is MS 200T better than 338XPT ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hi guys, the specs give the 338 XPT slightly lighter and 100 $ cheaper and a little stronger.
I`ve heard peoples saying that the 200T is the best in the business.

is it true? have you tested both ?
thanks

alot of guys (includung me) bought a 200t liked it and have never tried anything else

Last edited:
hi guys, the specs give the 338 XPT slightly lighter and 100 $ cheaper and a little stronger.

thanks

You heard right. Are you planning on buying a top handle saw or is this another one of your lets start a brand war thread? Awwww didn't think anyone noticed, think again. Its ok though, carry on..

Matter of opinion.

My old partner swears by the Husky.. but he will use the 200T :)

He says 200T too heavy - but you are talking 7.7 lbs to 7.9 lbs I think.

I have seen others who don't like the feel of the Husky, and prefer the 200T.

I am likely waiting to see the T540XP.

IMHO.. the 200T has more guts.. and I know some like the feel of it better. All personal opinion..

Ensure you have a good dealer.. and go with the saw with good dealer support.

But the T540XP looks sweet :)

The 338XPT is 7.7 lbs
The T540XP is 7.9 lbs (same as 200T) but has more hp and a 38cc engine.

:deadhorse:

Count, are you being serious, or are you again trolling? Either way this is getting old, very old. Your question has been asked & answered hundreds, if not thousands, of times here on AS. Do a search on either saw, & you will find enough reading material to keep you busy for a long time.

Seriously :monkey:.

Count, are you being serious, or are you again trolling? Either way this is getting old, very old. Your question has been asked & answered hundreds, if not thousands, of times here on AS. Do a search on either saw, & you will find enough reading material to keep you busy for a long time.

And frankly you could fill a whole library on material on this.. and still not have a conclusive answer.

Like saying which is better Chevy or Ford pickup.. you gonna get answers both ways.. arguments both ways.. supporting evidence both ways.. and in the end no solid answer.

But in a saw.. always comes down to dealership.. assuming of course you are looking at one of the top two or three brands.

Ford/chevy..you know, they should settle this

And frankly you could fill a whole library on material on this.. and still not have a conclusive answer.

Like saying which is better Chevy or Ford pickup.. you gonna get answers both ways.. arguments both ways.. supporting evidence both ways.. and in the end no solid answer.

But in a saw.. always comes down to dealership.. assuming of course you are looking at one of the top two or three brands.

It would take serious scratch to do this, but a topgear styled ultimate tough test WOULD settle this once and for all. I am thinking, near identical in class pickups as close as possible. do things like run engine wide open until they break. have loaders there, keep dropping in like gravel and whatnot in the beds until the springs collapse. Keep hooking them up to ever heavier weights until they rip apart dragging them, etc. stuff like that. Pick em up with a crane and keep dropping them from higher and higher heights until they are non functional.

OK, dodges too and throw in a coupla jap trucks now they got "full size" trucks. It would get expensive, but what a test!

And HOW about the same thing with some saws? Put the stihl/husky debate to rest. That would be a little more affordable. Run em hard and mean until they break, see who is the last saw standing.

We need one rich guy here to donate a new {class of saw they are fanatical about and insist is the best, for now for the first test it would be top of the line climbing saw from husky, then another similar rich volunteer (perhaps dealers might want to back up their product here if they ain't chikken squat about things...) from stihl, then perhaps some others. Neutral observers, same wood, new stock chains, no modding or porting, FACTORY out of the box stock carb settings. readysetgo beat on them! Put it up live on the internet.

Or the "fans" could each chip in ten bucks or something to back their saw, spread the cost out a little.

What say saw guys, good idea? I'll be fair seeing as how I ain't got a dog in the fight, but would sure like watching and finding out, so I will pony up five bucks apiece to the stihl and the husky teams as a kitty starter until the goal is reached to buy the saws, and maybe five more to the echo team seeing as how I own two and have been seriously thinking about a climbing/tophandle saw anyway. Darin, you willing to host the contest? Or any volunteers from the sponsors or dealers? Need either the live show or have it for download off youtube so we can all see it.

TEH ULTIMATE SAWOFF! MANY SAWS ENTER, ONE SAW LEAVES!

