch of guys that are addicted to chainsaw and milling when I could be spending precious alone time with you dear!

I repeat....I do not have an addiction!
Really I don't.

Lucedale, MS. Southeast part of the state. I will try to get some pictures of my work this weekend.

I don't have that many big trees. A part of me is worried about my 394xp. I bought it used in 1999 or 2000 and it has been a faithful servant. I don't want to kill it milling. The Poulan 4200 I bought off Ebay probably thought it had died and gone to hell when I was ripping a 2 foot poplar with it using 3/8" regular chain. It was SLOW. The 394xp with ripping chain is much quicker.

is milling addictive? Does a bear crap in the woods? Milling is very addicting, but then I find chainsaws in general addicting, just the milling end more so. I have been able to resist the urge to buy a huge saw because I generally mill logs 20 inches and under. With that said ...I just was given a maple tree, most of which is only firewood, but that 1st 6 feet looks pretty nice. Its 36 to 40 in diameter, depending on how you measure it. Makes me want that ms660 I have been looking at:buttkick:

Before you take the plunge and go for a bigger saw, hold it, first go to your local saw shop and se if they can convert your saw bar to a smaller pitch by replacing the rim and nose.
A 395 can easily drive a 325 chain and 50 inch bar, I use just this on a few of my own rigs, Cannon Superbar and 325 Oregon ripping chain.

Milling is addictive for sure, especially if you can get the lumber for nothing, by doing those a favour clearing away storm damaged trees from their property, or even charging your local council for a late at night clearing when everyone else is sleeping and getting the timber for now't as we say in Yorkshire, short arms and deep pockets comes to mind here.

I love to be millin.

Define addictive... if you mean the more you mill the more you want to mill even more... buy more equipment... Yes! Definitely.

oh its addictive--but tell the significant other--if have one--sure beats drugs,alcohol in excessive amounts--and all sorts of other harmful addictions--and your doing something useful---

Really I don't.

Yes I am sorry that I cut down and milled the maple tree in your dad's back yard!

It was more important to buy those bars and chains versus that medicine that you say you really need!

I positively would never hang around the internet with a bunch of guys that are addicted to chainsaw and milling when I could be spending precious alone time with you dear!

Really I don't.

LOL. I couldnt have said it any better. I started milling with a 60cc saw, then said what the hell and bought a new 395, before it was even broke in good I said what the hell and bought a used 084. I dont know where it will end but Im having a ball doing something that I knew absolutely nothing about 8 months ago. So yes to answer your question it is very addictive. Good luck with everything.

My slight CS addiction just received a massive boost. Yesterday a guy at work gave me a seriously abused Mac PM480 (mostly in bits) and my brother gave me a working Homelite 340 with a 20" rusty bar. Yes, babies by the general standard of what many other site members appear to have, but what the heck, they look so cool lined up against each other!

Railomatic mentions using a .325 chain even on the big saws, you might want to try it on the 394 before picking up another saw. Even if you do decide on a big saw, I'd recommend converting the bar to 3/8 pitch. The 404's really make a lot of sawdust.

I have some .325 for the 44"/ 084 on the work bench as we speak. A full report will be given when I get to try it out.

Really I don't.

Really I don't.

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

That's funny right there... and soooooo true!

I just bought a 36" bar for the 394xp and some bailey's ripping chain. Gonna try some 3/8" lp on the poulan 4200 and see how it does. I wonder how this old beast will hold up to the abuse of milling? Milling is just as cool as can be.

Back