Is milling addictive?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you related to Ultra or Freak? Have you spent time in close proximity to them recently?

You guys make me look like I'm in control.

Mark

No relation, I think. Is OCD genetic?

Just looking out for 'ya. When the wife gives you crap you can say "...but I'm much better than these guys".

No relation, I think. Is OCD genetic?

Just looking out for 'ya. When the wife gives you crap you can say "...but I'm much better than these guys".

So very true. I have only bought one saw since I started on here, Chopwood's 3120, which I needed like another hole in my head, but it was just so, well, pretty and well taken care of...so, millworthy (Remember "spongeworthy" from Seinfeld...never was much on the show, but that line made me choke on popcorn.)

Yeah, some of these guys are just terrible, I'm a stabilizing influence...Besides, my wife is the one with OCD. I've got LMS...Like My Saws, and WAS, Want Another Saw. (Actually, WMS, Want More Saws, but I have to act in control here...for you guys)

Mark

My problem is now I feel an inner urge to buy a 3120xp or a big stihl, get a long bar, a bigger Alaskan mill and tackle some really big trees (like a 4 foot oak).

I can't really justify buying a bigger saw (god knows the 394xp will cut almost anything I need it to). Any words of wisdom? Or are my concerns of milling addiction unfounded?

You can just get a double ended bar and a 395 for the other end. No need to "justify" buying a bigger saw and now you've made it a couple's activity. Kinda romantic.:cheers:

You can just get a double ended bar and a 395 for the other end. No need to "justify" buying a bigger saw and now you've made it a couple's activity. Kinda romantic.:cheers:

:laugh: I never thought about it from that perspective. The problem is, however, it takes a one and a million kind of woman to consider the roar of a chainsaw as romantic. My wife is one and a million in many, many ways, but not so much in this department. It's more like toleration with the hopes I can turn a profit some day.

Tolerance, yep, lots to be said for that

Tolerance is where I am coming from too. Fortunately the "hobby" has paid for itself because I hang myself 60 to 70 feet out of trees that I have to wreck or prune. Terrible way to justify a hobby.... :bang: I actually have a day job that pays pretty well and keeps me safely behind a desk.... The "hobby" has become so lucrative I'm getting professional liability insurance. Something went terribly wrong here. At least I have my 660 and will get to use it for firewood cutting :rock:

:laugh: I never thought about it from that perspective. The problem is, however, it takes a one and a million kind of woman to consider the roar of a chainsaw as romantic. My wife is one and a million in many, many ways, but not so much in this department. It's more like toleration with the hopes I can turn a profit some day.

Very well stated aggie... my situation also. She has never used a chainsaw in her life, hates the mess they make, and basically "tolerates" my woodshop and chainsaws/mills. In my case though, with my little side business selling things as shows, I have already shown her that woodworking tools and chainsaws/mills CAN indeed pay for themselves in time. She likes that part, and is often more enthusiastic about prepping and going to my craft shows than I am. I can't ask for a better situation in that department.

It's great that she's coming around and now supporting you and sees the fruit of your labors.

Very well stated aggie... my situation also. She has never used a chainsaw in her life, hates the mess they make, and basically "tolerates" my woodshop and chainsaws/mills. In my case though, with my little side business selling things as shows, I have already shown her that woodworking tools and chainsaws/mills CAN indeed pay for themselves in time. She likes that part, and is often more enthusiastic about prepping and going to my craft shows than I am. I can't ask for a better situation in that department.

You bring a very good point to light, Woodshop. My wife is much more enthusiastic about helping when I'm closer to the end of paying projects as well, such as detailing, staining, finishing, delivery and collecting of payment. Money can have a funny effect on folks.:D

It's great that she's coming around and now supporting you and sees the fruit of your labors.

Well there is a downside to that actually. There are fewer checks and balances, Example...the most expensive single purchase for a tool so far for me, chainsaws and mills included, has been my planer, about $2500. Big chunk of change, but I don't do that often, and as long as I am still working, I can handle that. I'm looking to expand my little business though, and thinking of upping the ante to a CNC router. Shopbot has one for around $8K that can do anything I would need it to. Can I afford that? No... if I was a full time production shop would it pay for itself in a year or two... yes... but I'm not at this point. However, if I tell her I really need it, and start saving for it, maybe cutting corners elsewhere to get it... she would go along with it because she trusts me and I havn't let her down in the 27 years we've been married yet when it comes to that kind of thing. Now as funny as it sounds, I almost need somebody to argue with me against that, if only so I can't justify it too easily. I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes it's good to have somebody question those kinds of decisions. Kindof keeps you more responsible.

Back