Last edited:
actually I`m being serious;
I don`t care about Stihl/Husky war anymore. why ? because I came to realize that even one saw is 100% perfection and the other just 95%, I may stilll like the 95% one.

I have an altogether reason: a teacher of mine has a company. they are in the exterior design. Mostly lawn, flowers, ornamental trees etc. now and then they toil with a tree or two and every one dreads to do that. they have a Stihl and a Husky and from him not knowing what kind, I expect the low end ones. I am actually thinking becoming part time arborist, doing jobs tree related when those occur. a kind of collaborator or employee don`t know yet.
In time I may grow, if not fade away.

in the future, I may ask what 70 cc saw you prefer so I make a feeling of that and help me choose the best for me; you may think I stir the pot but as I said, I don`t care anymore;
for example if I will need the biggest saw, I`ll favor the 880, not the 3120. don`t know why.

it is true that at first, I was desperately trying to find the better brand; no such thing I believe now. in fact I may try other brands if karma will tell me so.

thank you guys for your opinions. they help, especially if you give an argument such as why you like it.

yours truly The Count.

oh, if you have suggestions about being an arborist you may write me at
[email protected]
you know, tips for starters and such...
that was not a joke.

Fair enough; I have cried "Wolf!!!" one too many times.
cheers.

Last edited:
Matter of opinion.

My old partner swears by the Husky.. but he will use the 200T :)

He says 200T too heavy - but you are talking 7.7 lbs to 7.9 lbs I think.

I have seen others who don't like the feel of the Husky, and prefer the 200T.

I am likely waiting to see the T540XP.

IMHO.. the 200T has more guts.. and I know some like the feel of it better. All personal opinion..

Ensure you have a good dealer.. and go with the saw with good dealer support.

But the T540XP looks sweet :)

The 338XPT is 7.7 lbs
The T540XP is 7.9 lbs (same as 200T) but has more hp and a 38cc engine.

much grateful for your input; I won`t get one just now but if things look up I can`t see me without one.
I`ll look forward for the T540xp. I didn`t know it is due.
thanks again.

thanks

I prefer the Husky, but plenty of folks prefer the Stihl. But with the info presented above, the choice seems to lean towards the Husky!

It is everyones privilage to respond, or not to respond.....:shut-mouth:

I have nothing of value to add on the matter, as I have no relationship to top-handle saws.

much grateful for your input; I won`t get one just now but if things look up I can`t see me without one.
I`ll look forward for the T540xp. I didn`t know it is due.
thanks again.

There is an MS201T "on its way", but that one simply looks too heavy, according to specs - time will tell!

There is an MS201T "on its way", but that one simply looks too heavy, according to specs - time will tell!

contrary to the accusations, I have read that thread. it sure seems that way.
I think that after working in the trees with the 340 any top handle feels like a feather.

Cheers.

Unfortunately I have no friends to let me try one of each and the dealers here are just not reliable.
you are my only source of enlightenment.
:)

Last edited:
Count, FWIW, I climb with a 200T but I think you will be a happy with either. If you are going to be climbing you might want to work on that before you buy a saw. Just to make sure you like it.

oh, I know I do; I did it without safety equipment and cut lots of Juglans 10-14" (those limbs but the trees were left to live limbless) with a hand saw. it was muscle burning damn thing but I did it anyways.

I gave them a chance. I told them rope would design a winning line up. In a thread a while back I can't remember the one:rolleyes: They would completely take over I said I would do it for 100k prolly peanuts compared to what they pay their flunky now lol. I said I would want them to pay Thall to work with me and pay him better than I. They would need to fire their engineer and hire another to work with me a Tommy. They would need to do away with the lady names MS. I think I called it Mr 7k and it would have optional caps and be air injected built it scrench holders etc! Their loss maybe tanaka or some one else wants to steal the show. PM's accepted ,I believe I said if it did not out class every saw on the market I would work for half pay. I have several innovations in mind that would totally blow the competition out the market. :)

Last edited:
As the saying goes amongst most of the arborist companies in my area; the only stihl you want to own is the 200t. We don’t call em the money makers for nothing.

Latest posts

Back