Is Stihl strato charged MS362 almost as good as plain MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Q brake is something to avoid!

It is one more thing that could go wrong, and could even be dangerous if you are accostumed to it, and it suddenly fails to work.......:jawdrop:

It also adds a tad of weight, but you probably won't notise that.

i have one and i think it stinks causes more problems.

I have been a stihl user for quite a while and i still dont know their terminology but i do know what semi-chisel and i know what full-chisel is. Personally i dont use semi becuase its to slow.

To put it out in the open, before I give my opinion, I want to say that my favorite saw that I actually own is my 361. And with good reason. It's reliable, powerful, light and smooth. However, next to a 362, it becomes clear that it's aging technology. A good friend of mine has a 362 and I love it. Given the choice of buying a saw I would use to either make or save money, without a doubt I would pick a 362. The only diadvantage is that on paper, the 362 in a few oz. heavier. In real life, it's nearly impossible to tell which weighs more or less. For a toy, get a used 361 and have it ported, for a work/firewood saw, get a 362.

To put it out in the open, before I give my opinion, I want to say that my favorite saw that I actually own is my 361. And with good reason. It's reliable, powerful, light and smooth. However, next to a 362, it becomes clear that it's aging technology. A good friend of mine has a 362 and I love it. Given the choice of buying a saw I would use to either make or save money, without a doubt I would pick a 362. The only diadvantage is that on paper, the 362 in a few oz. heavier. In real life, it's nearly impossible to tell which weighs more or less. For a toy, get a used 361 and have it ported, for a work/firewood saw, get a 362.

where is the 362 made?

No comparison, really. The linkage is entirely different. The entire saw is entirely different! It's nothing link your traditional pro stihl saws.

how does it cut compared to the saws in my sig I'm seriously considering the 346 but want to check my best options if its almost as heavy as a ms 44o but not as fast there's no point for me.

For me if I bought a new Stihl in that size I would go with the 361, reason being, it's more simplictic in design, less parts, easier to work on and maybe cheaper to fix. I ran one at a GTG (362) and thought it had plenty of nads but the 361 is a nice saw also. Plus I think the 362 is a bit more expensive and at the end of the day it isn't going to cut anymore wood for teh extra money. Whats a P&C cost for a 362 vs. a 361?

wondering some saws are made in china or brazil correct and i havent bought a new stihl in a while and just expecting stuff to get outsourced.like a lot of saws now have carbs made in china.

The 361 was made in Germany and in the US, I believe the same is the case with the 362 (but no evidence so far).

how does it cut compared to the saws in my sig I'm seriously considering the 346 but want to check my best options if its almost as heavy as a ms 44o but not as fast there's no point for me.

That is just what it is, or you could say it is midway between the 361 and the 440 in weight (5.6 - 5.9 - 6.2kg), but surely not in power.

Be aware that I never used one, and don't plan to, so this is "paper only".

Last edited:

You've got a huge gap between the 200T and 440. The 361 is not enough lighter to make worth using over the 440. I personally think the 346 would fit that gap beautifully. IMHO, A 50cc and 70cc+ is the ideal 2-saw plan.

You've got a huge gap between the 200T and 440. The 361 is not enough lighter to make worth using over the 440. I personally think the 346 would fit that gap beautifully. IMHO, A 50cc and 70cc+ is the ideal 2-saw plan.

:agree2: (if you need a 70cc saw).

I have a different perspective on 55-60cc saws than most people on here. To me they are the perfect firewood saw- lighter than a 70cc but stronger than the smaller screamer saws.
Admittedly enough I'm a generation or two behind- my two most used saws are an 034/036 and a Husky 254. There is no comparison between these saws and my 026 in terms of power..
I'll surely own a 346/5100, 361/362, 372/7900 combo at some point but the old junkers keep piling up the chips so I keep running them.
The strato saws I've seen have been VERY impressive in terms of their cutting ability and it really comes down to personal preference like has been said a million times on here.
You can't really go wrong with any of these saws- just get one and get sawin cause that's what it's all about..:givebeer::greenchainsaw:
:cheers:

i have a different perspective on 55-60cc saws than most people on here. To me they are the perfect firewood saw- lighter than a 70cc but stronger than the smaller screamer saws.
Admittedly enough i'm a generation or two behind- my two most used saws are an 034/036 and a husky 254. There is no comparison between these saws and my 026 in terms of power..
I'll surely own a 346/5100, 361/362, 372/7900 combo at some point but the old junkers keep piling up the chips so i keep running them.
The strato saws i've seen have been very impressive in terms of their cutting ability and it really comes down to personal preference like has been said a million times on here.
You can't really go wrong with any of these saws- just get one and get sawin cause that's what it's all about..:givebeer::greenchainsaw:
:cheers:

+1

Latest posts

Back