Is red worth ?75 more than blue?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnnt

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Is red worth £75 more than blue?

Looking into getting the Makita version of the Dolmar PS420... The DCS4301. The Makita is £295 delivered and the Dolmar is £379.99 delivered... :confused:

Blue is looking favourite at the minute! :biggrinbounce2:

not sure if both those models are the same...but if they are go blue! I have the Makita 6401..which is the same as a Dolmar 6400..part for part.

Yeah the 4301 is the makita version of the 420... not sure why the numbers are so different though! lol. Dolmar isn't a popular brand over here, it's more makita in the uk.

yeah if its the same go blue all parts are the same as far as I know. Wish I could find a Blue 7900 !! I've heard of some 7300's here in the state but mostly just the 6400 until you go to the smaller saws.

I'd like a makita 7901, but can't justify spending £595 on one... If used ones show up on ebay then they go for a low amount, but i am never lucky enough to get one! lol.

no need to go that big if you don't need it, mine is a back up saw and only gets used on really big stuff ( 24" bar ) or if I need to rescue my go to saw from a pinch. The 6400 has good power but sure is heavy, my go to is a John Deere CS56 which is just a green Efco.

This has nothing to do with your post :jawdrop: but as a side note LOL..when I cut wood at my dad's place he will come down and check on me once in a while and bring a drink..soon as he hears the saw he can tell which one I am using. Amazing the sound difference between the two. The JD has a high pitch 2 stroke sound and the Makita has a deeper more powerful sound. Maybe due to the stroke length or something but still interesting.

lol... good to know. You should get another saw just to confuse him ;)

I like the blue, alot of people call it, but i think it's good to be different. The world would be a boring place if we all had the same saws...

If they are the same I would indeed go blue...its actually an ~£85 difference instead of ~£75.

I like the blue, alot of people call it, but i think it's good to be different.

My signature use to say " I don't do orange " can't remember why I changed it but I've never owned an orange saw other than a project that I traded for a bar and some chains to fit the Blue

Looking into getting the Makita version of the Dolmar PS420... The DCS4301. The Makita is £295 delivered and the Dolmar is £379.99 delivered... :confused:

Blue is looking favourite at the minute! :biggrinbounce2:

Check to make sure they are the are the same model! usually the numbers are not so different. If it is the same. go for the blue. You will like that saw! Its a strong runner!

Check to make sure they are the are the same model! usually the numbers are not so different. If it is the same. go for the blue. You will like that saw! Its a strong runner!

Yeah its the same model. They did do the 420 very briefly, but this has replaced it for some reason. Waiting to sell my 262 though before I make a move on anything. Also looking at a couple of 353 husqvarna's... all depends what I get for my 262xp.

Just curious, why do you want the 4301? I think I remember you posting about your overwhelming CAD. With the 346, wouldn't the 4301 be kind of redundant? What application to you plan to use it for?

Tim

Yeah its the same model. They did do the 420 very briefly, but this has replaced it for some reason. Waiting to sell my 262 though before I make a move on anything. Also looking at a couple of 353 husqvarna's... all depends what I get for my 262xp.

I take it you like the 357xp better than the 262xp? I really liked mine while I had it, then it became expendable with the addition of the 346.

Tim

Just curious, why do you want the 4301? I think I remember you posting about your overwhelming CAD. With the 346, wouldn't the 4301 be kind of redundant? What application to you plan to use it for?

Tim

You remember right! The 346 is my work saw, so technically not mine although there is only me who uses it. I want a nice light weight saw for bucking firewood, around 8"-10" as I plan on selling it on a bigger scale come next winter. The 357 is ideal to deal with the bigger end of the wood I deal with although I 'NEED' something bigger... haha. I had been using the 357 a hello of a lot, even at work but then recently I have been using the 346 again and have remembered how nice it is to have a lightweight saw. If I could get one or both of the 353's I have seen on eBay then that would set me up quite nicely, especially as they look like new! Plus then things stay interchangeable in-between all my saws.

Back